Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|90%|Win] My first attempt at Nightmare. R.I.P. JC  (Read 5778 times)

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.8.5) roguelike post-mortem character dump
--------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, level 19 Cacodemon Captain, nuked the Cyberdemon.
 on level 26 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 275458 turns and scored 1521672 points.
 He opposed the Nightmare!

He killed 5022 out of 5568 hellspawn. (90%)
 He held his right to remain violent.

He found the Phobos Arena.
 He stormed the Chained Court.
 He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
 He fought on Hell's Arena.
 He became a champion of Hell's Arena!
 He invaded Spider's lair.
 He faced The Wall.
 He was caught in the Mortuary!
 He killed the Cyberdemon, just to find a greater evil...
 He discovered true Hell!
 He defeated the FINAL EVIL!

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 84/80   Experience 282015/19
  ToHit +6  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman        (Level 3)
    Finesse        (Level 2)
    Hellrunner     (Level 3)
    Tough as nails (Level 1)
    Son of a gun   (Level 1)
    Reloader       (Level 3)
    Eagle Eye      (Level 2)
    Intuition      (Level 3)
    Shottyman      (Level 1)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   red armor [4/4] (89%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   advanced rocket launcher (4d5) [0/1]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   protective boots [4/4] (80%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [40/40]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] red armor [4/4] (92%)
    [b] chainsaw (4d6)
    [c] double shotgun (6d3)x2 [2/2]
    [d] chaingun (1d6)x5 [50/50]
    [e] plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [40/40]
    [f] BFG 9000 (8d8) [0/100]
    [g] 10mm ammo (x10)
    [h] shotgun shell (x16)
    [i] shotgun shell (x50)
    [j] rocket
    [k] power cell (x40)
    [l] large med-pack
    [m] phase device
    [n] large med-pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

978 former humans
    1628 former sergeants
    179 former captains
    353 imps
    1404 demons
    44 lost souls
    132 cacodemons
    35 barons of hell
    30 hell knights
    43 arachnotrons
    1 John Carmack
    20 former commandos
    22 pain elementals
    19 arch-viles

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
 On level 2 he battled through the complex.
 On level 3 he battled through the complex.
 Afterwards he fought on Hell's Arena.
 On level 4 he battled through the complex.
 On level 5 he battled through the complex.
 On level 6 he found hellish caves.
 He then stormed the Chained Court.
 On level 7 he battled through the complex.
 Afterwards he witnessed the Wall.
 On level 8 he found hellish caves.
 On level 9 he battled through the complex.
 On level 10 he found a hellish city.
 On level 11 he battled through the complex.
 On level 12 he found a hellish city.
 He then ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
 On level 13 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 14 he found a hellish city.
 On level 15 he found a hellish city.
 On level 16 he battled through the complex.
 On level 17 he battled through the complex.
 On level 18 he found a hellish city.
 Then he ventured into the Spider's Lair.
 On level 19 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 20 he found a hellish city.
 On level 21 he battled through a maze of rooms.
 On level 22 he battled through the complex.
 He was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
 On level 23 he battled through the complex.
 On level 24 he found hellish caves.
 Then at last he found the Phobos Arena.
 He killed the Cyberdemon, and discovered true Hell!
Then finally in hell itself, he killed the final EVIL.

I originally intended to go pistols, but I think it takes too many traits and you might as well use a Plasma Rifle instead. Therefore I regretted taking Son of a Gun, also Shottyman to a degree. Taking 2 extra levels of TaN instead would've helped greatly.. but I still won so not too fussed.

I entered every dungeon that I could find. I think for some reason there wasn't a City of Skulls, as I didn't get the stairs message, else I would have attempted it. I entered but then gave up on Spider's Lair, it was consuming too much ammo. Same for the Mortuary, I attempted it but theres just too many AVs and self-resurrecting corpses and the reward is only AA, so I exited via the safest corner (Adv RL, which I didn't bother taking as I had one from the Wall). I could have nuked Mortuary, but I didn't want to risk the nuke mortem bug being the reason I didn't get a N! win.

After 24 levels of pure N! hell and a nuked CD, JC was a piece of cake (I still had 105% health when he died, the remainder of my overhealth from level 24).

Oh I thought this would happen to the hiscore table. I just wanted to see for myself.
"scored 1521672 points."
any score over 999,999 shows up as 6 digits in the hiscore table (only space for 6 digits).
so my top score is N 152167 .. and underneath it is my 290,000ish win from AoI game.

Ok lets see, Major requirements:
Win on at least Hurt Me Plenty. Ok I think I've done that now :)
complete AoMr
complete AoP

I think AoP is going to be much easier, because I get to use all my weapons, so thats next.

Oh I just noticed this, I love this (from my player info):

Difficulty level achievements:
Nightmare!: fully won (1 win total) deaths: none kills: 4888

No deaths, and nearly 5000 kills. I might never play N! again just to keep it like that, lol.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:59 by Firstblood »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: [N!|90%|Win] My first attempt at Nightmare. R.I.P. JC
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 00:47 »

OMFG
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 03:49 »

Although this is without any doubt an incredible acheivement in almost any case, I would like to know just how much you XP scummed during the early levels. In Blade's (our only other N! winner) defense, he may have won with a much lower kill ratio, but he also made it with far fewer traits.
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=630.0

But as I had said, this is an incredible achievement. Gratz.

