Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tower defense style roguelike  (Read 9299 times)

Sakabatou

• Private
    • View Profile
Tower defense style roguelike
« on: April 11, 2007, 13:52 »

Just thought of it, the character could deploy the towers and they would fire on the creeps!

What do you think?

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Tower defense style roguelike
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 15:16 »

Not much really. There are way more than enough TD games out there (I'm looking at you Newgrounds) and roguelikes are definitely not a good medium to present a TD game.

However strategy games can work as a semi roguelike, just look at Dwarf Fortress.

www.bay12games.com

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 02:54 »

Just thought of it, the character could deploy the towers and they would fire on the creeps!

What do you think?

I have a working ASCII engine for such a game (with monsters spawning, moving and attacking, towers being built and shooting, all in realtime), but currently have no interest in designing one (tower types, game balance, monster spawning algorithm).

If anyone volunteers to brainstorm such stuff, game might be completed real quick.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:12 »

Hmm well, RL tower defense is maybe a bit unlogic as it's turn based (unless you like pressing space all the time while watching your turrets destroy enemies), but yeah maybe if we do it in realtime it might become a great game.
What I'm kinda thinking of, is something in the style of that flash game Vector TD (http://www.vectortd.com, and yeah it's also on NG :p), only with ASCII chars instead of tiles. Could be really good.

I'm definatly in for this, and I'd like to help with the development to get some design/implementation XP :)
What language is the engine written in?
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:28 »

Well, you can implement Tower Assault, you deploy marines with weapons. On the turrerts, there are mancubi, imps, revenants... On of the marines is carrying a thermie and has to plant it somewhere on the map.

Marines can destroys towers, kill monsters, etc.
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:00 »

Hmm well, RL tower defense is maybe a bit unlogic as it's turn based (unless you like pressing space all the time while watching your turrets destroy enemies), but yeah maybe if we do it in realtime it might become a great game.
What I'm kinda thinking of, is something in the style of that flash game Vector TD (http://www.vectortd.com, and yeah it's also on NG :p), only with ASCII chars instead of tiles. Could be really good.

I'm definatly in for this, and I'd like to help with the development to get some design/implementation XP :)
What language is the engine written in?

It's not "we can", it's "already done" :). Realtime version of Valkyrion Golem is already done and it works (yeah, Kornel hates my way of structuring things, but it works nevertheless).

Played Vector TD in a past. Fun stuff.

Language: FreePascal with Valkyrie\Golem. Global variables and Typecastings all around, by design, so that might scare you away.

Mhm... The only thing currently unimplemented is sentient placing of monsters (as in increasing semi-random waves), mostly it's, as I've already said, a design work. Would you be interested in it as well, or only the programming part is of interest for you?

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 05:03 »

Well, you can implement Tower Assault, you deploy marines with weapons. On the turrerts, there are mancubi, imps, revenants... On of the marines is carrying a thermie and has to plant it somewhere on the map.

Marines can destroys towers, kill monsters, etc.

That could work, except I would absolutely hate having to implement pathfinding for monsters to evade towers. Perhaps it would be worth to separate tower\monster space.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12 »

Would you be interested in it as well, or only the programming part is of interest for you?
Tbh I never programmed in fpc :S
But the designing job would be perfectly fine.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 06:15 »

Then you can start right now :). Maybe we should move the discussion into personal messages for us not to spam the forums.

First, you should outline the generic theme of a game; then you can proceed to tower and monster types.

And thinking of monster deployment algorithm (pseudocode or just words would be fine) would be of great use too :).

Today or tomorrow I'll send you a technical demo for you to have better grasp of what is the material we are dealing with.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:22 »

And how is the project developing? Any progress?
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.
Pages: [1]