Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.8.7|H|AoSh|Ma|11|YAVP] Angel of Shotgunnery for the first time  (Read 1661 times)

Andizee

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

I finally completed the challenge I attempted many times since 0.8.0.
It's AoSh on Hard (and thus Shottyman Gold).

RNG was god -- I got early (somewhere in Callisto) an ADV shotgun with +damage, 50% reload, and Chill effect, which carried me through the game, and this was the very same shotgun I took down the Summoner. I also got in Europa an ADV blue armor with faster reload time property.
And there were plenty of grenades and I used them all.

The run was still very hard, there were a number of moments when I had no medkits left. Once I had to run into the closest elevator with a smear of health from a pack of exalted kerberos. If not for Chill effect shotgun, I would have never made it.

Chill effect is OP. I got another extremely good shotgun in Io, an ADV dual with Vampiric + Reloader.
Sounds like a shottyman's dream. But Chill was still better. It's a mass slow. With very short reload time (50% + Rel2 + improved reload time from ADV armor) + fire (80% from A-mod) so fast that most oftenI could do two shots, mass Chill and then Shredder, and then a finishing shot or retreat, while enemies still stumbling.

The hardest enemies are Armored/Siege Ravagers -- there are lots of them in the late game, rockets really hurt, and it takes two-three shots (one with Shredder) to bring one down. So there was a lot of maneuvering to lure them to where I could get to them close enough, and while maneuvering there is always a chance to catch a rocket. Security bots are troublesome in Callisto, but past Valhalla Spaceport they are less numerous, so I usually just left them alone.

The most annoying are turrets. They don't wonder off; if they block the way, they have to be dealt with.
However, unlike early 0.8..., with the recent updatest there are many ways to take down a turret. Disabling with terminals if there are spare multitools. With any grenade: Frag or krak or EMP, then a single Shredder shot; or smoke/gas and then fire a few times into the fog. A couple of Shredder shots do the job, too (depending on how close you can get), but there is a risk of being fired in return. With my constant shortage of medkits, I did not dare attack rocket turrets without grenades.

My choice of the class was Marine. It's counterintuitive. But I tried many times with Tech in earlier versions for advanced modding (in 0.8.7, Tech is not very unsuitable for this challenge) and Scout which seemed like the best choice in 0.8.7. But it turns out the Marine's access to extra healing and strong defense skills like Iro, HR, and Incoming are really dominant in this challenge. Reload Dance is pretty good, too. And, of course, Shredder is designed for this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

you're having an incredible string of runs here, congratulations!
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Nice win!  :)  I have yet to so much as reach Io in this challenge.  I did get pretty far with a "cold" shotgun once, though, so I agree that it's pretty powerful.  (Died very suddenly to a Heavy around a corner, who brought me from 40 down to nothing)  :(
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos
Pages: [1]