Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Working on a roguelike...  (Read 57212 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a roguelike...
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 15:49 »

Languages are for reading and understanding the contents of the grimoires. Grimoires will allow spellcasting, grant inherent bonuses, and will also be vehicles for game lore, but they are currently at a very early stage of development. Eventually, though, the more you know about a given language, the more use you can expect to make of a grimoire written in that language.

Note that your knowledge of languages is actually preserved in the char.sav file, not the game.sav file, so it will persist between games.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 23:17 »

20 FEB 2019 - Alpha 0.9.7:

Grimoires once again display their conditional information even when not equipped. New rarity tier added - no items exist at this rarity yet. Torches now display a metric of their light on the equipment screen. Rebuilt engine with a new principle of operation - this should correct any lingering lighting oddities from previous versions.

Basically, some minor QOL updates and bugfixes. I did a bit more groundwork for spellcasting, but nothing visible yet - the majority of this update was the engine overhaul. As noted, this should correct a few bugs, and it will also run slightly faster. As always, it's possible that new bugs have been introduced, so please let me know if anything seems off.

Edit:

21 FEB 2019 - Alpha 0.9.8:
   Fixed a bug where actors could sometimes spawn onto the same tile. Mechanics for spell-casting have been completely implemented, and the starting Grimoire now contains three functional spells.

Edit:

21 FEB 2019 - Alpha 0.9.9:
   Corrected an issue with interruption that was causing odd behavior. Filtered access to spells and lore within Grimoires by knowledge of the language. Added lore for the starting Grimoire. Grimoire lore can now be displayed by 's'tudying a book after reading it. Lore in languages you don't know completely is scrambled, but the more you learn, the easier it becomes to read.

Edit:

22 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.0:
   Fixed some bad behavior in the actor tracking system. Disabled View Character from main menu. Actors now have types which might have certain effects. New spell 'Panacea' added to starting Grimoire. Spells now display a list of reagents required to cast.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:16 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2019, 03:16 »

Finally got to try it out in it's newer version.
My experience:
1)starting oil in oil lamp without having to study any books lasted me for 6 levels with full exploration! talk about efficient fuel:D
2)Randomness of loot left me with alll the similar armor in the world and first weapon had to be fought for with swordsman. a rat later on suddenly dropped me a khopesh - wonder how it fit in the rat:3 and since it happened more than once ....
3)first time met viridian aura - it missed me, and died in two pokes. undead are hardier to khopesh it seems:D
4)got something hit you when i discovered a mummy swordsman next to the doorway.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: it is fun that you have to use reagents for spells. not as fun not finding any in the wild :D tho I have now idea how you intended to replenish it, but the cost of the spell that should allow you so is so steep you either not casting till you find it, or do not rely on it anyway.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:23 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]
Wanna complete any N! game with 90% or more kills...

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2019, 08:27 »

1) Yep, your fuel should last you for quite a lot of regular gameplay - as you note, however, the catch is that you also need light for things like opening doors and reading books, and these are much more time-consuming activities.

2) Several monsters have specific item sets that they themselves use(which is why when you kill one of the undead types, you'll often find that their equipment has been damaged to some extent). Additionally, every monster has a certain random chance to drop an item or items. This chance scales with the monster, so it's quite rare to find an item, especially one of Uncommon or higher rarity, from something like a rat, but it is allowed to happen. Not entirely realistic, of course, but I wanted to offer a method of loot generation other than the vault rooms, in case a player happens to be unlucky with those in a particular run.

3) Yes, the khopesh does quite alot of damage - the balance, if it can be called such, of the game in its current state relies on the fact that the player can generally kill monsters very quickly, even the dangerous ones like the Viridian Aura you found(if you had let it hit you, you'd have been very unhappy, lol). So with good positioning and patience, you can avoid damage - with bad, you'll end up taking quite alot. The counter to this is the Sanity mechanic, which cannot be avoided at all (although Tormuse suggested an interesting method of intentionally blind-fighting sanity drainers... in theory this will work, but it's not without its own risks...)

