Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 04:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.8.5|Endless|12|YASD] Sudden death (but aren't they all?) :)  (Read 15672 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

So, I decided to try a different strategy this time...  I left my Strength low so I could put more focus on Dexterity.  It's an expensive investment, since Dexterity points cost more, but I was hoping that the increased dodge chance would pay off in the long run.  It meant that I had to spend a lot more time kiting the larger monsters, but I was still doing pretty well and even as late as Night 12, I still had a good collection of resources.

The end came pretty unexpectedly.  I was running ahead of that horde of monsters you see in the mortem, (including a demon) and I had a priceless opportunity to get a swing at a Wraith that was severely wounded and at the front of the group.  I had 6 hitpoints, but I was berserk at the time.  I thought I had a good chance of killing it with one hit.  I thought that, even if it got a swing at me, (which wasn't certain) there was a good chance it would miss, and even if it hit, I really didn't expect it to be able to do 6 damage through my extra defense from being berserk.  Looking at the game and analyzing it afterward, I still think my death had a really low probability to happen.

Oh well...  on the plus side, it's my highest scoring game so far!  Highest number of kills too; almost 2000!  :D

-- Berserk! (0.8.5 ) Post Mortem -------------------------------------

Character name  : Tormuse
  Game type       : Endless
  Nights survived : 12
  Monsters killed : 1995

STR: 12  DEX: 16  END: 12  WIL: 14
  Speed: 111  HP: -1/160  EN: 38/130
  Base damage: 1d6+7  Weight: 12

-- Graveyard ---------------------------------------------------------

.....................#........#..#........----....
  ....:..........:::::::%..:.%:.%:..........-.-.....
  .......::..........::::::......%:.%...#...........
  ..#.....:...:..:.....:.:..:......:........#.......
  .............::...:..:...:........................
  ........:.%.:::.......................:...#.......
  .....%...:::.................:.:.....%:...:.......
  ..........::.:.........::.:..::.........%:...:#...
  ......:....:.....:......::....:.:......%.%%.:.--..
  ............................:....-..........:..--.
  ................--..........:.....::.:%.::%....-..
  ...........--..----.........:...:.-.s..%::%.....-.
  .....%...:---..----..........%:Yb-Y:.:.:%%:.......
  .......::.:::.-..--...........-.b.ss..%%.%.%......
  ..#....%%:.:...-..-........ss&Y-s.s#Ys--%.::%.....
  .......%.:%....-............ssYWYs.s..Y-.:%.......
  ........%..:................s-sbh..Yb.#.%.%.......
  .#.........::..............ss-.W#sbssY%.%.:#......
  .................-.........shs#Yis.s.:..:..%......
  ............#%.-:-..:.....Wss-YssssYs.%.....#.....
  ..............--.-.....:.@@sssbYbss#Ys....:........
  ................:.....:...s.shbbssY#Y.............
  ............%.......:-......ss.b.ssY.....#......#.
  ..#........#........-.---..Y..bb.s..#.............
  ...................-...-...#..#...#...............

-- Weapons left ------------------------------------------------------

Cannon (0/2)  Crossbow (6/48)  Knives (10)  Bombs (3)  FairyDust (2)

-- Kills (1995) ------------------------------------------------------

11 demons
  131 bulldemons
  819 beasts
  138 mandagores
  7 defilers
  163 imps
  95 phasehounds
  488 skeletons
  26 wraiths
  2 spores
  32 scavengers
  2 treespirit
  6 treants
  40 townspeople
  29 ice devils
  4 yeti
  2 blizzards

-- Skills (13) -------------------------------------------------------

Ironman (level 10)
  Running (level 3)

-- Messages ----------------------------------------------------------

You hit the blizzard!
 You hit the phasehound!
 The phasehound dies!
 The blizzard freezes you!
 You hit the skeleton!
 The skeleton dies!
 You hit the wraith!
 The wraith hits you!
 You die!...
 Press <Enter>

-- Achievements ------------------------------------------------------

Max kills in one turn    : 27
  Longest killing sequence : 27 kills in 1 turns.
  Survived for             : 12026 turns
  Died on                  : Snow
  Reason of death          : killed by a wraith

Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

The RNG giveth, the RNG taketh away.

I still need to figure out how to play BerserkRL properly myself.  Hahahaha...

Nice uhhh death?
I computed, therefore I was.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

I still need to figure out how to play BerserkRL properly myself.  Hahahaha...

Hmm...  well, I guess I can talk a bit about my own strategy...

