Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [1.0.0|N!|Ma|Survivalist|YAVP]  (Read 4302 times)

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[1.0.0|N!|Ma|Survivalist|YAVP]
« on: September 27, 2021, 17:43 »

So my first full win on Nightmare. I used a Marine with the "Survivalist" master trait, which saved my butt exactly twice in the run. Ironman was really helpful, as the higher your total HP, the higher your HP's are restored on Survivalist.

A little luck here and there, mostly with the drops. Things really fell into place.

Having found "Avalanche," in the Containment area on Europa, this made a massive difference. It meant that I could carry no ammo, and could fill those slots up with medical items, and grenades. (Avalanche is a super special plasma gun.)I also found Duramesh scout armor, which is indestructible. Also very useful on a run like this. I had the CRI bio launcher also, which allowed me to deal with those pesky medusas. By shooting a medusa with a rocket that releases a ball of toxin cloud, it broke line of sight, as well as damaging the medusas, so I could just fire one or two of those into the medusa's path, and they would just get disoriented and die.

The cryoreaver's claw was great too. Between that slowing enemies with chill, and maxxed out hellrunner, I was able to avoid most of those run-ending "open-a-door-and-there-is-three-exalted-cryoreavers" scenarios. the Jackhammer was very useful midgame, but wasn't used at all once I hit Dante.

Anyway, a very pleasing win.  Perhaps not as hard as some challenges, but I am still pretty happy with it.

Thanks for a great roguelike. :)

gowq, level 17 Marine,
defeated the Harbinger against all odds.

He survived for 9566 turns.
The run time was 2h 53m 18s.
World seed was 1224.
He scored 9016 points.
He opposed the NIGHTMARE!

CALLISTO L2 - Infestation
CALLISTO L2 -> Mimir Habitat L1
Mimir Habitat L1 - Lockdown
Mimir Habitat L3 -> CalSec Central
CalSec Central - Cleared!
CALLISTO L6 - Low Power
EUROPA L2 -> Conamara Chaos Biolabs L1
Conamara Chaos Biolabs L1 - The Hunt
Conamara Chaos Biolabs L3 - Low Power
Conamara Chaos Biolabs L3 -> Containment Area
Containment Area - found Avalanche
Containment Area - Cleared!
IO L2 -> Shadow Halls L1
Shadow Halls L1 - Low Power
Shadow Halls L3 - Infestation
Shadow Halls L3 -> Dark Cathedral
Dante Station L3 - Exalted Summons

Awards
  CRI Star (bronze cluster) (+50)
   * 25+ kills without taking damage
  JoviSec Platinum Badge
   * Win any game on NIGHTMARE!

He killed 858 out of 1081 enemies.

40 former grunts           6  security sentries
 1  former CRI grunt        9  CalSec bots
 10 former soldiers         5  security bots
 25 corrupted soldiers      18 reavers
 3  former CRI soldiers     33 cryoreavers
 4  former sergeants        22 toxic reavers
 6  corrupted sergeants     68 archreavers
 1  former CRI sergeant     3  kerberi
 2  CRI sergeants           19 cyberi
 33 former guards           22 cryoberi
 7  former commandoes       8  toxiberi
 9  corrupted commandoes    21 medusae
 2  former CRI commandoes   8  archmedusae
 2  CRI commandoes          19 ravagers
 2  former heavies          22 armored ravagers
 1  CRI heavy               6  siege ravagers
 11 security drones         11 plasma ravagers
 2  military drones         18 CRI marines
 61 fiends                  13 CRI bots
 10 fire fiends             8  guardians
 15 ice fiends              5  sentinels
 11 toxic fiends            4  warlocks
 22 CalSec sentries         2  archwarlocks

Traits
  Skilled L2
  Ironman L2
  Hellrunner L3
  Tough as Nails L3
  Army Surplus L2
  Angry Motherlover L3
  SURVIVOR L1

Trait order
  Hr->Hr->Hr->Iro->Iro->TaN->AMf->MSV->
  AMf->Arm->Arm->TaN->TaN->AMf->Ski->Ski->

Equipment
  Slot #1 : CRI bio launcher
   * Epidemic

Slot #2 : Avalanche
  Slot #3 : 12ga jackhammer +
   * Auto-calibrating 68%
   * Barbed 3
   * Jackhammer

Body    : duramesh scout armor B
   * Fire-resistant
   * Duramesh

Head    :  - NONE -
  Utility : AV3 auto AMP
   * Auto target tracking
   * Auto booster

Relic   : cryoreaver's claw
   * Windchill

Inventory
  rocket (x1)
  12ga shell (x47)
  krak grenade (x3)
  CRI phase kit (x1)
  stimpack (x1)
  large medkit
  large medkit
  large medkit
  red keycard (x3)

[edit] sorry I don't remember how to post mortems properly, though I used to know. Don't remember at this point. :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 21:35 by thelaptop »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: [1.0.0|N!|Ma|Survivalist|YAVP]
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 21:37 »

[edit] sorry I don't remember how to post mortems properly, though I used to know. Don't remember at this point. :)

No worries!  I fixed it for you!  The trick was to use "mortem" tags.