4) Yes, apparently I haven't worked all the bugs out of my lighting engine. I believe I'll have to overhaul it compeltely - currently it runs in the background constantly, so there are times when the light map has been cleared out at the exact wrong time, and a check will show a tile is unlit because of this. I'll need to make it work in such a way that it only updates the maps it uses when something changes, and then simulate things like flickering lights and sanity effects separately, because currently they rely on the continuous operation of the lighting system. This will be quite a large project, and will no doubt break lots of things, so I'm hesitant to begin it until I can block out enough time to deal with it *and* the inevitable bugs which will result all in a single go.

I'm glad you like the reagent system. As far as finding more, that will definitely be the case for the reagents you'll need to cast spells from the dungeon books, but the starting book, like all other starting items is unique to the player at the start of the game and cannot be replaced in dungeon - and so is the primary reagent it uses. As such, you'll need to make careful decisions about how to use your starting supply. Of course, as one of the spells suggests, there may be a way to acquire more... but you'll have to discover the conditions under which that spell functions, and save enough of your mercury to be able to cast it when the conditions are met.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 12:12 »

Sorry I haven't been following this thread in the last week, but I did play another game the other day.  (Version 0.9.6)  I died due to a combination of stinginess and impatience.  (I was trying to save my starting healing source, since it's lighter than the ones you find, and I was charging into battle, rather than waiting for enemies to come to me)

Spoiler: Autopsy (click to show/hide)

This is the first version I've played that had books!  :D  I didn't figure out what they do, but books are cool, I guess.  :)

A few notes:

"an text of alchemical wisdom"  (should be "a" instead of "an")

Text for items like the khopesh and sacred oil is really hard to read, dark grey against a black background.  I don't remember it being this hard to read in previous versions.  (Applies to all "mundane" items)

There's still no message when the lamp goes out.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 12:42 »

No worries, thanks for checking it out again.

In a096, I don't think grimoires had much functionality beyond some stat modifications - in the current release, the starting grimoire now enables spell casting(I haven't implemented reagents or spells for the other books yet).

I've fixed the typo and brightened up the color of Mundane rarity items in the current development version, so these changes will make it into the a101 release.

I actually had a lamp go out on me during a repeated action, so I've now finally experienced this myself - but I still don't know what could be causing it. When I have a chance, I'll thoroughly examine the checks it makes and see if I can find out which one is failing and why.

Edit: Good news - the light engine overhaul was much simpler than I expected - this will increase efficiency on slower computers at the very least, and I expect it will also address the remaining lighting oddities. I think I may also have found the reason that lamps weren't reporting running out of fuel. Both of these fixes will be live for the next release.

Edit:

24 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.1:
   The engine now only updates the data it uses to draw the player view when necessary. Adjusted the logic and ordering of the lamp burning code to address the occasional failure to report running out of fuel. Silver Bullet now functions as a projectile. Spell animations will appear on the screen to illustrate the effect and trajectory of the spell. Magic damage now routes through a standard pattern like melee. Added a new Legendary armor type which enhances magical abilities.

Edit:

24 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.2:
   Added a large selection of reagents for future spells. Urns are now guaranteed to give at least one item and may give more. Added new rare super-urn capable of giving large quantities of rare reagents. Vaults are slightly more common. Corrected a bug where reagents were not being consumed correctly. Corrected a bug where the screen was not being properly drawn on the player's turn. Fixed a bug where attempting to open a broken door gave the wrong message.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 21:41 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2019, 01:38 »

Hey Sereg,
I got around to try your game at version A102. On a best run so far, I managed to get to floor 11, but shortly afterwards, after killing a few monsters there, the game froze entirely (I think that killing a tomb serpent was the very last action prior to the freeze).
Closing the game window generated the char.sav and game.sav files, attached. Launching the game again allowed me to continue the game with no ill effects.

Otherwise, good job. The game breathes Lovecraftian atmosphere, so I will definitely give a few more shots.

