Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.8.7|U|AoI|Ma|13|YASD] Mental note, Archreavers are fast  (Read 2928 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

My best run so far of Angel of Impatience.  I was in good shape for 95% of the game, especially since I realized that even though you can't pick up med kits without using them in this challenge, you can still extract them from medical terminals, so I had a couple of med kits in reserve for emergencies.  Then towards the end, I was cornered by a trio of Exalted Kerberoses that were fast, deadly, and regenerating, so I couldn't get away from them and they were doing a lot of damage.  I was able to kill them with my freezing shotgun, but they exhausted my emergency med kits and brought me down to four hp.  (Well, actually, they brought me down to 16, but the bleeding effect brought me down to 4 afterward)  :o

So I skipped Arena, since I figured going in there with 4hp was a bad idea, and got presented with Limbo instead...  and I've never been to Limbo in this game, so I decided I couldn't pass that up, even though I figured it would probably result in my death.  (And it did)  :P  It turns out that Limbo is full of twisty single-file platforms that are open on all sides, so you're a sitting duck while you're crossing them, and the place is swarming with Archreavers, which, as the thread title says, are fast.  :P  I couldn't get away from them fast enough, even with HR 2, and I couldn't use my usual strategy, that I had been using up 'til that point, of exploding rockets against terrain next to enemies when they're out of visual range, so they can't hit me in return, so I lost what little health I'd gained back after the disastrous Exalted Kerberos encounter.  I still very nearly did it, though; I was down to the last Archreaver and he hit me while I was going around a corner; one more square and I would've been safe.

One other note:  I found that I really like the Bloodhound ability in this game.  Very helpful in knowing what squares to target when I'm trying to shoot enemies outside of their visual range, even though it means I spend a lot of time squinting at my mini-map, counting squares.  :)

Tormuse, level 13 Marine, killed on
Limbo by a archreaver.

He survived for 17121 turns.
The run time was 5h 45m 51s.
He scored 4165 points.
He was ULTRAVIOLENT!
He was an Angel of Impatience!

CALLISTO L2 -> Callisto Mines L1
Callisto Mines L3 -> Callisto Anomaly
Callisto Anomaly - cleared
EUROPA L2 -> Conamara Chaos Biolabs L1
Conamara Chaos Biolabs L2 -> Containment Area
Containment Area - cleared
IO L2 -> Io Black Site L1
Io Black Site L2 -> Black Site Vaults
Black Site Vaults - cleared
BEYOND L2 -> Limbo

Awards
  CRI Star (bronze cluster) (+25)
   * 25+ kills without taking damage
  Explorer Ribbon (+50)
   * Visited all encountered special levels
  Eagerness Bronze Badge
   * Reach Io on Angel of Impatience

He killed 502 out of 503 enemies.

22 former soldiers
  50 fire fiends
  3 corrupted sergeants
  5 former CRI soldiers
  37 turrets
  16 rocket turrets
  6 corrupted heavys
  6 toxic reavers
  11 former commandos
  6 exalted kerbeross
  4 former grunts
  7 siege ravagers
  16 cryoreavers
  8 former guards
  6 military drones
  13 CRI marines
  7 reavers
  11 plasma ravagers
  1 former CRI grunt
  11 security bots
  3 former heavys
  4 combat drones
  4 corrupted commandos
  54 fiends
  1 toxiberos
  8 security drones
  6 exalted soldiers
  5 cryobeross
  48 archreavers
  6 exalted ravagers
  9 exalted fiends
  28 ravagers
  15 CRI bots
  2 former CRI sergeants
  33 armored ravagers
  14 corrupted soldiers
  7 kerbeross
  11 former sergeants

Traits
  Skilled L2
  Hellrunner L2
  Ironman L2
  Tough as Nails L1
  Sustained fire L1
  Bloodhound
  Field Medic
  Angry Motherfucker
  Incoming!

