DoomRL > Discussion

Progressing on UV Arch Ao Lt. How do I improve?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Tormuse:
Everyone's offering lots of good advice here!  :)  The only point I disagree with is LuckyDee's comment about Ironman.  (Sorry, LuckyDee)  It's true that levels in Iro make it less likely that you will go berserk from explosions and so on, but in my opinion, you don't go berserk from explosions often enough to make that worthwhile anyway; I'd rather have the extra hitpoints.

And yeah, Vampyre is the obvious choice of master trait for this challenge, since it covers your ammo worries and your health worries at the same time, but if you ever decide to do a non-melee build, then you're really going to want to work on increasing your damage per shot so you save as much ammo as possible.  The best traits for that would be Ammochain, (which I'm not a fan of, but can't deny that it's a real ammo-saver) and Sharpshooter.  (Constant max damage and accuracy and therefore max efficiency)  And it just so happens that I recorded myself playing through ArchAoLT with a Sharpshooter build fairly recently!  :D

LuckyDee:

--- Quote from: Tormuse on January 16, 2018, 15:49 ---The only point I disagree with is LuckyDee's comment about Ironman.
--- End quote ---

That piece of advice is actually based entirely on one run, or rather the advice I got on the mortem. I had IRO1, which caused the Mastermind to not deal enough damage to trigger. Run ended right there D:

Tormuse:
The Mastermind doesn't do enough damage to trigger berserk anyway, either with it's ranged attack or with its melee attack.  If someone said that not having Iro in that circumstance would have helped you, I think you were misled.  It mostly triggers from explosions, like from barrels, Barons, Revenants, Arch-Viles, Mancubi, and Cyberdemons, and also stronger melee attacks like from the Angel of Death.  It's nice when that berserk power happens, but (in my opinion, and I recognize that others have different opinions) having low hitpoints is too big a risk when the rapid-fire enemies like Captains, Commandoes, Arachnotrons, and the Mastermind can do massive amounts of damage without having any chance of making you berserk.

Omega Tyrant:
I think not levelling IM as a Scout/Technician to aid Berserker procs can be a good tactic, a decent source of things will proc it, which besides getting you berserked, can significantly aid your survivability when the resistances kick in against the initial heavy blow. And multiple things can set it off reliably, including barrels and your own rockets. As a Marine though, I can see it being impractical to not invest in IM for Berserker, as Arch-viles are the only thing that will set it off reliably, and you'll have a hard time trying to intentionally set it off yourself.

LuckyDee:

--- Quote from: Tormuse on January 16, 2018, 23:02 ---If someone said that not having Iro in that circumstance would have helped you, I think you were misled.
--- End quote ---

Funny you should say that, 'cause I could have sworn that it was you :)

EDIT: went through all my mortem posts, can't find it anymore :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version