Edit: I just happened to "start seeing red", and I must say that the red overlay is quite heavy on the eyes. I would suggest a darker shade. Also, after the effects ended, only the area of my light radius was drawn normally, the rest of the level was still drawn red. Upon my next action, the rest of the level was also drawn normally.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 01:41 by ZicherCZ »
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2019, 04:15 »

Second the red filter - it was straining my eyes as well.
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2019, 06:32 »

Hey Sereg,

in addition to my bug posted earlier today, another error was generated when I was trying to unlock a single-locked door on floor 1. The error log file suggests a division by zero. The game allowed me to continue playing afterwards.

Screenshot and error log are attached.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2019, 08:19 »

Hey ZicherCZ, thanks for giving the game a try.

I ran the game from the files you sent, but as you pointed out, the game resumes without trouble when loading from them, so I am not sure what caused the hang in the first place... I'll keep an eye out for it, but I'm not entirely sure where to start. Was the kill immediately prior to the crash? Was it with melee or magic?

Edit: It looks like you had actually started to hallucinate just before the crash - I wonder if that's the culprit... hallucination was built on the original lighting engine, so it's possible there are points of failure that came about during the transition. I'll inspect that when I get a chance - meanwhile, please keep me posted if anything similar happens again.

I'm glad you like the atmosphere - Lovecraft is very definitely an inspiration for this game, so it's good to hear that I've captured that inspiration well enough to convey it to the user that strongly. I've also drawn from derivative works like Deathstate and Eternal Darkness, and of course DRL is a big inspiration for many of the gameplay concepts, but Lovecraft's cosmic horror is the basis of the setting and what exists of the lore so far. Unfortunately, my own writing is nowhere near the level of his, but I hope it doesn't come off too badly.

I've updated that sanity effect to use a much darker shade of red, and it now also only affects the player's memory and sight, rather than the entirety of the undrawn viewspace. While it is meant to be an impediment to natural gameplay, it's not meant to physically harm the player - just his character =P I definitely appreciate feedback on stuff like this, so thanks to you and to mihey for reinforcing it.

Thanks for sending the screenshot and error log on the other bug. I have to say, that division by zero occurs at a very unusual place in the code - the line it references directly follows another line which checks that the divisor is non-zero, so I can only speculate that there might be some sort of obscure race condition I'm unaware of in how the JVM handles the code. In any case, I've rewritten that section of code to treat the error differently, which I believe will solve the problem.

These fixes will be present in the next release - unfortunately I'm not able to send that up just yet, but once I have a bit of free time this evening I should be able to get that uploaded.

Thanks again for checking it out - I hope you'll continue to enjoy it.

Edit:

25 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.3:
   Fixed a divide by zero error in the lighting engine. Adjusted bloodsight hallucination to a much darker shade of red, which only affects player vision and memory. All sanity effects are now triggered and progressed by player movement, and will now persist even when saving and exiting.

Edit:

25 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.4:
   Weapons can now do extra damage to certain types of enemies. Three new weapons and one new armor added. Wrote Lore for Black Moon Grimoire. Added the first batch of spells to Black Moon Grimoire. Fixed a bug in the lighting engine which sometimes hid items on the ground unnecessarily. Expanded Reagent description in casting menu.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 19:48 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 00:57 »

Ah well, yet another freeze, and this time completely out of the blue. I just downloaded version a104 and was happily walking in a corridor, when the game froze. And again, char.sav and game.sav were generated (and attached here) and the game allowed me to continue after relaunch.

One more little piece of feedback: Potions lying on the floor are now displayed as a dot, which makes them easy to miss among all those broken chests, urns and doors, even with the potion displayed in the upper-right Detail window. In a number of traditional roguelikes, potions are instead displayed as an exclamation mark (!), so I'd suggest changing the symbol to that. Unless, of course, the symbol is deliberate and justified by potions being small and easy to miss :) .

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2019, 08:25 »

That's unfortunate - I have experienced a freeze on rare occasions, but never often enough to pinpoint what might be causing it... I'll examine the program flow and see if I can track it down. Certainly don't want those in the game =\

Currently flasks display as a comma, while reagent containers display as a period. Flasks are closer to what you'd call a potion, but I think I'll go ahead and adjust the reagent containers to an exclamation point, since the comma is already a bit more distinct from the surrounding environment, and reagents being exclamation points complements grimoires being question marks a bit better. This should leave both in a recognizable state and make more sense thematically.

