DoomRL > Discussion

How Dead is this Game?

<< < (2/5) > >>

mihey1993:
Mostly it is indeed JH this days. I too still lurk forum often enough, but i am nowhere good enough to post many wins here, and JH ones go mostly on discord.

CrashGordon94:
Indeed, Jupiter Hell is taking the attention now, particularly since that's in active development and changing quite a bit.

I occasionally pop in here sometimes, though obviously less often now.

One thing I'd like to mention is that the Jupiter Hell Discord has a channel for this game. Not a very active one, but it's there at least.

Sereg:
I still check in once in awhile.

I don't have the kind of free time these days to get involved with JH the way I did with DRL, unfortunately, but it's still interesting to see what others have been up to.

Hopefully I'll have some more time for JH some day, though.

ParaSait:
Hey, who remembers me? :D I've lost count of how many years it's been at this point...

I was thinking of revisiting DoomRL today, and I was wondering about exactly this question. The answer is pretty much in line with my expectations (unfortunately).

It's pretty clear that the game's development is officially 100% dead at this point, but I'd love to see this childhood game of mine come alive and kicking again in some form. I was thinking, maybe it would be really awesome if a couple of hardcore fans from the old days were to band together and work on a complete rewrite of the game, in a language that's a little less archaic, and with all the references to IP protected content carefully stripped out and replaced with "close enough" alternatives, while leaving the core gameplay mechanics entirely untouched. (one big advantage that DoomRL has is that even though it has a Doom-like paint job, it does very much have its own identity in the way of gameplay mechanics...)

I develop software for a living these days (albeit business software, not games). Maybe this could be a fun spare time thing to work on if there's any interest...

Addendum: is the chaosforge chat room still a thing?

thelaptop:

--- Quote from: ParaSait on March 26, 2021, 18:10 ---Addendum: is the chaosforge chat room still a thing?

--- End quote ---

I don't think so.  Heck, even I am not there.  Try looking in Discord though... but even then, it will be Jupiter Hell centric.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version