Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.8.7 - Released!  (Read 34357 times)

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
Re: DoomRL 0.9.8.7 - Released!
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 14:15 »

Imho it's not bad that our score.dat and player.dat are incomplatible. Remember, we are playing this game not for result and not for Major(Captain, General, choose any) rank, but for the game itself. So to get back out ranks, we need to complete all this challenges, but in new version. A good stimulation for us to play hard.))

Arena level type is EVIL. Kornel, congratulations, you surpassed yourself in evilness! I even haven't thought that you will create something like this as basic level. I lost very good marine in this level because in this version monsters fires at you outside YOUR LOS. I haven't fired at them, so they weren't retaliating!

Malek, i like backpack's placement!)) I always loved that place.)) It was always easy for me to clear it!))
Also, it is supposed that backpack isn't increasing amount of 10mm ammo?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 14:45 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 14:36 »

My stats were all right until I became Major. That's when they went Boom. Have you been captain all along the latest version?
Explain "boom", please.
"Boom" is the same thing that happened with the scores.

I don't know what you're talking about.
Did it delete the file, did it corrupt it? Did your monitor transform into a gateway to Deimos? :)

Imho it's not bad that our score.dat and player.dat are incomplatible. Remember, we are playing this game not for result and not for Major(Captain, General, choose any) rank, but for the game itself. So get back out ranks, we need to complete all this challenges, but in new version. A good stimulation for us to play hard.))

Yes and no. I personally tend to agree with you, and intend on restarting my player file right after I finish one game in UV (I don't feel like first reaching rank requirements for it :P ). But I'd like to know that if I want, I could anyway keep playing with my current details, at least if that's the way it's supposed to work.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 15:02 »

Malek, i like backpack's placement!)) I always loved that place.)) It was always easy for me to clear it!))
Not everybody is you... for me it was second time I cleared the wall I think (I usually skip it but those few times i tried it I died horribly...)

As for player.dat... meh, didn't notice anything but than again I'm stuck at Lieutenant Demon ^^"
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2007, 15:10 »

So to get back out ranks, we need to complete all this challenges, but in new version. A good stimulation for us to play hard.))
Play AoD again? .... :(
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 19:03 »

Lol first I time I encountered an Arena level, I was deep in Hell and playing a pure melee character. Talk about evil, I felt like one of those little demons(c) getting shot at by lots of big demons with plasma rifles and Int 3. Took a large medkit or two before I realised staying there was practically suicidal, the number of plasma bursts hitting me from outside of LOS. Suppose its the demons turn for some payback on us.

The AI is considerably smarter/less exploitable. Equivalent of pushing all difficulty levels up.

I too wonder what exactly happened to your Major player.dat?
Since I am currently a Captain and just AoMr away from Major, wanting to play an AoMr game, though I could still play and then save at level 25 and backup my player.dat.

Could it be related to your 255 mortems/games played, if thats what you had?

On the player page, mancubus is overlapping the word kills, but theres a space at the top above former human, so if all kills were shifted one row up, there would be no overlap. Probably someone else already noticed, just wondered about it. If revenants were added, Im not sure how overlap would be prevented.
XXX mancubus kills, thats gonna take some time :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 21:39 by Firstblood »

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007, 05:26 »

I, Thomas Parasiuk, am psychic!
How, you ask? Why, I just had a little thought of "I wonder how DoomRL production is going?"

Only to find THIS! =O

I might just download and play it now.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 06:17 »

So, whats with those modslots ? Rapid combat shotgun is not advanced enough ?
I gather i must find an actual "Advanced combat shotgun" or something ? Is there at least one guaranteed advanced weapon in the game ?

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2007, 06:29 »

So, whats with those modslots ? Rapid combat shotgun is not advanced enough ?
I gather i must find an actual "Advanced combat shotgun" or something ? Is there at least one guaranteed advanced weapon in the game ?
The Wall should still have an advanced RL, IMO. And AoMr gives you an advanced pistol. The Mortuary has 4 advanced weapons in it, but if you can get through to those then you're likely to already be well prepared and equipped.

Ok, so I want to get as much information on the rank bug as possible, right? So I start an entirely new 985 game, gaining corporal rank with ease after having myself killed on dlvl10. Then I move my new player.dat file into a 987 folder, and start playing there through the command line, to catch anything that might happen. This is where the party begins.

