Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [U|AoI|YAAM] Eagerness Platinum, Lava Silver - Assembly Line  (Read 2949 times)

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Intuitive Impatience,
 level 15 Arch-Vile Marshal Scout,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 164681 turns and scored 341074 points.
 He played for 2 hours, 38 minutes and 32 seconds.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 1384 out of 1384 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!
 He was an Angel of Impatience!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 7
  Levels completed : 7

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Mastermind's Brain
  Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (gold cluster)
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Chessmaster's Token
  Hell Champion Medal
  Lava Silver Badge
  Eagerness Gold Badge
  Eagerness Platinum Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ######................................#####################
  #####...............####...............####################
  ####.......####.....####.....####.......###################
  ###........####.....####.....####........##################
  ##.........####.....####.....####.........#################
  #..........####.....%........####..........################
  ..............................X.............###############
  ....####............................####....###############
  ....####............................####&...###############
  ............................................###############
  #..........####..............####..........################
  ##.........####.....####.....####.........#################
  ###........####.....####.....####........##################
  ####.......####.....####.....####.......###################
  #####...............####...............####################
  ######................................#####################
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 82/50   Experience 107595/15
  ToHit Ranged +4  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +2  ToDmg Melee +2

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 2)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 2)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 2)
    Triggerhappy     (Level 2)
    Cateye           (Level 1)

Int->Int->EE->SoB->SoB->TH->MCe->HR->HR->DM->Fin->Jug->EE->Fin->TH->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   powered red armor [5/5] (100%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   plasma rifle (1d7)x6 [32/40] (A1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   Nyarlaptotep's Boots [6/6] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   assault shotgun (8d3) [6/6] (P1)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] gatling gun (1d7)x6 [49/60]
    [b] missile launcher (6d7) [4/4] (P1)
    [c] BFG 9000 (10d6) [130/130] (B1)
    [d] tactical armor [0/0] (100%)
    [e] blue armor [2/2] (180%) (B)
    [f] energy shield [0/0] (100%)
    [g] shotgun shell (x70)
    [h] shotgun shell (x70)
    [i] shotgun shell (x18)
    [j] shotgun shell (x70)
    [k] rocket (x14)
    [l] rocket (x14)
    [m] rocket (x14)
    [n] power cell (x60)
    [o] lava steel boots [1]
    [p] 10mm ammo chain (x250)
    [q] 10mm ammo chain (x250)
    [r] shell box (x100)
    [s] shell box (x100)
    [t] rocket box (x20)
    [u] power battery (x56)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Melee      - internal 0%    torso 25%   feet 0%   
    Acid       - internal 0%    torso 0%    feet 30% 
    Fire       - internal 0%    torso 50%   feet 30% 

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

88 former humans
    114 former sergeants
    53 former captains
    151 imps
    46 demons
    635 lost souls
    36 cacodemons
    27 hell knights
    75 barons of hell
    5 arachnotrons
    16 former commandos
    47 pain elementals
    22 revenants
    22 mancubi
    20 arch-viles
    7 elite former humans
    5 elite former sergeants
    5 elite former captains
    2 elite former commandos
    2 bruiser brothers
    2 shamblers
    1 lava elemental
    1 agony elemental
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 7 he marched into the Military Base.
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical boots!
  He purified his fellow comrades.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Deimos Lab.
  On level 9 he assembled a gatling gun!
  On level 9 he assembled a lava boots!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 11 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 12 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 14 he assembled a power armor!
  On level 14 he assembled a tactical armor!
  On level 14 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  He sounded the alarm on level 19!
  On level 22 he entered the Lava Pits.
  On level 22 he found the Nyarlaptotep's Boots!
  He managed to clear the Lava Pits completely!
  Level 23 was a hard nut to crack!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 24 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! The
 missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched!
 You reload the plasma rifle.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a Spider Mastermind (almost dead) | floor | [ m ]ore
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The missile hits the Spider
 Mastermind. The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The missile hits the
 Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! The missile hits the
 Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! The missile hits the
 Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind dies. Congratulations! You defeated
 the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>...
 You feel relatively safe now.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