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:51 »

Thanks. To clvl 19, trying to find out the max clvl and because every trait counts on N!, and because past clvl 14 theres no practical way to reach higher without xpscumming, even if you killed everything on the way down, the xp gap between levels is that high (and to reach clvl 20, it appears you need to kill approx. 10,000 demons, or gain approx 1,000,000 xp. I thought it was impossible but I ended the game with 19/1%).

I know for certain if I had taken clvl18, or clvl17 with no SoaG, I would have died around dlvl 20, so am very glad I went all the way to clvl19 (but regretted SoaG all that way and all the way through to dlvl 26 lol). There are some very risky situations that can occur in N! that are unavoidable, such as being surrounded by a horde of AV's, and self-resurrecting A's, B's and Pain O's, or having them between you and the stairs. This is compounded by the fact, that on most levels you have no idea where the stairs even are, the only certainty is on almost each level theres approx. 50 high level monsters out for your blood. Also surprisingly ammo can be very problematic, a lot of it gets blown up by rockets and demons and you can't search the level for it because Barons and Arachs will constantly ressurect and take up more of your ammo. If Computer Mapper was a trait, it would help greatly on N! Maybe its included in Int 3 in the beta, I wouldn't know, I know the red dot thing is being nerfed.

I did find a rapid pistol, but wasn't so certain of even being able to reach dlvl 25 to try and take on CD/JC with it, so discarded it for more practical ammo.

I don't think Kill ratios are really important. No doubt Blades is the better win. Its almost N! without weapon use past dlvl 2, thats practically N! with fists or less, and no Cateye or Intuition either (so played practically blind as far as N! is concerned). Thats sounds so difficult I'll probably never attempt or succeed with that. I'll be happy if I can just complete AoMr, AoP, AoB, AoH and AoMs challenges.

One other thing about this N! run. Berserk mode or Invincibility, plus Int 2, don't mix well, every powerup becomes bright red or black respectively. I don't know whether it should be this way or not, but it certainly makes N! a lot harder, because what you hope is a Computer Map, Supercharge, Berserk or Invincibility can turn out to be a Small Health Globe, and frequently is (or an Armour Shard when your Armor is good) and thats precious Berserk/Invincibility time wasted right there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:19 by Firstblood »

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 12:41 »

I don't think Kill ratios are really important. No doubt Blades is the better win. Its almost N! without weapon use past dlvl 2, thats practically N! with fists or less, and no Cateye or Intuition either (so played practically blind as far as N! is concerned). Thats sounds so difficult I'll probably never attempt or succeed with that. I'll be happy if I can just complete AoMr, AoP, AoB, AoH and AoMs challenges.

Well, considering your achievements so far, I think you're doing pretty damn well compared with the rest of us. I'm quite sure you'll find the challenges to be not too difficult, considering your above victory. After that, I think it's about time Blade gets some good competition :) - I'm eager to see him trying to match your success, and will be just as happy seeing you try and match his!

Regarding power-ups, I think berserk having such a drawback actually makes sense, but with Invulnerability it really does bite.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:44 »

*Blade nervously giggling

Wow!

Oh my...

Great work!))

You have a good chance to become second General on this forum.))

I have one question: how much time have you spent on this victory?))

By the way, i don't think that my victory is harder. Otherwise, i think that it's really easier to get vital minimum of traits just to survive, and than to run all levels without shooting, than to play carefull game with so big risk to die(even with good set of traits you can be DooMed if big crowd of monsters stands between you and stairs. And if you die with 19 traits, you will loose all this time that you needed to get them. It's really pity).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 12:53 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 13:33 »

Looking at the time between posting AoI, and N! win, it has to be less than 12 hours. I don't know how long it took in total, as I didn't play non-stop. I guess I finished it 6-8 hours after I started it, so less than 8 hours of play. I don't know how long the xp scumming took, I just rushed it as fast I could using chaingun and shotgun. I eventually narrowed them down to a lone chaingunner and demon and thats how I got the final levels 14-19, thanks to your tips in your own N! wins they showed it was very possible to do.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 09:02 »

I doubt I'll ever finish N!, simply because I'm so damn impatient and after XP scumming all the way to level 10 and losing, I simply gave up on doing it again :)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 12:22 »

OMFG
Q4T ;D

I just wanted to congratulate Firstblood as well. And here I was proud of reaching dlvl16 in N! :p
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 17:22 »

Well I think dlvl 16 in N! is almost as good as a N! win, its not easy to get to dlvl16 in N! at all (at least I felt endangered on almost every level of N! when I played, whereas UV games feel "relatively safe"). There was one part where I had <10% health and standing next to a Healthy Baron of Hell and a Lost Soul clutching only a Chainsaw (I had felt like ammo was running out) and half a dozen Cacodemons chasing behind me around the corner, before dlvl20 and could have been around dlvl 17. I was standing on a Berserk Pack at the time, so I survived. (I had Large medpacks too, but the Berserk Pack was more efficient)

Just as easily though I could have died there, if there had been no Berserk Pack (I knew it was either a Large Health Globe or a Berserk Pack, they look the same, as I had Int 3). So your N! dlvl 16 could have been a win in other circumstances :)

Now that the new version of DooMRL is released, I wonder if N! is still possible (because of the NOEXP change). Will download and try sometime.

Also a bit late to think of now since its out already, but I wonder if Large Health Globe and Berserk Pack are still the same colour, and if the cursor remembers when you fired when you fire out of LOS (if you don't e.g. move), as it didn't in 0.985.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 17:30 by Firstblood »
Pages: [1]