I'm a huge fan of the running ability, but it only becomes really useful if you upgrade it, so the first thing I do is take two levels of Endurance and max out Running ASAP.  A lot of my gameplay involves running ahead of the mobs so they don't surround and overwhelm me.  It's impossible to avoid damage altogether, like in DRL, but I do what I can to mitigate it.

My strategies for individual enemies:

Imps:  Kill them fast with the crossbow;  run a step away from whatever I'm fighting to do it.  (I don't like being hit from a distance while I'm trying to stay ahead of the mob of melee enemies)

Bulldemons:  Watch out for their charging ability.  I never stand exactly two squares from them in any direction, because I know they will charge and hit me for large damage.  If I approach them, I always stand a knight's move away and let them come to me.

Mandagores:  They hit hard; they hit very, very hard, but they're slow!  I never take on more than one at a time if I can help it.  Of course, in later levels, there get to be so many of them that I don't have a choice, but by then I tend to have more ability to keep ahead of them.  They heal themselves by eating other enemies and it can be entertaining to get them to eat Bulldemons, but it's generally advisable to avoid going toe-to-toe with them if possible.

Scavengers:  They heal themselves by eating corpses, so I try to lure them away from any corpses before fighting them.  (Of course, as the battlefield gets littered with bodies, this gets harder and harder to do over time)

Phasehounds:  I like to prioritize hitting them, not because they're more dangerous, but I only have to hit them once and they teleport away.  They're the "I'll fight you later" enemy.  :D

Ice Devils:  Like imps, but more dangerous because of their freezing ability.

Yetis:  Like Mandagores, but more dangerous because they only appear on ice levels where you move slower.  (Side note:  I hate ice levels)  :P

Treespirits:  Kill them fast.  They have the ability to bring trees to life and turn them into Treants.  The Treants themselves are very, very slow and easy to avoid, but they hit very hard and it's just generally better to have fewer enemies on the battlefield.  (Treespirits can also teleport, which can be a bit annoying)

Wraiths:  They like to raise their own personal army of Skeletons.  The Skeletons themselves are slow and not too hard to fight, but it's easy to get mobbed by them, so it's generally good to take out Wraiths fast.  Wraiths seem to be resistant to the Crossbow, so I often have to expend a bit of energy to run up to them to melee them to death, usually trying to do it in a position where there's a wall behind them so they don't get knocked back away from me and I can kill them quickly.

Defilers:  The spores they launch aren't worth fighting, because they're immobile and explode on their own without any intervention from me.  It's tempting to just leave the Defilers alive, since I can lure enemies over to the spores and let the spore explosions hurt them...  but the other ability of Defilers is to infect enemies with a disease that makes them explode when they die, so that makes them potentially very dangerous, so I tend to prioritize killing them.  (Though not quite as highly prioritized as Wraiths, for example)

Blizzards:  I didn't even know they were a thing until very recently.  I've only encountered them twice, so I haven't figured out how to deal with them consistently.

Demons:  It took me a while to realize that their crazy names actually mean something!  :)  I've been trying to figure out what each of the prefixes/suffixes mean and here's what I've got so far...  (I'll spoiler tag it in case anyone wants to figure it out)  :)

Spoiler: Demon names (click to show/hide)

Some general notes:  Keep an eye on the "pain" display; if it gets too high, you won't be able to hit anything, so it's best to back away until the pain goes down; personally, I don't bother trying to fight if it goes above 3.

Also, periodically, you go berserk!  :)  You can tell when this is going to happen by looking at your hitpoint metre.  When you start, it's all light red and it gradually changes to dark red over time.  You go berserk when the dark red part reaches your current level of hitpoints.  This makes it a bit of a catch 22 about when you go berserk; if your hitpoints are low at the time, it will last longer, but you will also be closer to death.  There are a lot of benefits to being berserk, like you do more damage, you take less damage, and you're unaffected by pain and freezing, but you can't reload your weapons, so use them sparingly.

Well, I guess that's my strategy guide for BerserkRL.  That's probably more than you were asking for, thelaptop, but hopefully, somebody will find it useful.  :)

EDIT:  (Sept 18, 2018)  I don't know if anyone will read this, but I added on to the Demon name section.  :)

EDIT2:  (Jan 13, 2020)  And one more for the Demon name section!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:17 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: [0.8.5|Endless|12|YASD] Sudden death (but aren't they all?) :)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:52 »

2 Fairydusts... you could have killed so much more!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.5|Endless|12|YASD] Sudden death (but aren't they all?) :)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 16:44 »

I know, right?  I guess I was playing on the edge juuuust a little too much.  :P
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: [1]