Again, thanks for the feedback - if your freezes do keep occurring, and you notice any kind of pattern to it, please let me know. Such a pattern would be of immense help in finding out what's going wrong =\

Edit: I've checked the savefile, and the only similarity I see between it and the previous one is that the last message before the freeze is about movement blocked by terrain. I can't seem to get the issue to repeat from that state. However, I do appreciate you sending it... please keep them coming if, god forbid, this keeps happening =P hopefully with enough information I'll figure this one out.

Edit: Did you attempt to study a book at all? I found one oddity in the code the might have been the culprit in such a case...

Edit:

26 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.5:
   Implemented the rooting mechanic - affected monsters or players will be unable to move, but all other actions will function properly. All melee attacks and all attempts to move will attempt to break the root. Depending on the initial power, this may be a very brief hold or an almost permanent one. Implemented the fourth spell in Black Moon. Added fifth spell which is not yet implemented. Fixed a bug where spells having multiple reagent types would fail to properly consume their reagents. Added some guards on certain blocks of code to reduce freezes - they still occur, but this should minimize the number of occurrences.

Freezes are still occurring, but I've noticed something odd - player input apparently continues to affect the game state. This most likely means that, for some reason, the code that refreshes the screen is failing to function correctly. While this is unexpected, it gives me a new approach to solving the problem... hopefully by the 1.0.6 release, freezing will be a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 19:35 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2019, 02:04 »

I've checked the savefile, and the only similarity I see between it and the previous one is that the last message before the freeze is about movement blocked by terrain. I can't seem to get the issue to repeat from that state. However, I do appreciate you sending it... please keep them coming if, god forbid, this keeps happening =P hopefully with enough information I'll figure this one out.

Edit: Did you attempt to study a book at all? I found one oddity in the code the might have been the culprit in such a case...

Hello Sereg,
the last message was indeed the "Movement blocked by terrain", but I'm quite certain that my last action was walking along the corridor, into free space. I'm not certain whether I did study the book in that run.

Edit: More feedback incoming :).

So I got a105, found the dark grimoire and cast the moonglobe. As a light source with no need for fuel, it is quite useful, especially for actions with long durations (unlocking a "very complex lock" took almost 2000 turns). However, when I looted a chest, the ancient falchion could not fit my backpack and ended on the floor. When I moved away, the falchion was not displayed at all - it was still lying there, but invisible from even a single tile away. I tried dropping a few different items, and they were also invisible. It looks as if the items were "displayed" with a black character on a black background. Is this intentional?

Also, the fighting log while using the moonglobe shows a minor inconsistency. The monsters are only displayed with their eyes ("), and the player knows what he hit or missed ("The tomb serpent misses you" and "You hit the tomb serpent"), when the creature dies, it is only referenced as a "source of [color] eyes", as in "The source of green eyes convulses in the throes of death". It's looks even worse with the "swarm of tiny scarabs" - these are not displayed at all, effectively invisible, you know that you hit the swarm, but the death message goes "The source of <no visible monster> convulses in the throes of death".

The third thing I noticed is that under moonglobe, a mummified swordsman is only seen as "a faint eldritch glow". Seeing one did not seem to affect my sanity, making the moonglobe even more useful.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:11 by ZicherCZ »

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2019, 08:33 »

So I got a105, found the dark grimoire and cast the moonglobe. As a light source with no need for fuel, it is quite useful, especially for actions with long durations (unlocking a "very complex lock" took almost 2000 turns). However, when I looted a chest, the ancient falchion could not fit my backpack and ended on the floor. When I moved away, the falchion was not displayed at all - it was still lying there, but invisible from even a single tile away. I tried dropping a few different items, and they were also invisible. It looks as if the items were "displayed" with a black character on a black background. Is this intentional?

Yes. Under lower light conditions, items on the floor are not visible until you are actually on top of them.