4511 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 4217 of those were killed.
 25 of those were killed by something unknown.
 71 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 145 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

53 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 8 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 32 killed the bitch and survived.
 13 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

I've been trying for Eagerness Gold and Platinum for a while now, originally just for the gold but I felt the platinum honestly wasn't that much harder. What I've discovered with Cateye, though, is that it can be amazingly hard to actually get enough ammo to kill things with - I kept a shotgun on me for situations where it's most useful, but also because 10mm and power cells would rapidly deplete if I tried to kill too much with them. I went for int2 and then EE first because, well, without EE rapid fire weapons are essentially off the table, and int2 is just really, really good.

So how'd this go? Well, I skipped CC+. because it tends to kill me on AoI. I seem to recall having a combat shotgun before Military Base, though, which helped a lot - I did some standard assembling of tactical boots and gatling gun (for its plasma-adjacent damage output with 10mm) but a major difference in this run is I figured out how to kill shamblers on AoI. Some careful rocket launching allowed me to expose the double supercharges in Deimos Lab (I grabbed my assault shotgun from there first - the weapons I blew up were two pistols and a shotgun, all unloaded.) With everything dead, I grabbed one, ran to the final shambler lever, pulled it and ran - and when I saw a shambler I stood there and chainfired plasma into it, not caring much about taking damage as I had a lot of spare health, good armor and a supercharge to heal up afterwards. But when I saw the onyx pack in there, I knew this was going to be a good run - I grabbed a set of steel boots dropped from a crate, slapped the onyx pack on alongside a tech mod that dropped and got myself those tasty lava boots.

The Wall is pretty easy even on AoI, especially since I went in supercharged, but it does an excellent job of ruining a Cateye's ammo supply. Still, the backpack is worth it when "how much ammo can I carry" is the biggest concern I have. Why did I enter the City of Skulls? I probably shouldn't have, but pain elementals and lost souls really don't like assault shotguns - on floor 13 I entered with my health in the red, and slowly got less and less stressed as I collected medpacks and got up to 100% (and I'm pretty sure I did the level damageless anyway). A little later, as the mortem history shows, I found a nano pack and got one of my favourite assemblies in the game - powered red armor. 50% fire resist, 25% melee resist, plus 5 flat damage reduction with no movespeed penalty and self-repair? That's a yes from me, especially considering how many of the worst attacks you can get hit by are fire damage. I also assembled tactical armor on that floor - my pretty much exact reasoning was "Oh I've got two agility mod packs and nothing to do with them, I'll make tactical armor why not". I did then use it to get a bit of a speed boost through Halls of Carnage at the start.

I didn't manage a Cyberdemon's Head as I took some mild damage maneuvering around Cybie to avoid getting crushed against pillars, but he's pretty easy to melt with plasma. The start of Hell was mostly uneventful and consisted of the usual "zap things from range or around corners" cycle, but level 19 gave me an alarm event - which was amazing, as it was a hellish city, but other than going all the way to the outside and around the buildings, all the routes to me were blocked by lava, meaning everything helpfully clumped up there and politely stood still while I shot it from the edge of Cateye range. I don't remember a huge amount of the event in Hell as I already had most of what I needed - A-modded plasma, gatling gun, powered red, tac boots and lava boots to swap to. I skipped the Unholy Cathedral because an AoI Cateye build is in no position to punch the AoD to death, skipped the Vaults because I didn't have a way to clear the centre vault and didn't feel them worth visiting and I skipped the Mortuary because dear god no. Finally came the Lava Pits - a moment I'd been waiting for, the moment to earn Lava Silver...

