General > Off Topic

Working on a roguelike...

<< < (2/22) > >>

MaiZure:
I found it basically unplayable due to being unreadable on Windows 10

For reference, I had a project going on in the background so you can compare text size and spacing.

Look forward to seeing what this could turn in to though!

EDIT: 1920x1080 on a 14" laptop screen with 150% scaling

Sereg:
Thanks for having a look, MaiZure; I apologize for the issues.

I also use Windows 10 - I suspect the issue is the ratio. Your screenshot appears to be significantly wider than it is tall(the image file, at least, is 1911 x 981), which would certainly affect the automatic sizing algorithm my console program uses. In fact, it appears to be off by so much that the menu bar wasn't allocated any space, and without the menu bar, it isn't possible to change the default sizing or the font.

Unfortunately, my testing pool up to this point has been very limited, so this isn't an issue I've encountered yet (which is even more reason to be grateful to those of you willing to do testing under different conditions than are available to me), so I'll have to do some research and see if I can find a way to adjust the console program to be more compatible with different environments.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention - I am not sure that it will be something I'll be able to resolve quickly, but at least I am now aware of that particularly unfortunate deficiency.

Tormuse:

--- Quote from: Sereg on February 03, 2019, 19:10 ---Thanks for trying it out, Tormuse. Out of curiosity, which version did you download?

--- End quote ---

Version 0.6.2.  Also, MaiZure's screenshot shows pretty accurately how unreadable the font was.  I'll give the new version, 0.6.5 a try and see how it compares.

EDIT:  I played around with the fonts and I think I like Verdana the best.  I think the formatting does contribute to the difficulty in reading though; it would help if the letters are closer together when it comes to text that you're supposed to read, though I understand that that's probably a lot harder to implement.  On a related note, I finally read the big text wall at the start and I have to say...  the images of snakes are "unsettling and disturbing?"  Incorrect!  Snakes are cute!  :D

Sereg:
Alright, so I did some tinkering with the console program in an attempt to avoid the menu bar issue MaiZure encountered. I'm still not sure how to handle that very wide screen ratio, though - that may continue to be a problem, but at least he should now have access to the display adjustment options, which will hopefully make things more tolerable. It's also possible that I've broken something entirely new and unexpected, but it seems to work on my system, at least =P

On the legibility front, I've also attempted to improve contrast for better readability, and I've added two new display themes which might prove easier on certain eyes, so let me know how that works for you.

You are right that the formatting is a much more difficult issue to address - if that's consistently a significant problem, I'll have a lot of work to do to correct it, because the entire console environment is based on tiles of fixed size. I may have to create an entirely new tool for supporting that sort of text output.

And Tormuse, you're not doing a very good job of roleplaying, here - your character finds the snake motif to be unsettling, so it's your responsibility to assume that perspective ;)

Tormuse:
Can I suggest you put the version number in the file name or at least the folder name?  I don't know what version I'm downloading until I play it!  :P

Also, is there a command for looking at distant objects to identify what they are?  Or for that matter, identifying items that are in your inventory?  I found an "Atlantean Soul cradle," a "flask of Lemurian sacred oil," and a "flask of Atlantean fire water" and I have no idea what they do.  (Though maybe that's the point)  Also, also, the latter two items have their descriptions go off the side of the screen, so I don't know how much they weigh.  (I'm assuming the number in square brackets is the weight?)  Also, also, also, is there some indication somewhere of how much you can carry?

EDIT:  One more question:  is there a rest and/or wait command?

EDIT2:  "You found a ancient chestplate."  (Grammar, should be "an ancient chestplate")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version