Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [H|100%|YAAM] Punching my way for Strongman Diamond/First diamond  (Read 2866 times)

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile

For my first diamond I decided to go for Strongman Diamond (and in the process get the rest of the Strongman badges that I haven't gotten yet). My first attempt I tried to exploit the Juggler trick of past versions to use melee weapons while my hands were empty, but I wasn't aware that 0.9.9.7 fixed kill attribution so it's properly given to the actual weapon used to kill and not what you had equipped, thus resulting in no Strongman badges when I got to the result screen. In my second attempt, I got to dlevel 14 and decided to try Spider's Lair, for experience and to get some much needed armor shards for my heavily battered armor that I was experiencing a severe drought of. However shortly into it, I decided to equip my Combat Shotgun to help attract/weaken Arachnotrons and shortly after one I was attacking was killed by another behind it while I had it equipped. I wasn't given a definitive answer in my thread asking about fist-only runs if kills are attributed to your equipped weapon when a monster dies by indirect means, but I didn't want to potentially finish the rest of the run for nothing so I gave up there. The third run however was successful.

For my traits I went to Brute 3 immediately, as I really needed that extra punching power and wouldn't be able to activate Berserker with my fists without it anyway. After getting Vampyre I went and picked up two levels of Finesse, as besides providing much needed help to my offensive prowess, being able to get an extra hit or two in would save a lot of retaliatory hits in return and open up Whizkid, saving me more damage than TaN would, and I didn't bother getting the second level of Badass as I figured it would be useless when I could rarely stay above 150% even with Vampyre. After Finesse I went for TaN instead of Whizkid, as I had no worthwhile modding I could do with my armor.

For my progression, I completely skipped Hell's Arena; I figure a single wave was doable, but I didn't want to be left without any means of healing afterward while I would be taking so much unavoidable damage. Chained Court is a given stop, and then fortunately I got Military Base, where I was able to camp out and punch out of the formers with little damage, while the elites provided enough experience to get me to Vampyre before Anomaly. Then Hell's Armory went smoothly, giving me a nice stock of Blue Armors and an onyx mod. Unfortunately I immediately made my Red Armor ballistic, so I couldn't rid myself of armor concerns nor maybe make a Tower Shield that would reduce all melee damage to 1 without berserk for a while. I decided to hold on to it instead of using it on a Blue, in hopes of finding another Red Armor or a good exotic armor (which wouldn't come for a long time). That supply of Blue Armors went away fast even with many power and bulk mods, and my Ballistic Red Armor was perpetually damaged, while new Blues were uncommon and Armor Shards weren't anywhere close to common enough to keep up. I tried Spider's Lair again for those Armor Shards, using a junk Green Armor and then no armor when it got destroyed, but I was able to beat it expending only a single medkit, making Spider's Lair worthwhile. Speaking of medkits, I found a ton of large ones in this run, and despite Vampyre not being able to keep up with the damage I took, I only expended a few throughout the run. Another time I used one was when I had a really close call with a Mancubus in a hallway while wearing the Ballistic Red Armor, where I nearly died but a Berserker proc saved me and left me at 28% health. I also did City of Skulls, having an Invulnerability near the stairs that allowed me to get past the initial ambush without damage, then I used rocket jumps to find more Souls/Elementals before my Invulnerability ran out, and used more rocket jumping while berserk to get near Elementals before they could spawn too many Souls. Did the same for the Agony Elemental, getting in melee range before it spawned anything more than a single Pain Elemental, and then I was able to take it and its spawn out without issue. I got three Hatred Skulls from it, and carried two around for emergencies afterward.

