Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0.9.8a|N!|AoI|Ma|YAVP] Just call me Gattsu. :) (Eagerness Diamond)  (Read 1799 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Recently, over on the Discord server, the subject of combining Survivor trait with Angry MotherFucker trait came up, and Kornel had this to say about it:

That combo is intended. For a Berserk! style of gameplay :P
I wanna see a RaT+AMF+Survivor melee build :P
With the demonic sword. I'd call it Gattsu

So naturally, I had to try that out.  :)  I figured I'd do it in an AoI game to really be living on the edge.  :P  (And also so I could get a Diamond badge while I was doing it)  :)  After making a few failed attempts where I tried to make it an exclusively melee game, I decided to try it as a hybrid build, using mostly ranged weapons until I was leveled up enough to make the transition to using only melee weapons, and that worked out better.

I've learned over the course of the last bunch of games that the reward at the end of Calsec Central is based on your kill counts.  Whatever type of weapon you have the most kills of, you get an AV3 version of that weapon.  I also noticed that in this version, the character screen tracks kills for auto rifles, hunter rifles, and chainguns separately, as "automatics," "semi-automatics," and "rotaries" respectively, so I thought it would be neat to see if I could get enough "rotary" kills to get an advanced chaingun.  This is a little tricky, because 7.62 ammo is relatively scarce in Callisto, and you generally don't see any chainguns until a few levels in.  I dealt with this by balancing my kills out, getting some kills with pistols, some with shotguns, some with melee, etc...  keeping each of the numbers low, so that when I got the chaingun, the number of "rotary" kills would be highest.

Unfortunately, it didn't work.  Even though I was successful in keeping the chaingun kills up, the reward was an AV3 9mm auto rifle instead, and 9mm ammo isn't common enough in mid to late game to make it worth it, so I left it behind, all that work for nothing.  :(  (I guess the game still considers chaingun kills to be "automatic" kills for purposes of Calsec Central rewards, if not on the character screen;  oh well, live and learn...)

I got an AV2 katana from the Mk2 manufacture station in Asterius Breach, (Side note:  I find it kind of weird that Asterius Breach is harder than Tyre Outpost, but Tyre Outpost has a better reward of a Mk3 manufacture station) which is about the time I switched to more or less full time melee.  I was a little dismayed by the fact that the katana had the "molten" perk, because in my experience, melee weapons that burn enemies are just as likely to burn you.  :P  But it worked out okay, because it was doing enough damage from the RaT and AMF bonuses that most enemies were gibbed with one hit, and the burning wasn't an issue.  :)

That katana later got replaced by the AV3 katana you see in slot 1, which I found as the reward in Noxious Hollow...  which is kind of a funny level to play in Nightmare difficulty, because of the abundant toxic clouds around, which are no problem for all the toxic reavers around, which are immune to poison, but when they revived in exalted forms, the whole level was filled with the pain and dying sounds of all the exalted reavers, which were not immune to the poison.  :D

For a long while, I had a really nice self-repairing combat armour with bleeding resistance.  The self-repairing aspect was really important for the fact that armour really takes a beating in a melee build, and the bleeding resistance was important for the stacking bleeding damage that melee enemies do.  Unfortunately, I ended up losing that armour in Shattered Abyss from all the abundant Archreavers.  (Damn acid damage!)

The Swordmaster was kind of funny to fight.  :)  By that time, I had max 160hp, so the Survivor trait was keeping me at 40hp, but he apparently does more damage than that, since one hit brought me down to 1hp, with the message that Survivor kept me alive.  This was followed by me running around in circles for a while to keep away from him long enough for my hp to regenerate enough for me to take another swing at him.  :P

I did use the Demonic Sword for a while at the end, just to keep the theme of Kornel's game, but it wasn't the greatest for a number of reasons...  the fact that it kept healing me meant that for each kill, I was getting a smaller and smaller damage bonus, and I was also no longer getting the bonus of the "surrounded" perk from the katana.  Worst of all, I no longer had the effect of the "resilient" perk from the katana, so I was missing more often any time I was in pain.  (Which is really worrying when you're low on health and counting on each of your hits to land!)  I still used the Demonic Sword to finish off the Summoner, but things were a little shaky at the end.

