Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 19:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!] [AoSh+AoOC] First Ever Angelic Badge!!!  (Read 5558 times)

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[N!] [AoSh+AoOC] First Ever Angelic Badge!!!
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:45 »

First off. apologies if I am being what is considered 'spammy' on these forums. I won't post every mortem, but I have posted several that were major achievements for myself, whom I consider a moderately skilled player, but not really elite like some of you guys.

So First ever angelic badge!!! In like 8 years of playing I think: The shottyman angelic badge, for completing AoSH and AoOC on Nightmare! I also, without planning to, got the daredevil diamond badge for completing AoOC on nightmare with 80% kills. Sweet. I tend to do well on shotgun based challenges. My first ever completed nightmare run was on AoSh, even before I had completed the standard game on N!. (In truth, I still haven't completed the standard game on nightmare.)

Finding Nyarlototeps boots was far more of a help than I would have thought, as they allowed me to run across some pretty dangerous areas, as well as that speed boost. They really went from being a nice find to being crucial to the success of the run. In one place I had to run through a lot of lava to get to the stairs, in several other places I was able to stand on the lava behind cover to fight enemies that would have got really good firing angles on me otherwise.

Also of interest, on a previous attempt, I literally started right next to a switch. So I used it, and it flooded the level with nukage. Always pays to read the level feeling text, which I always forget to. Anyway, I stepped into the nearest doorway, and literally went up 5 levels in a couple of seconds, as everything on the level died died in the nukage over the next few turns.. Easiest 5 levels I ever got.

Much gratitude to the many insanely skilled players on these forums. Without lurking on these forums the last couple of months, I would never have seriously contemplated nightmare runs, and never seriously considered chasing down angelic badges. But I have learned that not only are these challenges even theoretically possible, many, if not all, have actually been completed.

And also thanks to Tormuse. While watching his very impressive ArchAoHu N! run on youtube, I learned the trick of luring the spider mastermind up to the northern section of Dis, where you can trap her in (in my case) a two squares wide corridor, so she cant keep strafing outwards to get the wider angle required to get a shot on you.

Cheers everyone.

Anyway, to wit:

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

naralyssa, level 9 Cyberdemon Lt. General Marine,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 39627 turns and scored 237699 points.
 He played for 52 minutes and 49 seconds.
 He opposed the Nightmare!

He killed 461 out of 544 hellspawn. (84%)
 He was an Angel of Shotgunnery!
 He was also an Angel of Overconfidence!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 4
  Levels visited   : 2
  Levels completed : 0

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (silver cluster)
  Shottyman Angelic Badge
  Daredevil Diamond Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ####.......................%........#####################>#
  ###...............####...............######################
  ##.......####.....####.....####X......#####################
  #........####.....####.....####........####################
  .........####.....####.....####.........###################
  .........####..............####..........##################
  ..........................................#################
  ..####............................####....#################
  .&####............................####....#################
  ..........................................#################
  .........####..............####..........##################
  .........####.....####.....####.........###################
  #........####.....####.....####........####################
  ##.......####.....####.....####.......#####################
  ###...............####...............######################
  ####................................#####################>#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 90/90   Experience 36792/9
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Marine

Ironman          (Level 3)
    Reloader         (Level 2)
    Badass           (Level 2)
    Shottyman        (Level 1)
    Army of the Dead (Level 1)

Rel->Rel->SM->Bad->Bad->MAD->Iro->Iro->Iro->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   nothing
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   assault shotgun (7d3) [3/6] (T1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   Nyarlaptotep's Boots [6/6] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   nothing

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] shotgun shell (x50)
    [b] shotgun shell (x50)
    [c] shotgun shell (x50)
    [d] shotgun shell (x50)
    [e] shotgun shell (x50)
    [f] shotgun shell (x50)
    [g] shotgun shell (x34)
    [h] power cell (x50)
    [i] bulk mod pack
    [j] shell box (x100)
    [k] power battery (x120)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Acid       - internal 0%    torso 0%    feet 30% 
    Fire       - internal 0%    torso 0%    feet 30% 

