Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Working on a roguelike...  (Read 57134 times)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a roguelike...
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 00:51 »

And just to be incredibly spammy, here's another response.

The <x50billion> repetition thing works, but say I run into a wall 50 times and then start walking and run into another wall, there's no new message because it's the same stored message. You might want to make it so that your counter finishes off if you move into another square?
I feel like using healing ointments might be a similar thing - I see that despite great age, I'm healed. But I can't tell how many times I've used it until I run into a wall or get attacked. The same with a monster attacking you and missing/hitting if you don't hit back.

I just died to a swarm of scarabs after powering through 2 Viridian Auras because I couldn't hit the dang things. Ah well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please also find attached a screenshot of the kerning on my computer, and how ridiculously bad I am at lockpicking/opening an urn, and then being far worse at opening a complex lock.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 16:14 »

Sorry for the delayed response - I've been occupied all day, unfortunately.

I should be able to resolve the message weirdness by only treating messages which are expected to repeat a significant number of times as potential spam - these will always terminate with a different message and work as intended. As you pointed out, ordinary messages can also repeat, and don't immediately update the count when finished, which isn't ideal.

As far as the error messages, I reviewed them and they originate from a point in my code where it's very odd to have a null pointer during runtime... Were they only related to the crash and hang? And are the circumstances that caused the hang repeatable?

I was able to generate a crash on first starting the game, but it appears to be because I neglected to Serialize one of the new classes I created to support spell-casting... which generated a different error than your error logs indicate. I have not been able to reproduce that one - anything you can tell me to help me understand what state the game was in when it crashed like that would be helpful.

I'll push a fix for the crash I found, and an update to the spam filter, shortly.

I have an idea about how to handle the kerning, but it's going to require a pretty big re-write of important parts of the underlying console program. I'll see what I can do on that front, but I can't promise an immediate fix. However, the more feedback I get, the more obvious it is that that's an issue, so I do need to handle it somehow.

Edit:

15 FEB 2019 - Alpha 0.9.0:
   Fixed a crash related to spell-casting preparations. Updated spam filter to only affect certain messages which can be expected to repeat.

Edit:

I've found a solution to the text display problem, and the back end of the console program has been updated to support the new method. However, converting the front end over to make use of it is taking some time. It may be a few days before I have a full conversion available to upload.

Edit: 0.9.0 was inadvertently released in development mode, meaning all sorts of things that you shouldn't be able to do are enabled. I have temporarily reverted to 0.8.9.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 23:18 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 00:34 »

EDIT: Remembered the error incorrectly.

Those error messages are from more than a startup hang. I was given the option to continue a game despite not having saved a game previously. The game loaded in, but was unable to do anything since files were missing. I've since reproduced the error twice and sent some more logs your way.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:02 by Tavana »
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2019, 07:21 »

Thanks for the logs... to be clear, is the state of the save directory such that a game.sav file exists but a char.sav file does not?
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2019, 11:07 »

Ok, that took a lot of work, but it ought to be worth it...

16 FEB 2019 - Alpha 0.9.5:
   Fixed a rare bug where a certain loot container behaved oddly. Implemented console support for vastly greater readability of game text - as a result, compression mode is no longer supported. New message format supports scrolling to review previous messages and saving of message history between play sessions. Possible fix for illegal load game condition.

Legibility should be much better, and I believe I even tracked down the bug you described, Tavana - I was able to replicate your error logs, but only under conditions that should never naturally occur, so I'm not entirely convinced it's the same issue you were having.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 09:30 »

After trying it for first time, i already have messages i cant fully see ( like when using medicine), and i have managed to generate an error when swapping books - not sure what it did.
Edit: correction - messages seem to display the end of the phrase before it starts.
Edit 2: jars of ointment when used display percentage - but do it quite weirdly (100% - 96% 93 % -next jar)
Edit 3: upon entering a level at some point game locked up spewing error logs at me endlessly, not letting me do anything , not even use controls.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:18 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]
Wanna complete any N! game with 90% or more kills...

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 11:31 »

Thanks for giving it a try. The message inversion is a consequence of how I implemented the new text output system for the scrolling message window. I simply failed to test it extensively enough to catch that, so thanks for pointing it out - I'll be able to fix that rather trivially.