Cybie was a bit troublesome, his rockets were failing to activate Berserker and I was taking a significant amount of damage while my final Blue Armor was getting shredded, so I just ran into his melee range and don the Ballistic Red Armor, using the Chainsaw to weaken him until he was near death and then finishing him off with my fists. Then in the Unholy Cathedral I did the same Chainsaw to near death and then punching strat to kill the AoD, though I left the Scythe behind as I figured it would be too risky to use it over the Chainsaw to weaken the Mastermind. The following Hell levels were rough, with one starting me in a room where the only way out had two Revenants while I lacked any fire resistance. I tried getting through, but after a few rockets that dealt quite a bit of damage but failed to activate Berserker, I used a Homing Phase to get out of there, while next to the stairs was fortunately next to a swarm of Pinkies that allowed me to heal up and get some berserk to clear out a good portion of the map. I skipped the Vaults, as I didn't want to gamble with my lone Phase Device and while lacking fire resistance, and then of course skipped The Mortuary/Limbo, as my fists would have no chance in hell of putting up a remotely reasonable DPS that would allow me to keep up, while it would be extremely risky to try corpse disposing without something inadvertently getting killed while my hands weren't empty. Then finally on the fifth level of Hell, after being about ready to use my Onyx mod on a Blue Armor, I found another Red Armor to use my Onyx on, ending my armor crisis. Also found a Gothic Armor right next to it, ensuring I would be taking 1 melee damage from everything, but I never needed it as I blitzed through the rest of the run with my PO-modded Red Armor and killed the Mastermind without issue. I was going to use a Hatred Skull before going into Dis, but with only a few corpses near the stairs, I ran out before I could even hit the switch.

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Tyson, level 12 Arch-Vile Colonel Marine,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 1799968 turns and scored 176533 points.
 He played for 3 hours, 6 minutes and 49 seconds.
 He wasn't afraid to be hurt plenty.

He killed 702 out of 702 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!

He saved himself 2 times.

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 7
  Levels completed : 7

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  Sunrise Iron Fist
  UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Strongman Bronze Badge
  Strongman Silver Badge
  Strongman Gold Badge
  Strongman Platinum Badge
  Strongman Diamond Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ###########................................################
  ##########...............####...............###############
  #########.......####.....####.....####.......##############
  ########........####.....####.....####........#############
  #######.........####.....####.....####.........############
  ######..........####..............####..........###########
  #####............................................##########
  #####....####............................####....##########
  #####...&####............................####....##########
  #####............................................##########
  ######..........####..............####..........###########
  #######.........####.....####.....####.........############
  ########........####.....####.....####........#############
  #########.......####.....####.....####.......##############
  ##########...............####..%............###############
  ###########...................X............################
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 108/60   Experience 64787/12
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +8  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +12

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Marine

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Tough as nails   (Level 2)
    Brute            (Level 4)
    Berserker        (Level 1)
    Whizkid          (Level 1)
    Badass           (Level 1)
    Vampyre          (Level 1)

Bru->Bru->Bru->Ber->Bad->MVm->Fin->Fin->TaN->TaN->WK->Bru->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   red armor [6] (OP)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   nothing
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [0/0] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   chainsaw (4d6) (T)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] combat shotgun (7d3) [5/5] (T1)
    [b] rocket launcher (6d6) [1/1]
    [c] super shotgun (8d4)x2 [2/2]
    [d] blue armor [4/4] (55%) (P)
    [e] ballistic red armor [4/4] (100%)
    [f] gothic armor [6/6] (200%) (A)
    [g] shotgun shell (x53)
    [h] rocket (x14)
    [i] rocket (x14)
    [j] small med-pack
    [k] large med-pack
    [l] large med-pack
    [m] large med-pack
    [n] large med-pack
    [o] large med-pack
    [p] large med-pack
    [q] large med-pack
    [r] large med-pack
    [s] phase device
    [t] technical mod pack
    [u] agility mod pack

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Bullet     - internal 60%   torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Melee      - internal 60%   torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Shrapnel   - internal 60%   torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Acid       - internal 60%   torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Fire       - internal 60%   torso 85%   feet 60% 
    Plasma     - internal 60%   torso 60%   feet 60% 