Equipment
  Slot #1 : rocket launcher PBA
  Slot #2 : ADV 7.62 assault rifle A
  Slot #3 : ADV 12ga shotgun PA
  Body    : blue armor PBA
  Utility : CRI rifle power control

Inventory
  rocket (x9)
  12ga shell (x50)
  12ga shell (x50)
  12ga shell (x15)
  7.62 ammo (x100)
  7.62 ammo (x100)
  7.62 ammo (x22)
  gas grenade (x1)
  frag grenade (x2)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 16:49 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: [0.8.7|U|AoI|Ma|13|YASD] Mental note, Archreavers are fast
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 05:22 »

Good run!

1. The medkit extraction is actually a bug :P. It's already fixed in the current Release Candidate (public release Monday)

2. You're not supposed to be counting squares, I hoped I nerfed blind shooting enough (seemingly not enough :P). Although once blind shooting is enough ammo wasteful I think I'll just give up and for things like Bloodhound have a red square on the map itself. But this cannot become the ultimate strategy, or we're back on DoomRL square 1.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 06:39 »

Blind shooting is virtually required to deal with all the splash-damage denizens of late Europa and beyond. Armored Ravagers will rip you to shreds unless you have Rocket/Chain combo with Juggler OR blind shoot like a maniac. The strategies to deal with them are slim.
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 13:32 »

What Moonshine said.  Armoured Ravagers, Heavies, and CRI Bots all have attacks that hit very hard.  How are you supposed to survive fighting them if you can't avoid getting hit by them?
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Dezhitse

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 14:21 »

It is very much possible, I've done my Angel of Impatience run without blind shooting at all (although with turret dancing)
Basically, what I was doing:
- Spot the enemy
- Run away from it (sadly, Hellrunner perk is required)
- Hide behind the wall
- Wait for it to appear
- Fire
- Fire again to finish off/repeat if you want to and terrain is good enough for it.

They will still deal damage, but this way you'll get their terrible accuracy due to the large distance, wall bonus and hunker bonus at the same time.
«Incoming!» perk obviously helps too if you have it.

However, I was playing on Hard, not UV.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 14:30 by Dezhitse »
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1973142090
My little outdated achievement «guide» for Jupiter Hell

Andizee

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 17:17 »

What Moonshine said.  Armored Ravagers, Heavies, and CRI Bots all have attacks that hit very hard.  How are you supposed to survive fighting them if you can't avoid getting hit by them?

Indeed. There are many heavies starting from Valhalla Spaceport, and way too many armoured ravagers starting from Europa Central Dig. No amount of medkits is enough to take on CRI Lab on UV without some degree of shooting into the dark. In Gateway practically everyone is armored ravager or CRI bot. These guys hit very hard and practically don't miss -- when they miss they hit the wall next to you so you get hit anyway.

Maybe it would be more balanced if these guys, especially armored ravagers, were more rare. Of course there should be very dangerous enemies. (And of course it should be risky to walk with half health or no armor.) But they should not be so dominant in the middle to late game, I think.

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 17:47 »

Maybe it would be more balanced if these guys, especially armored ravagers, were more rare. Of course there should be very dangerous enemies. (And of course it should be risky to walk with half health or no armor.) But they should not be so dominant in the middle to late game, I think.

Yeah, the amount of splash damage you take from stray misses, considering how tight the levels are, is too damn high without some extremely gimmicky build (high range, high damage weapon and wall hunkering) or excessive blind shooting. Of course, vigorous use of smoke/gas grenades or a toxic/haze launcher can help facilitate this, but I feel there should be more options for dealing with those guys beyond relying on luck or dull tactics.
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 06:55 »

I'm gonna take a look at post-Io monster generation to add some more variety to the compositions. Any variety will reduce the amount of armored ravagers so in turn should make stuff a bit more counter-playable. I.e. I think Kerberi should be more present, also in pairs. Maybe also move the first appearance of armored ravagers a bit further into the game.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 15:14 »

I'm gonna take a look at post-Io monster generation to add some more variety to the compositions. Any variety will reduce the amount of armored ravagers so in turn should make stuff a bit more counter-playable. I.e. I think Kerberi should be more present, also in pairs. Maybe also move the first appearance of armored ravagers a bit further into the game.
It's worth a shot. They're an interesting enemy, but there's just so many of them they become a real issue since they unavoidably chip your health down unless you use gimmicky strategies, like aforementioned blind shooting (which I know you hate).
Pages: [1]