Percentages for stackable items actually display the percentage of the entire stack, not the top container. This was a conscious design decision, but it might be clearer if I just showed the percentage of the top container instead... I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for sending the error logs for the other issues - I'll have a look and see if I can pinpoint the problem. Depending on the severity, I may have a fix tonight, but I can't guarantee it since I unfortunately have other business to prioritize today =\
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 11:34 »

Hey, it is fun one:3 especially since assassin garb makes one almost always attacking without repercussions and gives you quite high ability to hit things!

By the way, that is not the only problem i have with the jars and percentage- as i understand it is supposed to show how much use is in the pot correct? however the same percentages were deducted no matter how many jars between 9 and 12 i had. it was always 3.
On other hand, the sanity - i could turn it focus with the soothing potion ,but only once - neither of other used potions put me above stable next time i used them and the interface screw still happened.
Edit: also either game was incredibly generous with oil - or the censer does not really use that much oil outside of study action which often takes almost half my oil out of it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:36 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 14:33 »

I believe the reason the percentages behave that way is because I am casting between ints and floats, so some rounding is involved - I don't attempt to be more precise than a single percentage point with that display. Between 9 and 12, the difference of a single dose in the stack generally rounds to about 3%.

Stable describes a reasonably large range of sanity values, and the elixirs only restore a fairly small amount, so it's certainly possible that drinking a single dose of elixir near the top of the mask will push you over to focused, while drinking several containers of elixir near the bottom of the mask won't change the mask at all.

I do intend to be deliberately vague about the exact numerical values of the stats(which is why I use descriptions, not percentage bars or actual numbers), but it probably wouldn't hurt to make the masking intervals a bit more regular.

Drop rates aren't very balanced yet - there's an entirely new class of item that will fill the same loot niche as healing items and lamp fuel currently do, so expect both of those to become sparser in future releases. Also note that the most common type of loot container currently only generates items of those types, so you'll find more healing items and oil than equippable items  in general.

I do intend to do a balancing pass eventually, but for now, I'm still working to add content, and I have quite a lot still planned, which is guaranteed to throw off any balance I try to establish now, so for the time being balance will be approximate at best =P

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I had a look at the error logs and I believe I can correct them both relatively quickly, so expect a patch release sometime tonight. I'm glad you had fun playing, and I hope you'll continue to check it out once in awhile.

Edit:

18 FEB 2019 - Alpha 0.9.6:
   Handle repetition of invalid commands so as to completely cancel the repetition order. Level title moved to main screen, info retitled with [Detail]. Reworked borders for better consistency and more apparent focus. Reworked stat masks to scale better. Messages now scroll from the top of the window and are printed in proper order.

That should resolve all of the issues you raised, mihey1993. Thanks again for calling my attention to them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 17:11 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 21:54 »

Fun fact - if you start the game with enemy right next to you and attack it on the very first turn, you receive message "You attack blindly in the darkness". Counterattack - even if you see clear on screen who it is - "Something hits you".
Edit: could not test for longer yet, but when i was having fun reading books, losing all my oil in process, my character symbol changed from expected @ to "
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 22:00 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 22:53 »

There are some odd rare lighting issues I haven't completely tracked down... I'll see what I can do on that front.

Low light conditions change the appearance of certain monsters to the point where you can only see retinal reflection or some other chance glimmer of light - the player is one of them. This might occur if your lamp is using a fuel it doesn't burn well enough to illuminate even your own tile properly. That effect is intended.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 22:54 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 23:40 »

Edit: yep, that was the reason. welp XD
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:13 by mihey1993 »
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 10:53 »

Finally died in game.  Most notable changes - the armor being damaged now visibly affected the resistances it gave (lemurian noble armor).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 14:50 »

Armor condition always affected resistances, but the masks were far too broad before. Thanks to your suggestion, I've adjusted those.
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

mihey1993

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 15:08 »

No problem, it worksmuch more understandable now. If i may, I still believe percentage to show rrmaining uses in top of the pile item. Also, what plans there are on ingame languages?
Cyberdemon Br.General
[26/23/18/5/1]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8