So there you go, another Diamond badge!  Yay!  :D  My new highest score too!  :)

Tormuse, level 19 Marine, defeated
The Summoner against all odds.
He survived for 16039 turns.
The run time was 5h 13m 1s.
He scored 9962 points.
He opposed the NIGHTMARE!
He was an Angel of Impatience!

CALLISTO L2 - Infestation
CALLISTO L3 -> Mimir Habitat L1
Mimir Habitat L2 - Lockdown
Mimir Habitat L3 - Lockdown
Mimir Habitat L3 -> CalSec Central
CalSec Central - cleared
EUROPA L3 - Lockdown
Europa Concourse -> Asterius Habitat L1
Asterius Habitat L2 -> Asterius Breach
Asterius Breach - cleared
IO L3 - The Hunt
IO L3 -> Mephitic Mines L1
Mephitic Mines L2 -> Noxious Hollow
Noxious Hollow - cleared
IO L6 - Lockdown
The Shattered Abyss - cleared
BEYOND L2 -> Limbo
Limbo - cleared
BEYOND L3 - Exalted Summons

Awards
  CRI Star (bronze cluster) (+25)
   * 25+ kills without taking damage
  Explorer Ribbon (+50)
   * Visited all encountered special levels
  Conqueror Ribbon (+100)
   * Completed all encountered special levels
  Eagerness Platinum Badge
   * Complete Angel of Impatience on UV
  Eagerness Diamond Badge
   * Complete AoI on Nightmare!

He killed 906 out of 925 enemies.

12 corrupted commandos
  71 reavers
  1 Summoner
  24 ice fiends
  7 cybeross
  3 hellish sergeants
  22 fiends
  21 cryoreavers
  2 security drones
  17 military sentrys
  21 exalted ravagers
  3 hellish soldiers
  13 toxibeross
  17 armored ravagers
  19 former grunts
  99 exalted reavers
  3 corrupted heavys
  9 combat drones
  35 exalted kerbeross
  5 kerbeross
  3 hellish commandos
  6 military bots
  12 CRI bots
  1 guardian bot
  7 plasma ravagers
  2 former CRI sergeants
  18 former guards
  6 former sergeants
  16 CRI marines
  15 ravagers
  5 corrupted sergeants
  16 fire fiends
  1 former CRI grunt
  5 siege ravagers
  2 former CRI heavys
  22 turrets
  2 former heavys
  14 cryobeross
  4 former commandos
  18 CalSec bots
  11 security bots
  4 former CRI commandos
  27 toxic reavers
  69 archreavers
  84 exalted soldiers
  64 exalted fiends
  17 security sentrys
  22 rocket turrets
  36 CalSec sentrys
  1 Swordmaster
  18 corrupted soldiers
  22 former soldiers
  4 hellish heavys
  7 former CRI soldiers
  12 toxic fiends

Traits
  Ironman L2
  Furious L1
  Hellrunner L3
  Sustained fire L1
  Tough as Nails L3
  Rip and tear L2
  Angry Motherfucker L3
  SURVIVOR L3

Trait order
  SF->AMf->AMf->AMf->TaN->TaN->Iro->MSV->
  Hr->RaT->RaT->MSV->MSV->Iro->Hr->TaN->
  Fur->Hr

Equipment
  Slot #1 : AV3 katana BA
   * Guarded 10
   * Resilient
   * Surrounded
   * Freezing 2

Slot #2 : demonic sword
   * Frenzy 10
   * Vampiric 5

Slot #3 : 9mm frag shotgun B
   * Autoloader
   * Shredder
   * Swap Harness

Body    : AV3 combat armor A
   * Swift
   * Compartments
   * Adrenal

Head    : ENV helmet
   * Heatvision 6
   * Darkvision
   * Sealed
   * Fire-resistant
   * Padded

Utility : AV3 utility AMP
   * Metabolic boost
   * Improved adrenaline

Inventory
  energy cell (x73)
  rocket (x10)
  rocket (x5)
  12ga shell (x50)
  7.62 ammo (x100)
  .44 ammo (x24)
  9mm ammo (x100)
  9mm ammo (x2)
  gas grenade (x1)
  EMP grenade (x2)
  krak grenade (x3)
  frag grenade (x2)
  smoke grenade (x3)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

Damn that's a scary adventure!  Funny to note how the synergies worked against each other instead -- not sure if this was indeed intended.

As always, your scary wins are always awesome.

* thelaptop shudders
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: [1]