I start a AoMr game, which went mostly as easily as did the 985 ITYTD game, only I find a couple of mods which make my life quite easier. Great! I also happen upon one of those arena levels which just near wipe me out. Not great. Somehow, my phase device lands me just near the top right corner, where the stairs down are. So, I make it do dlvl10 and get myself killed again, to make everything go a little faster. That's when I discover I need to reach at least dlvl 15 to gain sergeant rank. Crap. Well, waybe I'll manage on AoB, right? Wrong. The first few(!) games end terribly, as I 1) descend into a room full of former foos, 2) get stuck on a level full of barrels and sergeants, 3) descend into a room full of lost souls, 4) escape a DIFFERENT room full of lost souls, just to end up in ANOTHER room full of lost souls, 5) descend into a room where the only door leads to a large room full of acid (where, of course, the other doors are very far away) and, finally, 6) open a door and find myself face to face with a demon, after everything was going fine for a change. Of course, I had also died more common deaths by imps and former foos, but amusingly enough they weren't nearly the majority. After many jinxed attempts I finally make it to dlvl5 (%#@*#!), and quickly kill myself before there's a blackout or something. Ok. Then, I start a casual, ITYTD game for dlvl15. If only I had been so lucky earlier: although I found my first RL only right after leaving the Wall unscathed, I also happened across an advanced CG, and I just love CGs. I load it with 2 of each damage and speed mods (of which I found way more than I could carry, and unfortunately I hadn't gone the Wizzkid path) and discover that this causes so much knockback and fires so rapidly the I was taking out HKs and cacos, not to mention demons, without letting them come a single step closer! Hell, most of them were killed some steps back! By the time I reached dlvl16 I decided I should just get killed so I can finish with my little research, but not before taking out an Arach and an AV (though not at the same time) at near point-blank range while taking minimal damage (the Arach actually never even reacted). Indeed, I died a happy camper, and it tells me I became a sergeant. Then - nothing happens. And I don't mean nothing worked - everything's working just the way it should! I leave the game, get back in, everything's fine. I don't think I tried starting a new game yet, but up to now, everything's working like a charm. So, unless I'm missing something integral, going from a 985 corporal to a 987 sergeant doesn't seem to crash the game. I am NOT going to check the other ranks in the near future, if ever :) If we want to investigate further, I suggest a group of our elite players each takes one rank to rise to in 987 with a 985 player.dat file at an already high enough rank. Unless, of course, someone really feels like doing the entire game on both 985 and 987 :P

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2007, 06:51 »

The Wall should still have an advanced RL, IMO.
That one is not guaranteed, because you have to have RL already to get it, and getting RL before Wall is somewhat unlikely.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2007, 06:56 »

Not if you're doing Hell's Arena and/or playing on a high(er) difflvl. Hell's Arena has one assured (if you can finish it, which isn't much of a problem on low difflvls) and higher difflvls give it a decent spawn rate even on the first few dlvls.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2007, 07:59 »

Imho it's not bad that our score.dat and player.dat are incomplatible. Remember, we are playing this game not for result and not for Major(Captain, General, choose any) rank, but for the game itself. So to get back out ranks, we need to complete all this challenges, but in new version. A good stimulation for us to play hard.))
It's those challenge modes. Those're the catch. I had tons of fun with Angels of Haste and Purity, and now I can't play with them anymore. Instead, I'll be forced to finish the game with AoB again, and while the particular challenge is tons of fun once I get the chainsaw, getting that far is, believe me, massive pain pain PAIN PAIN SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE GRWARFGH FGRARGHF BLRGAAAA!!!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2007, 08:13 »

It's those challenge modes. Those're the catch. I had tons of fun with Angels of Haste and Purity, and now I can't play with them anymore. Instead, I'll be forced to finish the game with AoB again, and while the particular challenge is tons of fun once I get the chainsaw, getting that far is, believe me, massive pain pain PAIN PAIN SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE GRWARFGH FGRARGHF BLRGAAAA!!!
It's a lot easier though -- there's a guaranteed knife on the first level (it should be on the stairs if no one picked it up).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2007, 08:18 »

I noticed, and it's a good thing indeed. But most of the monsters are easy enough to take down anyway if you get close enough. "If you get close enough" is the important part: It's nigh impossible with sergeants, at least without giftdropping, and even with that, you're gonna have to linger in their LoS for a couple of turns, as a sitting duck.

Edit: Also, boy I wish giftdropping worked on Imps.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:20 by Potman »

Jered Cain

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2007, 16:43 »

Hah!  Vindication is mine~!

... Seriously, folks, I'm just a big Doom nerd, that's why I did the sound thing.  Downloading, "fixing" the music, and ready to post more mortems.
Jered Cain didn't like it too rough.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2007, 18:24 »

One really nice thing about this version and giftdropping: You can leave a trail of gifts right up to a crucial corner and former foos follow it all the way.  Best way to handle giftdropping is to stick a gift on a door, then go two spaces away from the door perpendicularly (if the wall that contains your door is vertical, you go two spaces up or down; if horizontal, you go two spaces left or right).  If you do it right, you should be able to see the door without seeing anything beyond it, and only have to move one space to get in melee range.  Once you do this, just wait for the former foo to show up, then get in melee range and kill 'em.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All