Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 00:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Working on a roguelike...  (Read 57122 times)

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a roguelike...
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2019, 08:24 »

Finally got to trying out the newest version - was surprised to find containers are now actually locked it seems? at least if you dont seem to damage a container message is anything to go on.
Everything that can be altered has a difficulty associated with it - empty containers are alterable because they have a small chance to spawn anywhere, so if they appear in a corridor the player needs a way to clear them. The difficulty to destroy an empty container is very low with respect to other alterable terrain, but it is still possible to fail and generate that message.

was a bit surprised by text log structure too - with x111 and so numbers being detached from what they are supposed to relate to.
Numbers are disassociated because they are only produced once an action is finished - I should be able to combine them into one message by reordering the logic, though.

Now i see there is small "this weapons seems to be very effective against this opponent" - helpful and nice touch! it sure helps figuring out what works on what!
Yes, weapons (and spells) will now indicate whether they are effective or not against a particular target. Currently this is not tiered - a weapon that does 5x damage and a weapon that does 1.1x damage will still produce the same message. I'll probably update with a greater range of messages later, but for now there is an indication of whether your attack is working well or not.

If last time all i had was fuel and healing items, this time I had almost all ingredients for things i do not know of yet:D
These are reagents for spell casting. Your starting grimoire doesn't require very many of them, but if you locate some of the other grimoires, you will find a use for them... Every grimoire currently in the game has a set of fully functional spells associated with it, and more are coming ;)

I never knew that having 0% oil in the lamp meant there is still some oil for it to light my way:D
0% means there is still some fuel left, or the fuel container itself would be gone - it's possible to show up this way because I use integer division to get the percentage, which means anything after the decimal point is ignored, so if you have less than 1% remaining, it will show up as 0%. I suppose I could give some precision now that my new display format is less greedy about screen space.

Looking in the rooms with slow phlogiston in your oil lamp makes it very jarring and heavy on the eyes sadly.
Hmm, what about the slow phlogiston is jarring? It's the exact same color as the bright phlogiston, just a much smaller light radius. It's meant to be sort of a trade off - you can make the bright stuff, which is significantly brighter than normal lamp oil but burns twice as quickly, or you can use slow phlogiston to create a much slower burning fuel at the cost of some visibility. I don't know that I can do anything to make it less jarring while still preserving this balance, unless you mean that in a different way then I am understanding.

edit: it seems that if you accidentally tries to alter the enemy, it still wastes your time and produces "enemy interrupts you!" message as well as letting them score a hit on you.
Yes, it looks like a failed alter attempt was going ahead and using the full alter time cost. It now reverts to a pause action, which is also what happens when you walk into a wall, and has a much smaller cooldown to your next action. This, along with the rejoining of counts with messages, will be live in the 1.1.1 release - hopefully sometime tonight.

[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2019, 08:38 »

Well, as i am currently running through it a second time i can answer better - as less potent oil have range of five, when you approach a room, you "suddenly" discover it is bigger than what you see when approaching it which on my monitor was always very sudden. as i played with contrast tho i managed to make it more easy on the eyes.

I am still advocating for spell to gain more mercury to be cheaper:P Or finding mercury or creating it without using it:P I wish to try out full on spellcaster sometime :D

As of current run, i have found out that the clear liquid when used is used in odd percentages, always different.
Unlike other currently percentaged items.
Edit: this time rng was even less nice towards me. Didnt find many good weapons, nor healing items and no luck with books either.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:57 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]
Wanna complete any N! game with 90% or more kills...

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2019, 09:32 »

Hmm... I don't really know that I can do anything about that other than give all lights larger radii... but since I eventually intend to introduce much larger rooms, the problem won't actually go away by doing that. In the current map generation theme, Catacombs, everything is very close together, but future themes will have bigger rooms, corridors, or be entirely open, so lighting will actually just illuminate a circle around the player, as it does now in very large central chambers.

I presently have no plans to introduce anything like a class system - you're one person exploring a massive ancient dungeon complex with very limited supplies, and you have to make do with what you find. It might be possible that in some far distant update I'll have something like DRL's Marine/Technician/Scout option, and maybe the Mage version will have better reagent drop chances or use fewer of them... but like I said, there are currently no plans for this. I actually considered something like that when designing the game(Soldier/Alchemist/Cleric), but went with the current system instead - I didn't want to overcomplicate game balance by accomodating too many different options, preferring to focus on my own priorities - the sanity system, or the grimoire system, or the many lighting options, for example.

