Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|AoSh+AoOC|90%|YAVP] The scariest horror game ever (Shottyman Angelic)  (Read 5310 times)

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Me, level 7 Arch-Vile Lt. General Scout,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 112421 turns and scored 152104 points.
 He played for 57 minutes and 50 seconds.
 He opposed the Nightmare!

He killed 664 out of 736 hellspawn. (90%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Shotgunnery!
 He was also an Angel of Overconfidence!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 4
  Levels visited   : 0
  Levels completed : 0

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (gold cluster)
  Shottyman Platinum Badge
  Shottyman Diamond Badge
  Shottyman Angelic Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  .........................................................>#
  ..........................................................#
  .&........................................................#
  ................................X.........................#
  .........................................................>#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 0/50   Experience 21902/7
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Finesse          (Level 1)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 2)

Int->Int->Fin->Jug->HR->HR->DM->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   red armor [2/4] (35%) (B)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   assault shotgun (8d3) [5/6] (P1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   plasteel boots [2/2] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   shotgun (8d3) [1/1]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] combat shotgun (7d3) [5/5]
    [b] blue armor [2/2] (100%)
    [c] shotgun shell (x50)
    [d] shotgun shell (x50)
    [e] shotgun shell (x50)
    [f] shotgun shell (x50)
    [g] shotgun shell (x50)
    [h] shotgun shell (x50)
    [i] shotgun shell (x11)
    [j] shotgun shell (x50)
    [k] shotgun shell (x50)
    [l] shotgun shell (x50)
    [m] shotgun shell (x50)
    [n] power mod pack
    [o] power mod pack
    [p] steel boots [1/1] (100%)
    [q] acid-proof boots [0/0] (100%)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Acid       - internal 0%    torso 0%    feet 50% 
    Fire       - internal 0%    torso 12%   feet 25% 

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

4 former humans
    487 former sergeants
    15 former captains
    6 demons
    106 lost souls
    2 cacodemons
    12 barons of hell
    3 arachnotrons
    2 former commandos
    8 pain elementals
    5 revenants
    6 mancubi
    7 arch-viles
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He left level 7 as soon as possible.
  Then at last he found Dis!
  He nuked level 8!
  On level 8 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

Are you sure you want activate the thermonuclear bomb? [Y/n]
 You use a thermonuclear bomb. Warning! Explosion in 10 seconds!
 You reload the assault shotgun. Warning! Explosion in 9 seconds!
 Your assault shotgun is already loaded.
 Warning! Explosion in 8 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 7 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 6 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 5 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 4 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 3 seconds!
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a Spider Mastermind (heavily wounded) | floor | [ m ]ore
 You are hit! Boom! You are hit! Boom! You are hit!
 Warning! Explosion in 2 seconds! You dodge! Boom! You are hit! You are hit!
 You die!... Press <Enter>...
 Congratulations! You defeated the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

3616 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 3361 of those were killed.
 21 of those were killed by something unknown.
 69 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 120 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

45 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 8 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 25 killed the bitch and survived.
 12 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

Well, that was an interesting run. It pretty much started as a semi-stairdive - stopping when I got a chance for some safe kills, for level-ups and killcount. I took an odd trait build, I'll happily admit that - Juggler was my way of getting an emergency shell, in case everything went really, really wrong. The lack of Dodgemaster was a high risk until I got it, but finesse allowed me to empty my assault shotgun into whatever stood in my way with less risk of getting shredded in response, and the "backup shell" came into play a couple of times. Level 3 was one of those levels that resembles Limbo, with a few buildings conneted by bridges and surrounded by lava, with 1-tile walkways around the buildings. That allowed me to clear the level fully by standing in doorways and at corners, cornershooting things until they were on the brink of death and then letting them get close so I could knock them into the lava with the final shot. This became more of a grind than a fight, and soon enough the level was clear of enemies.... except one sergeant who had received my blessing to live. As you can probably tell from my kill stats, I killed that sergeant quite a few times. To add to my good fortune, a different sergeant had dropped me some red armor, and there was a megasphere on the level, so I left in good health and with a 200% red armor on me.

Level 4 and 5 were... uneventful, aside from finding a nuke. One of them was a standard maze of rooms, where I pushed my way to the stairs with sheer brutality (and spread a small group of former across the wall) and the other started me in a large room on the right-hand side of the level, with the stairs. I did peek out and try to get a few kills on that level, but with my killcount as padded as it was, I decided to quickly retreat from the mancubi and arch-viles outside the door.