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

9 former humans
    97 former sergeants
    45 former captains
    35 imps
    17 demons
    158 lost souls
    11 cacodemons
    5 hell knights
    21 barons of hell
    14 arachnotrons
    14 former commandos
    9 pain elementals
    9 revenants
    6 mancubi
    10 arch-viles
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

On level 1 he found the Nyarlaptotep's Boots!
  On level 1 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  He fled the Unholy Cathedral seeing no chance to win.
  Level 2 blasted him with an unholy atmosphere!
  On level 3 he entered the Vaults.
  He came, he saw, but he left.
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 8 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You see : a Spider Mastermind (almost dead) | pool of blood | [ m ]ore
 You reload the assault shotgun.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : green wall
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : floor
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : out of vision
 You stop running.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a Spider Mastermind (almost dead) | pool of blood | [ m ]ore
 The Spider Mastermind dies. Congratulations! You defeated the Spider
 Mastermind! Press <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

1293 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 1184 of those were killed.
 5 of those were killed by something unknown.
 17 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 57 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

30 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 4 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 21 killed the bitch and survived.
 5 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:58 by CaptainSublime »

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: [N!] [AoSh+AoOC] First Ever Angelic Badge!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:09 »

No apologies needed at all!  Diamond and Angelic badge mortems are always worth posting.  Congrats!  :D  (Besides, it's nice to liven up the forums a bit)  :)

Yeah, between the boots and the tech mod on the shotgun, it looks like you mitigated the Army of the Dead's biggest drawback, lack of speed.  Good move.  :)

And I'm impressed that you recreated my technique against the Mastermind.  At the time, I was kind of flailing around in hopelessness when I hit on that strategy.  It's nice to know that it's reproducible.

As for the nukage switch, somewhere, I have a mortem where I did something similar in an AoOC game where level 1 had an armed nuke and my starting room had an invulnerability sphere, so I waited out the nuke, grabbed the invulnerability at the last second, and immediately went up multiple levels.  I'll link it later when I'm in front of my computer.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 22:29 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 18:12 »

Don't worry about spam - keep the mortems coming. Congratulations on your first Angelic win - you'll find that many of the higher difficulty challenges are rather dependent on key item finds like those boots, so when you get something nice like that, be sure to play extra carefully... as you no doubt did here.

Looking forward to the next one ;)
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:23 »

No apologies needed at all!  Diamond and Angelic badge mortems are always worth posting.  Congrats!  :D  (Besides, it's nice to liven up the forums a bit)  :)

Yeah, between the boots and the tech mod on the shotgun, it looks like you mitigated the Army of the Dead's biggest drawback, lack of speed.  Good move.  :)

And I'm impressed that you recreated my technique against the Mastermind.  At the time, I was kind of flailing around in hopelessness when I hit on that strategy.  It's nice to know that it's reproducible.

As for the nukage switch, somewhere, I have a mortem where I did something similar in an AoOC game where level 1 had an armed nuke and my starting room had an invulnerability sphere, so I waited out the nuke, grabbed the invulnerability at the last second, and immediately went up multiple levels.  I'll link it later when I'm in front of my computer.

Thanks Torm. :)  Yeah I hadn't consciously thought to myself "An Army of the Dead build needs to move quicker and fire quicker," I was thinking more on a global scale, as in "Moving and shooting faster is a good thing." But you are right though. Army of the dead is awesome but you are slow. I have been playing standard nightmare games as an army of the dead marine, and I keep getting shredded at the hellgate. You cannot stand and shoot your way out of that trap with all those nightmare creatures, and running away is a very risky proposition. I can bypass this with phase devices, or other speed items, but even the steel boots with AA mods won't save you against a room full of nightmare demons.

And yes your technique against the mastermind did more than streamline the run. I would have failed without it. The mastermind kept sniping me when I shot her, and I had used up 3 large med packs to get her to 'heavily wounded' and I was thinking "dammit I can't fail now," and then I remebered "WWTD?" (What would Torm do? lol) and I remembered that trick. Such a good trick.