Also, the fighting log while using the moonglobe shows a minor inconsistency. The monsters are only displayed with their eyes ("), and the player knows what he hit or missed ("The tomb serpent misses you" and "You hit the tomb serpent"), when the creature dies, it is only referenced as a "source of [color] eyes", as in "The source of green eyes convulses in the throes of death". It's looks even worse with the "swarm of tiny scarabs" - these are not displayed at all, effectively invisible, you know that you hit the swarm, but the death message goes "The source of <no visible monster> convulses in the throes of death".
I'll take a look at the relevant areas and address the inconsistencies... not sure which way I'll go yet, but probably if you are in melee range I'll treat it as high light conditions.

The third thing I noticed is that under moonglobe, a mummified swordsman is only seen as "a faint eldritch glow". Seeing one did not seem to affect my sanity, making the moonglobe even more useful.
Good catch. This is, of course, a consequence of the previously noted inconsistencies, and should be fixed with the next release as well, but for now you're right, there is an added utility to it.

I've got some updates ready to go, but I'm still correcting a couple of issues that arose, and I'm hoping the freezing condition will occur for me again and I can do something more decisive to deal with it... I'll add these in  and hopefully have a new version out tonight. If I can't find the source of the freeze, I'll at least be generating some better error logs about the condition of the game when they occur.

Thanks again for your feedback, please keep it coming.

Edit:

26 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.6:
   Implemented the final spell in Black Moon Grimoire. Added error logging in the case of forced window closing to help identify the source of freezes. Manipulating equipment other armor can no longer be interrupted.

27 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.7:
   Fixed a bug where consumption of spell reagents was working improperly. Fixed a bug where bypassing interruption on equip and remove actions caused other item based interruptible actions to break. Standardized message patterns based on available lighting. Fixed a bug where killing the Lemurian Necrocrat with magic didn't properly end the game. Error logging for freezes is even more comprehensive. Inventory capacity and item bulk have been scaled to gave greater capacity for reagents while keeping remaining items equivalent to their current space costs.

Edit:

28 FEB 2019 - Alpha 1.0.8:
   Freezing may occasionally still occur, but it will now self-correct and unfreeze rather than forcing a manual exit. Corrected a bug where an error log might be unnecessarily generated by a check after player death. Added two new fuel producing spells to the starting Grimoire. Increased the power of the alchemical medicine. Wrote lore for and added six spells to Cleansing Rituals of the Atlantean Priesthood. Cursor redesigned to show white on player, green on valid target, red when out of range. Fixed a major bug related to attack spell projection. Separated lore splash screens for undead and viridian, which are now based on type not sanity loss. Casting a spell now brings up a much more informative menu. The sanity toll for seeing certain enemies has been slightly increased.

Edit:

2 MAR 19 - Alpha 1.0.9:
   Wrote lore and implemented all spells for Black Testament. Implemented the temporary effect system and updated the interface to display active effects. Reduced the stat modifications of spellbooks. Horrifying books now negatively impact eldritch resistance. Found the true source of the lamp message bug and fixed it.

Edit:

03 MAR 2019 - Alpha 1.1.0:
   Implemented lore and spells for Viridian Testament. Reorganized spellbook rarities for layer one. Added Atlantean scroll at Scarce.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 14:48 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2019, 06:03 »

Finally got to trying out the newest version - was surprised to find containers are now actually locked it seems? at least if you dont seem to damage a container message is anything to go on. was a bit surprised by text log structure too - with x111 and so numbers being detached from what they are supposed to relate to.
Now i see there is small "this weapons seems to be very effective against this opponent" - helpful and nice touch! it sure helps figuring out what works on what!
If last time all i had was fuel and healing items, this time I had almost all ingredients for things i do not know of yet:D
I never knew that having 0% oil in the lamp meant there is still some oil for it to light my way:D
Looking in the rooms with slow phlogiston in your oil lamp makes it very jarring and heavy on the eyes sadly.
edit: it seems that if you accidentally tries to alter the enemy, it still wastes your time and produces "enemy interrupts you!" message as well as letting them score a hit on you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:20 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8