Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.8.8b|M|AoC|Ma|YAVP] Rockets... everywhere!  (Read 2207 times)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
[0.8.8b|M|AoC|Ma|YAVP] Rockets... everywhere!
« on: February 15, 2020, 02:26 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I should learn to read the descriptions a bit more.  I thought this was going to be similar to something from the past, but to my amazement it was basically Rockets ho!.  Everyone gets a rocket to the face!

I've hardly ever used the Rocket Launcher in my normal games, so I'd like to think of AoC as a great way of introducing Rocket Launcher mechanics.  I've learnt quickly to not take on too many armoured foes because the RL is basically nerfed.

This is just a bog-standard wussy-ass run at Medium difficulty, relying on Reload Dance and Incoming! to help with offense and defense respectively.  The description of the RL says it is Slash damage, but Incoming! seems to mitigate explosions, so I'm not even sure if taking Incoming! was helping me protect myself against my own rocket fire (I sure hope it does).

The summoner fight was aided greatly by the phase devices -- I realised that with the RL, there was no point trying to plink off the summoned foes and it was better to concentrate fire on the Summoner itself.  I wasn't going for a YAAM, just looking to notch off a win on Medium for myself.

A very fun challenge mode for sure!  Maybe next time I will be less wussy and try for a Conqueror type run... on Medium.  But not on AoC.  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.8b|M|AoC|Ma|YAVP] Rockets... everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 15:47 »

Yeah, AoC is a lot of fun.  :)  You could even say...

...it's a blast.  :P

Anyway, I'm curious, how did you find ammo management?  In my UV game, I found it varied widely between having more rockets than I knew what to do with and having to use every trick I could to save ammo.

In any case, congrats on your win!  :D
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 18:20 »

Indeed, it was a Blast!  =D

For medium difficulty, ammo management for scrub-playing tactics like mine are alright.  Most organic things go down in one at most two rockets, and each ammo dropped replenishes between 1 to 2 rockets (I'd estimate around 1.1 to 1.2 on average).

It's the bots that eat rockets and make ammo management a pain.  The non-drone bots eat 3 to 5 rockets, and barely restore your ammo.  That's why I decided to be a scrub and just play it straight without going to the special levels.  One of my earlier attempts saw me in Valhalla Command(?) where I was promptly decimated by the bots there due to excessive ammo use and damage.

That's why I decided to not attempt a YAAM run for that reason.
I computed, therefore I was.

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 00:49 »

Valhalla Command is a nightmare with Slash damage. XD
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.
Pages: [1]