Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [IDEA] other graphics modes  (Read 12576 times)

Hamurlik

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[IDEA] other graphics modes
« on: May 02, 2019, 08:06 »

Hello everyone, Beta testers, doomRL lovers, marines. In general, my idea is, How about adding 2 more types of graphics, and we get 3 types of graphics 1) type, 3d graphics, uses as default 2) the type, "tiles" is the same one that was in domRL. 3) type, text console graphics. And now more, 1 question: You only have 1 month to develop a full version of the game for a steam, I do not think that 1 month will be enough to remake all the graphics for the domRL, But on the other view, I will be satisfied even if the majority (70-80 %) sprites will be from domrl, the main thing is that new monsters are new, new guns are new, in general, everything that does not look like stuff from doomRL need to be redrawn (for example, if in jupiter hell will be monster who throw fire projectile, why not use imp sprite?) 2: Text graphics, it's easier here, you can just copy everything graphics from domrl, so how hard is it to call "@" doomguy, isn't it? 3: Will there be mod support for Jupiter Hell? After all, so anyone can make a mod to make the game look like a domrl or something like this, or completely remake it, and make a remake with a more powerful engine in 3d, not very important, just mods will help everyone to guess.

(Note, screenshot with jupiter hell 3D graphics was grabbed from youtube channel Gaming On Linux, link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYA7T6ygM_8&t=270s)

Thanks for reading, I will be glad to have answers.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: [IDEA] other graphics modes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:14 »

This is something I actually thought about, not for the Doom sprites (we don't want anymore problems with Zenimax), but for support for 2d tileset. However, this is a very low priority feature, so won't come anytime soon.

Modding will be possible to the fullest extent. A Doom total conversion seems inevitable.

ASCII mode is actually already supported.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 17:02 »

ASCII mode is actually already supported.
Pretty buggy though, particularly its interaction with menu subsystems.  Also, the order in which things are drawn in ASCII mode are a bit out of whack -- corpses lie on top of items, which lie on top of the player character.  But I figured that fixing that isn't a high priority right now, so I didn't bring it up.

Also ASCII mode has no sound.  =(
I computed, therefore I was.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 05:33 »

Pretty buggy though, particularly its interaction with menu subsystems.  Also, ...
I know, but that's beside the point for this question. ASCII will work on Early Access release - won't be pretty but will be correct.

Also ASCII mode has no sound.  =(
This one is a bigger issue and might not be fixed before early access.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

singalen

• Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 16:51 »

+1 for a 2d mode.
Totally a matter of taste, I think the current DRL UI is more playable.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 15:17 »

This will probably not happen, as even resurrecting the ASCII mode is a lot of work, and later work to synchronize them. Not even starting on the art and FX animation. Moreover, the UI would be the same anyway.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]