Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Call for features : Berserk! 0.9 planning  (Read 6978 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Call for features : Berserk! 0.9 planning
« on: April 21, 2007, 11:10 »

Okay, I have my vision of 0.9, although it's not yet too "clear". For sure there'll be the campaign mode, and for sure there will be graphics. I will also nerf the existing skills based on Fingerzam's strategy guide.

Any suggestions for new skills?

Any other ideas?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Sparrow

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Call for features : Berserk! 0.9 planning
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 13:53 »

As for skills, I can think of a few:
A skill to increase defense (enhanced guard?) or maybe parrying attacks (there's a metal arm at use here~), by blocking say 20% of enemy attacks (at max level).
A skill to regenerate HP slowly can be useful too, in a way that can refill some HP but not take out the challenge (like 1HP every 2 turns, if you have a winning streak and you don't get hit in a while you will notice the effect)
A linear attack (say attacking up to 2 extra positions) can be pretty useful to get out of mobs of weak enemies.
Code: [Select]
#  #  #
  # # #
   ###
 ###@###
   ###
  # # #
 #  #  #

As for other ideas, I'd like to know what you think of this:
Despite the roguelike idea, this game is pretty arcadeish (reminds me of a poor man's version of the PS2 game, heheh~) so random item drops from enemies that recover a bit (like 10 or 20) hit points, extra ammo or a boost to berserk gauge can be a neat idea.
Maybe you can do so in a way that encourages chain kills or combos (you only get the chance of getting a drop after killing a few enemies in a row or with a single attack) and that stuff. While this can not be so good on endless because of the staged theme (with refills and level-up), it can be a hit to play on Massacre with this thing.
An option to balance can be starting without "extra" ammo and stats, and get them only if you are good enough. Maybe you can separate it in a "survival mode" of sorts (being survival the current Massacre, with only the initial extra ammo and stats).

If you want more, I'll be around. I am a designer myself and there's always something to share.
PS: You will be adding graphics? Interesting, interesting. I am a sprite artist as well, so I can do something if you need.

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 16:20 »

You'll be nerfing skills? They don't seem overpowered to me, but maybe I'm missing something. :-/

I agree with Sparrow that the game feels very arcade-styled, which I think is really cool. I'm not sure that adding bonus items is that great of an idea though, as the point of massacre seems to me to be to make whatever you have last as long as possible. Maybe an "arcade" mode?

I must say that I really enjoy berserk and that this game seems to have a lot of potential. I'm definitly looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 16:21 »

Not saying much but how about doing something about the bulldemon knock-back insta retaliate thang.  The whole thing is done in one frame so it would help to have some visual, "BullDemon flashing like she's pissed then BOOM!" type deal.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 17:20 by Zephyre Syx »
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

Fingerzam

• Local Inquisitor
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 11:39 »

Okay, I have my vision of 0.9, although it's not yet too "clear". For sure there'll be the campaign mode, and for sure there will be graphics. I will also nerf the existing skills based on Fingerzam's strategy guide.

Any suggestions for new skills?

Any other ideas?

Well, something should be done to whirlwind atleast. Perhaps make the energy cost dependant on the number of enemies you hit with it?

I can't really say much about impale/jump attack as they don't really fit my playing style, but I think jump attack's energy cost is a bit high.

I'll try to come up with something more useful later.

Jerry Swain

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 08:31 »

An uppercut sword swing? If the monster doesn't die in one hit, maybe it flops back?
Pages: [1]