Yeah, it wasn't that exciting. Turns out with Cateye, this challenge really shows why it's a silver badge. Lava boots meant I didn't need to rush through, unlike with Envirosuits, and since most enemies can't venture into lava, I just cateye-sniped everything from just out of range (I had Juggler by this point, so I could just whip out the assault shotgun and blow away lost souls - nothing else was a threat anyway.) I'd never really noticed before that the Lava Elemental's attack seems to have Revenant autotarget, as I dodged one and it exploded behind me - but when you're wearing powered red armor and lava boots, fire attacks that leave lava behind aren't something to worry about. He got the standard "Chainfire to death" treatment, and with that, my Lava Silver was secured. I also grabbed Nyarlaptotep's Boots and ditched my tac boots, since Nyarlaptotep's give a better speed boost anyway. Oh, and I grabbed Triggerhappy in the Lava Pits, because I figured I was close enough to the end to not run out of ammo.

With that out of the way, Level 23 had a nano pack I didn't need for anything and a tracking map which made it rather easy. I ridiculously overprepared for the Mastermind, gathering all the ammo I could and planning my entry to Dis to be on as many health globes as possible. I went in and... oh, right, yeah, Cateye. Unlike Cybie, Spidey can't touch you from beyond vision range, so I just stayed out of range and shot her with a plasma rifle repeatedly. I had to reload twice (as my neatly missing 80 cells suggest) and she died from the first volley after reload #2.

For my overall thoughts, AoI is just really mean in general, but at least it gives you plenty of inventory space to play with. I've been considering Inquisitor Platinum, but considering you need to be well stacked with medpacks there, I don't know if I'd be able to run Cateye sustainably. Plus, it would suffer from something I only really noticed the true strength of in this run - I generally leave powerups to the end of the level if possible, because pretty much the main cause of death is going down stairs into death, so having overheal and as many powerups as possible at level start is extremely strong in case you need to clean up a clump of terrible things immediately.
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
Re: [U|AoI|YAAM] Eagerness Platinum, Lava Silver - Assembly Line
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 17:56 »

Always nice to see DRL mortems - especially ones with shiny badges, and yours has quite alot of those. I don't recall pulling off any of the Chessmaster medals myself.

AoI may not be quite as nasty as AoP, but it's definitely no joke - no safety net, so careful play is a must. Looks like you tailored your build well to the challenge. Congratulations on an impressive win!
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

The DoomRLguy

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [U|AoI|YAAM] Eagerness Platinum, Lava Silver - Assembly Line
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 11:45 »

Thanks!

Chessmaster's Token isn't really all that hard, it's just Hell's Arena on UV AoMs/AoI (doesn't require you to be damageless or anything). Int2 makes a joke out of Hell's Arena aside from the barons, unless you get an unlucky wave start that surrounds you with death, and you don't need to worry about being hurt at the end since you get a supercharge.

I'm inclined towards thinking this is a relatively minor win, but it's not the type of win I've usually been good at - my most impressive looking badges are from Nightmare melee massacres where I brute-forced a lot of things, and many of my runs are riddled with "Oops! There goes another medpack..." moments, so this is more of a personal development win as I've gradually got better at avoiding damage through it - although that's partly because Cateye+Int2 is a godly combination. You normally see for 8 squares, as do enemies, but with Cateye you see 10 squares away and can therefore shoot things 10 squares away without the 50% automiss chance, and Int2 extends 3 tiles beyong vision range - so you can see the asterisk 13 tiles away, through any kind of wall or obstruction, while they're still 5 tiles away from being able to shoot you. With a 13-tile radius of knowing the position of every enemy, you can see roughly what you're up against and plan accordingly.

Actually, that reminds me of another neat int2 tactic - the fact that it sees through walls means you can wait at a door for all the enemies on the other side to move away somewhere they can't attack through it. This actually became my favoured Anomaly tactic - get through the initial trap and close the door, then watch the asterisks move until they're in good places for me to open the door.

I'll be trying for more golds and platinums soon, as well as having Brick Silver to post, so hopefully I'll be posting here a few more times in the near future.
Unexpectedness is always a surprise.
Arch-Vile Marshal
[26|26|25|16|8|1]
JH: Major [10|9|7|1|0]
Pages: [1]