As far as balance goes, there's a lot of work to be done - I think once I finish the bulk of the work on Layer 1(the catacombs theme), I'll try to do a balance pass, which may affect your mercury, or the way the RNG doles out items, so definitely keep the feedback coming in that regard, but I probably won't do too much to balance it until I have all of the elements in play that I'll need to balance.

Edit: What do you mean by clear liquid? The sanity restoring items? If so, what percentages are you experiencing? Those only have 2 doses, unless you find the rarer version, so percentages shouldn't be too weird on that item...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:34 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45 »

By that i mean that while healing jars now work on showing you percentages of topmost jars, clear elixir seems to behave on old scheme - which is overall percentage of all the liquid u got:3
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:41 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2019, 11:30 »

Odd, since I hadn't changed any item yet.

What I'll probably do is what I did for reagents - show the total unit quantity available rather than masking with a percentage.

Edit: Fuel still displays as a percentage, since this is slightly more valuable than the raw data, but other items of this type now simply count their remaining doses.

As with the other changes, this will be included in the A1.1.1 update.

Edit:
04 MAR 2019 - Alpha 1.1.1:
   Choosing an invalid target with the alter command now replaces the command with a pause similar to walking into a wall. Message repetition counts are now attached to the messages they correspond to. It should now be possible to close the game window even in the event of a fatal crash. Non-fuel flasks display dosage rather than percentage now. Implemented temporary effects for melee attacks. Added new monster Vitriol Serpent with a poisonous attack. Effectiveness masks on attacks offer a greater variety of information. Wrote lore and implemented all spells for new Harappan tome Arcanium of Dholavira. Fixed a bug where the cursor was no longer allowing targets to be selected. Cursor may no longer be moved outside of the game map. Added new monster Corpse Leech.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 19:57 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2019, 15:41 »

Got to checking out my favorite alpha again:D finally got lucky enough to use mercury font spell! Ye, this amount of mercury will last me awhile;P
Got funny graphic bug. A font on one step shown empty, on another filled.
First time seen embermace and hunting spear!
Overall i feel like humping in closed but not locked door should just open it.
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2019, 19:02 »

Outside of high light, certain terrain features display an alternate image - you can see this with the mural walls, which only display the mural graphic when your light is bright enough to reveal them, and appear as a normal wall otherwise. I applied the same mechanic to fonts, but maybe they would be better off displaying their normal graphic regardless - after all, presumably you can still hear them running.

I can certainly make moving into a door attempt to open it, but this will be more costly if done accidentally - still, though, it's probably worth doing. I'll add it to the set of features slated for the next release. I have some pretty decent work done already, but I'm not quite ready to release yet. Among other things, the rarity has been scaled back a bit, so players will have an improved chance of finding some of the nicer items that exist, like the mace and spear you found. Should still be high enough to make the really rare items, Legendary and up, rare enough that they aren't guaranteed in a given run, but no longer quite so inaccessible.

Also, nice work discovering the conditions for the mercury replication spell. There are some other mechanics, especially among spells you'll find in some of the rarer books, where mechanics are hinted at like this but not directly revealed - I like to believe I offer enough information to solve them, but since I wrote them, I don't have a really good feel for that - so I'm glad this one wasn't too obscure.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, and as always I appreciate the feedback.

Edit: Both of the proposed changes are now live in the development version of the game and will be part of the next release.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 20:06 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2019, 01:22 »

Glad to be of service! Another thing i noticed is that any creature i met so far tries to move in such way as to avoid being illuminated.
Aaand i died when trying to change one weapon for another. I have no clue how long the game thinks this process is, but it was enough for undead swordsman to step to me, and kill me when i was completely healthy.
On another note, this was first run i saw a lectern dungeon feature.wonder if it can be not empty.
By the way, currently useful dungeon features are so rare i seen them exactly twice in all the tries x3
And the first time i got to royal crypt ia the time i die from my sanity level, and i had no elixir to help with it. Is there any way to get sanity damage down beyond them?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:46 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2019, 05:14 »

Currently the AI I use is very rudimentary - its default behavior is to shun light, but if the player illuminates it, it will instead attack. This makes sense for the animal type enemies, but other enemies will eventually have different AI.

