Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 20:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [U|AoMr|95%|10] (ran out of bullets!)  (Read 2227 times)

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
[U|AoMr|95%|10] (ran out of bullets!)
« on: April 17, 2007, 19:28 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.8.5) roguelike post-mortem character dump
--------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, level 7 Demon Sergeant, killed by a arachnotron
 on level 10 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 61733 turns and scored 40516 points.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 214 out of 226 hellspawn. (95%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Marksmanship!

He stormed the Chained Court.
 He fought on Hell's Arena.
 He became a champion of Hell's Arena!

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -1/50   Experience 17066/7
  ToHit +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Finesse        (Level 2)
    Hellrunner     (Level 1)
    Son of a gun   (Level 3)
    Dualgunner     (Level 1)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   green armor [1/1] (83%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   advanced pistol (2d5) [5/6]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   protective boots [4/4] (86%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   pistol (2d4) [5/6]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] green armor [1/1] (70%)
    [b] green armor [1/1] (59%)
    [c] green armor [1/1] (65%)
    [d] green armor [0/1] (16%)
    [e] blue armor [1/2] (47%)
    [f] blue armor [2/2] (50%)
    [g] blue armor [1/2] (47%)
    [h] red armor [2/4] (30%)
    [i] 10mm ammo (x31)
    [j] shotgun shell (x50)
    [k] rocket (x4)
    [l] power cell (x50)
    [m] power cell (x6)
    [n] phase device
    [o] phase device
    [p] protective boots [4/4] (100%)
    [q] protective boots [4/4] (100%)

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

23 former humans
    47 former sergeants
    16 former captains
    15 imps
    27 demons
    13 lost souls
    17 cacodemons
    7 barons of hell
    12 hell knights
    6 arachnotrons
    5 former commandos
    6 pain elementals
    2 arch-viles

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
 On level 2 he battled through the complex.
 Afterwards he fought on Hell's Arena.
 On level 3 he battled through the complex.
 On level 4 he battled through the complex.
 On level 5 he battled through the complex.
 He then stormed the Chained Court.
 On level 6 he battled through the complex.
 On level 7 he found a hellish city.
 On level 8 he found hellish caves.
 On level 9 he battled through the complex.
 On level 10 he battled through the complex.
 There he finally was killed by a arachnotron.

Thought I would give AoMr with 100% kills another go, but ran out of ammo on level 9, which made level 10 an inevitable deathtrap (hence the reason I picked Hellrunner as my final trait, so that I could make a break for some ammo/stairs). I suppose bad luck with Human Captains and ammo spawning, combined with not realising how fast my ammo would deplete (I mistakenly thought that several stacks of 100 bullets plus Adv. Pistol and SoaG level 3 would go really far!).

So as to not push my luck with ammo next time, I could try getting some Eagle Eye and Cat Eye instead of Finesse and Dual Gunner, but I really wanted a UV win without using any CE or Int at all. (or I could take more bullets and less small medkits, but I usually find health a sparse commodity as well).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 19:42 by Firstblood »

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [U|AoMr|95%|10] (ran out of bullets!)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 00:48 »

Actually, I think you'd be better serviced by not having so much armor; I usually only carry around 4-5 suits of it in my games, and while green armor is better than nothing it's not worth as much as, say, an extra large medkit (or another stack of 100 bullets whilst dealing with a cave level with no former humans/captains).  If you can make good use of cover, you won't need a lot of medkits either, though that's very map-dependent.  If you really feel you need to have armor at all costs, though, perhaps you should consider TaN, or Hellrunner once you max SoG and Fin.  DG, however, is very worth your while, and shouldn't be skipped as it really adds to your damage potential.

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:30 »

I agree about bullets and large medkits, the problem is I always find more armor than I need, compared to medkits and ammo, and as I had free inventory slots, I picked em up - and as you can see by the state of them, all of them saw some use so saved a hp here and there :P (worth a few small medkits in total). As opposed to finding 2 large medkits, both of which got used when I ended up in some unfortunate situations.

I usually only take 3 armors at most (2 in bp, 1 worn). I started off by taking the 2 blues from Arena, and a red armor I got lucky to find. I also found a couple of small medkits, and thought I would be ok for ammo as long as I found Captains, so took them instead of 100 bullet stacks.

My bp was full with 3 blues, many small medkits and 1 large and then half a dozen bullet stacks by the time I reached CC, but probably after that point I saw ammo depletion (don't think I met any or hardly any Human Captains after CC).

I ran out of health once, then ran out of ammo, so the only thing I could think of to do better that game, is either waste less ammo or get at least one level of EE instead of DG/Fin. Its hard choice because I did find those upgrades extremely useful on top of my 3 levels of SoaG. I was fighting 2 AVs at one point, managed to kill one out of sight, and the other one stopped raising a Demon+Imp(which I didn't waste much ammo on) and closed to melee. I had no health packs and was already at 60% health when I started fighting them so almost died there, but I took a gamble and managed to lose the AV (wasn't sure if its possible given their moverate) around a corner, and made it to a Berserk Pack Id left for earlier, came back and the 2nd AV died very quickly :D, but then my berserk ran out :/

Is there a big sound effect for "relatively safe" in the new version? I would love that, I miss that message so often nowadays - or maybe "SAFE" in green letters could appear on the interface, that would be even better.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:34 »

Sadly, there is no really great indicator for being safe yet.. the notification is colored blue in the new version, but it still doesn't carry over to the second line, and if you miss it the first time there's no indication afterwards other than searching the rest of the level.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:12 »

Sadly, there is no really great indicator for being safe yet.. the notification is colored blue in the new version, but it still doesn't carry over to the second line, and if you miss it the first time there's no indication afterwards other than searching the rest of the level.

The beta also has:

// Messages held in the message buffer.
MessageBuffer    = 200;

Messages     = "P";

:p
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."
Pages: [1]