Cheers bro. Appreciate your support and grateful that people like you have blazed a trail for noobs like me to follow. :)

Don't worry about spam - keep the mortems coming. Congratulations on your first Angelic win - you'll find that many of the higher difficulty challenges are rather dependent on key item finds like those boots, so when you get something nice like that, be sure to play extra carefully... as you no doubt did here.

Looking forward to the next one ;)

Dude you are so right about finding a good item and being extra careful. As you say those items will make or break a run. THis game does need skill, but some luck too. Only a couple of attempts prior to this one, I found a Super Shotgun on level 1 of Hell, and boy did that make an Army of the Dead build really powerfulk. But sadly I died just after getting The Army of the dead powerup. Stupid death, and that should have been the run that got me the badge.

But you know how it goes. A manc caught me in an open area. And that was that.

Impressed with your Longinus Diamond badge win on youtube. Working out the pattern of when the Angel of Death can hit you or not. Very impressive to watch.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 10:26 »

For what it's worth, that technique isn't mine - as with most of my achievements, I saw someone else post a mortem for a badge I assumed was beyond me, studied their technique, and applied it in my own games until I met with success. Working out the exact timing took some effort on my part, and getting a game to the point where I had a chance to apply it did as well, but I certainly can't claim credit for developing that technique.

The one technique I do have some claim to is the one that's become known by my name (Sereg'ing), which is essentially completing otherwise difficult challenges by combining them with Angel of Overconfidence and grinding out runs starting from Hell rather then playing through Phobos and Deimos first. I'm certainly not the first to come up with it, but I'm probably the most prolific, and I believe I've earned more badges from using it then anyone else, other then maybe Icy(that thread, by the way, is a great read for learning techniques for difficult badges, if you're not already familiar with it).

Of course, real legends - like Tormuse up there - have earned those same badges, as well as many more that I haven't been able to accomplish at all, in the spirit of the challenge, not just the letter.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 10:30 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 23:10 »

So that's what sereging is!! Thank you for the clarification.

Also allow me to say that I think being able to do something, even if you didn't invent it, is still a skill. If I could sprint 100 metres in 10 seconds, it would still be a thing, even if you copied Usain Bolt.

THanks for the link to IcyTux' thread. Some really good runs and info in there.

One question. On this run, Icy manages to access JC without having a nuke or a trigun at the spider mastermind. How did he do that? I didn't think that was possible without nuking the Spider Mastermind.
Cheers and thanks for the help! :)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 00:00 »

A successful conqueror run is designed to allow you to attempt a full win. Mortuary/Limbo will 100% spawn a nuclear BFG, which can be overloaded(alt fire or alt reload, I believe - conqueror is one challenge I've mostly steered clear of, so my memory of this mechanic is hazy) to nuke the level. Erebus/Lava Pits both spawn the Lava Elemental, who drops the (Lava Orb, I think it's called? Maybe Lava Element? - again, not a challenge I pursue, as I dislike and tend to avoid the special levels), which can be used for a very short invulnerability.

The combination of these two items allows any Conqueror to access JC with 100% reliability.

It's worth noting that these aren't the only two special levels that help to remove elements of randomness which might seem to be required for a particular run...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 00:04 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:17 »

OOoooooh, Sereg. Of course. That is how it is done. I knew about overloading. But it never occured to me to use it to access JC. The 8 times I have defeated JC since I reinstalled 2 months ago. (And had never even known he existed in the 8 years of playing prior to that,) were because i found a nuke and had the lava element.

Thanks so much for making the connection.

Everything I know about this game I have worked out, but since I started on these forums in the last few months, I am kind of addicted to learning about this game and finding all its dirty little secrets.

Thanks so much Sereg and Torm for the support.

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 08:23 »

great run, congrats on the angelic! shoot for veteran next, that one is a lot of fun especially when it gets going
[26/26/24/20/7/2]
Pages: [1]