I might see about adjusting dungeon feature rarity in addition to item rarity - there is a feature that will help restore sanity, but it also has a different use you've already discovered...

Sanity can also be conserved by keeping your Eldritch resistance high, and if you do find a non-empty lectern, or otherwise come across some of the magical grimoires available in the dungeon, you may find that some have ways of restoring your sanity. Others, of course, may make it even worse...

Changing equipment used to be an interruptable action.  Changing armor still is,  but every other slot can now be swapped without interruption.  However, I never changed the time cost... I believe it's still 5 seconds, which is a lot longer than it takes for a strong enemy to melee you to death.  I'll leave armor at that time, but I think it would be reasonable to speed other gear up a bit.  Of course,  it will still take some time... I don't intend players to change gear in combat, so it will not be a free action,  but it shouldn't be quite that lethal either.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:12 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2019, 09:12 »

The problem i have with current sanity mechanic is that whether u die to it or not is currently solely depends on whether u find anything to protect it with or otherwise. And i died in very dumb way- i did one step to discover three undead in the crypt, then tried to move to see below, and next thing i know i receive a "you have died" screen x3
I d say you can only lose so much sanity seeing same enemy type before it wears out it,s novelty,
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2019, 10:15 »

It actually does work like that, with diminishing losses as the number increases,  but perhaps the threshold is too high... I'll look into that for the next release.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2019, 15:21 »

Second time I died to sanity - when i was trying to open a door while unstable XD
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 08:18 »

Heh, I really ought to get an update rolled out with the update to sanity... it's been a busy week, and I'm trying to move to a release schedule where I emphasize more content per update rather than fast releases, but I should have enough done to push an update tonight or tomorrow, or Friday morning at the latest.

I'm glad you're still playing despite that, and I hope you don't burn out on the current somewhat rough mechanics - the next update should have a better balance overall, as well as some nice new books to play with.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45 »

Ye x3 i want to see new magics at least!:D as i havd not yet have any luck finding spellboooks or scrolls that i could read x3

By the way, on side note, the mercury bullet while effective and fairly cheap, it still requires like dozen casts against mummies, and 5 against aura xe not complaining since it is safer than beating them in the face, but maybe having higher power version would be fun? Also may give some more ingredients some use xe
Edit: finally, on the dryest in terms of items and equipment run i got a grimoire different to my starting one. versatile, but i guess antivenom is yet useless:D
In my humble opinion current generation leaves you with endless supply of all kinds of ingredients, and makes things like light sources a novelty. I had seen barely any healing items in the few rooms that generated, and the first room was level 5 of catacombs.3.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 14:56 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2019, 10:19 »

14 MAR 2019 - Alpha 0.1.1.5:
   Reworked loot system - it should now be somewhat easier to find items of higher rarity. Monsters are also slightly more likely to drop items. Temporary effects now have diminishing returns the more times they are applied. Wrote lore and spells for new Grimoire 'Atlantis Ascendant'. Fixed a bug where the northwest borders of the map were improperly hidden. Active fountains now appear active regardless of lighting. Moving into a closed but not locked door automatically attempts to open it, which now has almost no chance of failing. Monster sight sanity threshhold halved. Center terrain features are now slightly more common, with a better chance of becoming a better feature. Non-armor equip and remove actions replaced with consume and dequip actions, respectively, taking much less time to complete. Fixed a bug with refueling. Fixed a bug with loot generation. Pause now passes appreciably more time, but is still faster than any other action besides Instant spellcasting. Added new weapon stone hammer. Added new grimoire 'Liber Ivonis' with lore and spells.

Edit: missed a couple - I adjusted the rarity on falchions from Uncommon to Scarce. I also added a new spell, Mercurial Missile, to the Lapis Philosophorum, as a less efficient but more potent per shot version of Silver Bullet for alchemists with extra mercury on their hands.

I've also reformatted how I do version numbers - I'll be working toward a 1.0.0.0 completion in larger steps than before... The fourth number will denote minor adjustments, with the third and second denoting larger milestones. I have a rough plan for how to progress these, but nothing set in stone yet, so version stamps will probably still be somewhat inconsistent, but it should be an improvement over the earlier system.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:27 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8