Level 6 was yet another of the buildings-in-lava levels. Unfortunately, I started in close quarters to an arch-vile, who ended up doing some serious damage to the cover (and me) as I ran. I headed to the right-hand side where the stairs were and grabbed a computer map to see just what the situation was, and found that there were only two buildings in the middle and right - the left was just small islands and bridges in the lava, with some unknown exotic item. I wanted to see what the exotic was, but between my arch-vile surprise and my ill-advised attempts to kill it, the cover on that side of the map was severely damaged, I was running out of medpacks and the centre of the map was dangerously overrun. I checked my killcount, and found that I could still afford to miss quite a number of enemies, so I abandoned the level.

On level 7, I started in a large room with crates. To my left were the stairs, and to my right was an unholy army of arch-viles and barons. There were 2-3 viles in view, RNG only knows how many barons and that's only what I could see. I checked my player info for my kills/total - I had enough for Shottyman Diamond. I activated running mode, I did not pass go and I did not collect any items or fire any weapons in that level.

I decided to fight the Mastermind with the aid of my medpacks, and she was "heavily wounded", but I was fighting a losing battle. I dropped the nuke (by the way, I can't believe I only recently noticed in the source "are you sure you want activate the thermonuclear bomb") and charged the mastermind, who gunned me down almost immediately. The nuke went off, the mastermind exploded, and I sat back and admired my hard-earned
FATAL EXCEPTION

An unhandled exception occurred...

I've played and seen many games in my time, but no horror game in all of history has matched up to the sheer scare factor of earning a combined platinum/diamond/angelic badge, then being jumped by a fatal exception. I loaded up DoomRL and tried to continue my autosaved game - it was corrupted. (When I think about it, why does the game automatically destroy evidence of bugs without asking you?) I checked my badges and saw, much to my relief, that I had all the badges I was owed - and when I looked in the folder, my mortem was intact. However, I got a standard win - I read up on bugs and saw that, indeed, it's because you can't get a partial or full win if you aren't on at least level 24. Upon checking the released source, I think the fatal error was actually caused by the game trying to display the plot text at the end, because I didn't technically qualify for any of it due to not being on level 24+ nor having any True Evil kills.

All in all, it was a run that relied fairly heavily on the kindness of the RNG and on spammy tactics of farming sergeants. But hey - that's Angelic badges in a nutshell, isn't it? It certainly does seem like the easiest Angelic badge out there, but "easiest" is relative. Now, to consider what badge to go for next. Centurial Diamond is tempting, but I might try and relax with some enemies who'll stay dead for a change... (I did get to level 40 one time!)

Special thanks to all those who came before me, blazing a trail that I tend to follow in many of my attempts at the higher levels of badge. Tormuse and Sereg come to mind, even though I don't tend to use Sereging itself, but I do read mortems a lot for tactical advice - and I've had characters called "Tormusical" and "The Tormuse Maneuver" before, who sadly died in their attempts to copy Tormuse's mortems.
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Hey congrats on the Angelic!  Nice one!  :D

Getting Juggler in an AoSh game is a rather curious choice.  Did you get much benefit from it?

That's really interesting about the game crashing as a result of getting partial/full win in AoOC; I've never heard of that happening, but now, I want to test it out.  :)

...and I've had characters called "Tormusical" and "The Tormuse Maneuver" before, who sadly died in their attempts to copy Tormuse's mortems.

"Tormusical" sounds like the kind of game where you periodically break into song.  :D  Also, I'm really curious to know what the "Tormuse Maneuver" would be.  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile

Thanks!

Juggler was, indeed, an odd choice for a Shottyman Angelic run, but it actually did help a few times. Especially with how fast arch-viles are, I swapped to the shotgun for an extra shell a few times when I had no good cover and didn't want to reload the assault shotgun. I don't think I got enough out of it to advise actually doing it, though.

Not sure what exactly crashes AoOC - it might be an odd interaction with the nuke and player death, or it might have been the text screen not having any valid choice (although that's based on the released source, which may have had it fixed). I believe the bug report thread on it was just about full wins counting as standard wins.

I can't remember who "The Tormuse Maneuver" was exactly, but I remember that I'd read some mortem or other of yours that earned a badge, and "The Tormuse Maneuver" was a character who was going to copy the build pretty much exactly and see how it went. (On the one hand, your builds are often good for what you're attempting, but on the other hand, some of the things you attempt can best be summed up by the Arena Master: "You are either very foolish, or very brave. Either way I like it!")

I also once Sereg's Longinus Platinum with the name "Not Sereg".
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Hmm...  I just tried getting a full win in AoOC and no crash.  Maybe it only happens with partial wins?  More experimentation required!  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos
Pages: [1]