Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.8.8|E|Ma|13|YAAM] Both Guns Blazing Through Hell and Beyond! (First Win)  (Read 2205 times)

Bonedaddy

• Lance Corporal
  • Devil Slayer
    • View Profile

As a DoomRL veteran, I've played through Jupiter Hell, but up until now, I've not picked up a single win, most often through carelessness, but most of the time through bad luck and not getting the hell out. But when the Gunslinger update came along, my luck changed for the better.

Flynn Taggart, level 13 Marine, defeated
The Summoner against all odds.
He survived for 8082 turns.
The run time was 1h 19m 6s.
He scored 3137 points.
He wanted to take it EASY.

CALLISTO L2 -> Callisto Mines L1
Callisto Mines L2 -> Callisto Anomaly
Callisto Anomaly - cleared
EUROPA L2 -> Europa Dig Zone L1
Europa Dig Zone L3 -> Tyre Outpost
Tyre Outpost - cleared
IO L2 -> Io Black Site L1
Io Black Site L2 -> Black Site Vaults
Black Site Vaults - cleared
BEYOND L1 -> The Arena
The Arena - cleared

Awards
  Medal of Prejudice (+200)
   * Won with 100% kills
  Explorer Ribbon (+50)
   * Visited all encountered special levels
  Conqueror Ribbon (+100)
   * Completed all encountered special levels
  JoviSec Silver Badge
   * Win a game
  CRI Bronze Badge
   * Win any game with 100% kills

He killed 333 out of 333 enemies.

1 summoner
  9 former soldiers
  39 fire fiends
  3 corrupted sergeants
  9 corrupted grunts
  13 former CRI soldiers
  27 turrets
  5 rocket turrets
  3 corrupted heavys
  3 toxic reavers
  14 former grunts
  4 siege ravagers
  11 cryoreavers
  17 former guards
  2 military drones
  6 CRI marines
  10 reavers
  2 corrupted guards
  3 hellish soldiers
  6 plasma ravagers
  1 former CRI grunt
  4 security bots
  1 hellish grunt
  1 toxiberos
  5 corrupted commandos
  28 fiends
  9 security drones
  1 cryoberos
  23 archreavers
  4 CRI guards
  6 hellish sergeants
  3 exalted fiends
  15 ravagers
  4 CRI bots
  3 exalted reavers
  5 former CRI sergeants
  2 hellish commandos
  10 armored ravagers
  14 corrupted soldiers
  2 kerbeross
  10 former sergeants

Traits
  Hellrunner L2
  Ironman L2
  Tough as Nails L1
  Son of a Gun L2
  Focused fire
  Gunslinger L2
  Field Medic
  Incoming!

Equipment
  Slot #1 : 9mm pistol PBA
  Slot #2 : CRI plasma pistol P
  Slot #3 : CRI plasma pistol P
  Body    : ADV blue armor P
  Utility : ADV accuracy amp

Inventory
  energy cell (x17)
  9mm ammo (x100)
  9mm ammo (x100)
  9mm ammo (x56)
  small medkit (x3)
  small medkit (x3)
  large medkit

So with the new Gunslinger update, I had a new trait to play around with. I started the build out as a standard Son of a Gun build before moving into Gunslinger. I found an ADV 9mm gun fairly early upon getting my first level of Gunslinger, but quickly learned to my annoyance that ADV 9mm pistols and regular 9mm pistols don't mix well together, which didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But Gunslinger turned out to be a hell of a trait, especially once I got my hands on the second level of it. I quickly capitalized on this by modding up both of my pistols with power and accuracy and bulk mods, to the point where near the end of Europa, I had two PBA 9mm pistols delivering the pain to my foes, and a fairly large stockpile of 9mm ammo. Also helping tremendously were the new Health Orbs that greatly aided my survivability.

Io was where things started to get a bit tricky. It was the section where the plasma weapons started to appear, and I got my hands on two plasma pistols, leaving one of my PBA 9mms behind so that I could focus on dual-wielding the plasma guns. Unfortunately, I did not find very much plasma ammo beyond the first few stages of Io, and as a result, I found myself running low on plasma ammo by the time I got to the Vaults, so I ended up switching back to my remaining PBA 9mm, which I still had a good stockpile of ammo for, and found that I could use both that gun and my other plasma gun in tandem, which ended up saving my run. I was only able to open two of the Vaults using the Red Keycards, and when I ended up running out of plasma ammo, it was back to single-gunning it for a bit until I managed to get myself in plasma ammo again, though not enough to switch back to the dual plasma pistols, resulting in me using the PBA 9mm pistol and my plasma pistol for the rest of my run.

My gunslinging was eventually enough to take me to Beyond (a.k.a. Hell), where I had never been before. My main opposition were reavers, ravagers, fiends, and the occasional Hell Soldiers that gave me some refills on my ammo. I entered the Arena, and after killing everything (which was pretty tough going even with my health-ups and my levels of Ironman), another portal opened which I didn't really know about at the time. I knew from previous mortems on this forum that this was probably the end, but when I arrived at the Precipice of Despair, our favorite Marine's words pretty much echoed my thoughts at the time: "Where the fuck am I?"

The Precipice is basically a linear level where you face serious opposition as well as the Summoner, the main bad of this game. But thanks to Gunslinger, my build, and my choice of weaponry, I was able not only to clear out what the Summoner threw at me, but take him down after three to four rounds of summoning and retreating. Our marine decided to pull a Doom Slayer and stay in Hell to clean up, resulting in my first big win in Jupiter Hell and my first YAAM win.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:02 by Bonedaddy »

Andizee

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Well done, congratulations on the win!
I wonder why ADV 9mm pistols and regular 9mm pistols don't mix well together?
I can see why .44 revolver and ADV 9mm pistol could be a problem because of shortage of .44 ammo. But why two different 9mm's?

Bonedaddy

• Lance Corporal
  • Devil Slayer
    • View Profile

Went through another playthrough, and it turns out that I was mistaken on the matter. As long as you're wielding a pistol, you can dual wield any pistol you pick up with another, be they 9mms, .44s or plasma guns. My initial reaction was borne out of the pistol I picked up not immediately linking up with the pair that I had. By switching from one pair to another, that little problem's fixed.

khiijol

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

congrats on the win!
[26/26/24/20/7/2]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

YAAM Conqueror?  That's a pretty nice first win!  :)  Seems like Gunslinger worked out pretty well for you.  I'm gonna have to try that out next; I played a couple of games, going for Headshot, and they didn't go so well.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos
Pages: [1]