Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 23:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dumb Legal Question  (Read 3812 times)

arseface

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Dumb Legal Question
« on: December 25, 2019, 18:56 »

I've been working on a system that converts roguelike games to a workable tabletop RPG ruleset.

I initially tested the system with DoomRL. I'd like to release the rules to play DoomRL within the system, playable standalone for free. Ideally I'd like be able to use the wiki documentation for explanation of most of the mechanics.

The issue is I'm not sure what all copyleft licenses would apply to the work. Since I'm only copying wiki documentation does only that license apply or do I cite both the wiki and the game as sources? How to go about linking them, and what if any would apply to the system I've made removed from the DRL IP?

I also plan on making similar adaptations of other games under the same overarching system. Will the rights of DRL conflict with the possible rights of any of the others if it effects the core system license as well?

I know I'm essentially making a mod/fan game and nobody is going litigate regardless, but I also don't want to plagiarize.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb Legal Question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 06:48 »

The rights issue isn't so much as DRL but the Doom IP on the whole.  That's as much as I can tell without being a lawyer.
I computed, therefore I was.

arseface

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 07:28 »

The rights issue isn't so much as DRL but the Doom IP on the whole.  That's as much as I can tell without being a lawyer.
My understanding is that DRL being allowed to be released under the GPL 2 means that game has been legitimized as long as it stays separate enough from the Doom IP. Which D**mRL appears to be.

I'd respect takedown notices from pretty much anybody with a claim. I just wanna make sure it's cool that I throw it up with the creators of each game I convert first.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 04:30 »

DRL itself is still in the legal grey zone after the whole Zenimax issue. I can just give you my blessing to do whatever you want with the mechanics themselves, but I give you no guarantee that someone wont hunt you down if you do.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

arseface

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 07:04 »

Sweet! Good enough for me.

I'll post a link to the rulebook once I finish formatting all the DRL stuff.
Pages: [1]