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

70 former humans
    67 former sergeants
    32 former captains
    95 imps
    66 demons
    206 lost souls
    27 cacodemons
    22 hell knights
    21 barons of hell
    31 arachnotrons
    5 former commandos
    12 pain elementals
    6 revenants
    16 mancubi
    7 arch-viles
    5 elite former humans
    5 elite former sergeants
    2 elite former captains
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 shambler
    1 agony elemental
    1 Angel of Death
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 7 he marched into the Military Base.
  He purified his fellow comrades.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 8 he assembled a ballistic armor!
  On level 9 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 9 he assembled a tactical boots!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 11 he arrived at the Containment Area.
  He emerged from the Containment Area victorious!
  On level 12 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 13 he found the Trigun!
  On level 14 he ventured into the Spider's Lair.
  He cleared the Lair, kickin' serious spider ass!
  On level 15 he found the Butcher's Cleaver!
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 17 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 17 he found the Azrael's Scythe!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 24 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

Boom! You dodge! Boom! You dodge! Boom! You dodge! Boom! You are hit! You
 dodge! Boom! You need to taste blood!
 You hit the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! You need to
 taste blood!
 taste blood!
 You need to taste blood!
 You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit!
 You need to taste blood!
 taste blood!
 You hit the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! You're going
 berserk! You need to taste blood!
 You hit the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind dies. Congratulations!
 You defeated the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>...
 You feel relatively safe now.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

114 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 58 of those were killed.
 6 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 6 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

44 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 6 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 23 killed the bitch and survived.
 15 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:37 by Omega Tyrant »
Badges - [26|26|26|17|5|0]
Medals - 35/43

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Very nice win!  :D  Strongman Diamond offers a pretty decent challenge; well done!  :)

...I decided to equip my Combat Shotgun to help attract/weaken Arachnotrons and shortly after one I was attacking was killed by another behind it while I had it equipped. I wasn't given a definitive answer in my thread asking about fist-only runs if kills are attributed to your equipped weapon when a monster dies by indirect means, but I didn't want to potentially finish the rest of the run for nothing so I gave up there...

Ah, I didn't realize you never got an answer to that!  Your instincts were correct that that would have invalidated the badge; that Arachnotron that died in crossfire would have been attributed to your Combat Shotgun, since that was what was in your hands.

...and used more rocket jumping while berserk to get near Elementals before they could spawn too many Souls...

Setting aside the fact that rocket-jumping near Pain Elementals is risky because you might accidentally kill Lost Souls, why would you want to stop them from spawning Lost Souls?  Pain Elementals are a huge benefit for a Vampyre build, because you can farm them for infinite health!
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile

Setting aside the fact that rocket-jumping near Pain Elementals is risky because you might accidentally kill Lost Souls, why would you want to stop them from spawning Lost Souls?  Pain Elementals are a huge benefit for a Vampyre build, because you can farm them for infinite health!

My first attempt at this (where I was actually using the Chainsaw via Juggler), I nearly lost at Abyssal Plains when I ended up getting overwhelmed against the Agony Elemental and had to retreat away to take it at a much slower pace to win, so I was concerned that with moving so slowly and actually using my fists this time, too many Lost Souls would get spawned and I would lose more health than I gained back. I wasn't concerned with killing Lost Souls with the rocket jumps though, since I made sure to do it when none were onscreen, and their massive fire resistance would protect them from dying if they got caught offscreen by the edge of the explosion.
Badges - [26|26|26|17|5|0]
Medals - 35/43

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Yeah, the ambush in Abyssal Plains can be quite deadly; there's just no room to maneuver.  :|  Other than that, with careful maneuvering, it's fairly easy to farm Pain Elementals as long as you don't let yourself get surrounded and overwhelmed; it's just a matter of keeping the Lost Soul population under control by periodically going out of the Pain Elemental's view so it stops spawning them.  1 or 2 levels in TaN is also a big help for keeping them from damaging you too much and making sure you make a net gain of hitpoints.  I made a three-hour example of it here.  :)

One more thing I forgot to comment on:

...I got three Hatred Skulls from it...

During a melee game?  :o  You were surely blessed by the RNG on this run!  O_o
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos
Pages: [1]