Other Roguelikes > AliensRL

Game length

(1/2) > >>

sssimon:
Hi!

I have a question regarding the length of the game. How much time would you say is needed to finish the game? How much time do you spend on each level? Is it necessary to explore every nook and cranny? I wouldn't be asking if there were saves available ;-)

Thanks Kornel for making great games :-)

Anticheese:
It's certainly not necessary to clear out the level, there is not even enough ammo to clear all the maps! A good idea would be to grab some ammo, medkits and grenades, then run to the elevator and make your way to the Queen.

zaimoni:
It took me about three hours to record the replay of the winner I posted a while back.  That would be for a turncount of ~120,000, temporarily clearing Military 1-5 and then simply looking for staircases on Main 6-8.  [As documented elsewhere, they won't stay cleared: noise attracts aliens.]  There are probably easier ways to win.

It is not necessary to (temporarily) clear most of the levels.  It is incredibly useful to remember (or record) the fastest mapped path back to the Civilian Tower Level 1...if you aren't tracking that, you're inviting Yet Another Stupid Death.

sssimon:
Hmm... 3 hours. Quite a lot ;-) I like to play in half hour sprees, which means I would have to find 6 of them throughout the day ;-)  Is the lack of savegames intentional?

Is there something special about the Military Tower? More ammo and guns?

zaimoni:
The lack of savegames was a time-limited implementation decision (as a 7-day roguelike, the savegame feature got axed when time started to run out).

The military tower (have not tested Security Tower) is one of the few ascent routes that will reliably hand you both a gyrostabilizer and a smart gun in reasonable proximity.  (The Main Tower certainly won't.)  Its main disadvantage is that it has absolutely no .44 colt ammo; it should not be used if you plan to use the .44 colt rather than the M4P3.

A secondary disadvantage is that it is possible to run out of krak grenades as emergency elite killers before finding a pulse rifle (the pulse rifle is not practically guaranteed on Military 2).  The MP5 can kill an elite, but you'll use up 6-8 med-packs in the process (assuming Unskilled Medical, although I think Basic Medical would be qualitatively similar), and it is a very inefficient use of 9mm ammo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version