Great win you've got there on N!.  I'm still glacially making my way to playing on N!... but it's tough given my playstyle and general inattentiveness.  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 05:37 »

Thanks thelaptop. Much appreciated for fixing my post and for the encouragement.

You mention inattentiveness. I go off on these trains of thought while playing and get myself killed regularly. Or else, I tend to be way too conservative with my health use. "Yeah I have 15 hp and 5 medikits, but I might need them later and I can dodge these guys shooting at me and wait until I find a health orb."

Nek minit...

"Dammit one of those zombie grunts shot me."

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 12:04 »

Hey, congrats on your win!  :D  I have yet to win a Nightmare game of the new version so far.  (Though that's partly because I've mostly been playing Apocalypse difficulty)  :P  I did face the Harbinger during Beta-testing, though, so I know he's pretty tough.  Rather curious that he doesn't show up in the list of enemies killed.  Is that a bug?  (Now that I look at my old beta-testing mortem, he didn't show up there either;  oops!)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 11:40 »

Wait... Apocalypse difficulty? What on the flat is that?

Thanks for the reply Torm, appreciated that someone of your skills would behold my humble attempts, which is 99%persistence and 1% talent. :)

I was lucky to get a unique (green( assault rifle, as well as indestructible armor, and with Survivalist I still died twice during the run. But hey, a win is a win. Hope you are well, and looking forward to whatever crazy tricks you figure out.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 16:21 »

Wait... Apocalypse difficulty? What on the flat is that?

It's the difficulty higher than Nightmare difficulty.  Are you saying it doesn't show up when you push "new game?"  I wonder if I accidentally did something to unlock it without realizing it.

Thanks for the reply Torm, appreciated that someone of your skills would behold my humble attempts, which is 99%persistence and 1% talent. :)

Coincidentally, my ratios are similar.  :P  Regardless, a Nightmare win is no small feat, so kudos.  :)

I was lucky to get a unique (green( assault rifle, as well as indestructible armor, and with Survivalist I still died twice during the run. But hey, a win is a win. Hope you are well, and looking forward to whatever crazy tricks you figure out.

I haven't played JH a whole lot lately, tbh, but maybe I can do a recording to get back into it or something.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 06:04 »

It's the difficulty higher than Nightmare difficulty.  Are you saying it doesn't show up when you push "new game?"  I wonder if I accidentally did something to unlock it without realizing it.

Yes there is definitely no Apocalypse difficulty on my games. I am going to guess that it unlocks when you get one or more diamond badges. Currently my highest badge is 'Gold' of which I have 2. How many diamond badges do you have? (Notice I didn't ask if you had any, rather the number haha.

Coincidentally, my ratios are similar.  :P  Regardless, a Nightmare win is no small feat, so kudos.  :)

Thank you. A little luck and persistence and at least a few good choices. (eg don't do the Military Base on Nightmare, it is a great way to get dead. And don't leave corpses between you and the exit if you can help it.)

I haven't played JH a whole lot lately, tbh, but maybe I can do a recording to get back into it or something.  :)

Totally cool. What else are you playing just out of interest? Cheers Torm, hope you are well and all that. :)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 00:19 »

(Whoops, I neglected to answer this)

How many diamond badges do you have? (Notice I didn't ask if you had any, rather the number haha.

I'm currently sitting at nine Diamond badges.  :)  I need six more to advance to the next rank, and that's seemingly unlikely, because they're all the toughest challenges, and the latest version ramped up the difficulty considerably.  :|

Totally cool. What else are you playing just out of interest? Cheers Torm, hope you are well and all that. :)

I play a lot of different things.

I've played a fair bit of "Subnautica," and its sequel, "Subnautica Below Zero," lately.  It's a survival/crafting game that takes place on an alien ocean planet.  In addition to having a well-balanced crafting system, it has a pretty vivid and gorgeous world that's sometimes awe-inspiring and sometimes terrifying.  :)  I think the original is better than the sequel, but there's enjoyment to be had in both.

I've also played a fair bit of "The Long Dark."  A survival/crafting game that takes place in the Canadian wilderness in a post-apocalyptic permanent winter.  The story mode is being released episodically, (the fourth episode of a planned five was released just a few days ago) and to be honest, I'm pretty underwhelmed...  but the non-story "survival mode" is pretty awesome.  :)

I also found myself picking up "Stardew Valley" again recently, after not having played it in four years.  (I witnessed Natalie Wynn of "Contrapoints" streaming it, and it gave me the urge to play it)  :)  It's ostensibly a farming simulator, but it's got a bit of everything, including mining, crafting, combat, fishing, and a social aspect where you interact with the townspeople.

I'm also playing through "Not Tonight."  Very similar to "Paper, Please," if you're familiar with that game.  Ostensibly, you're playing as a bouncer who has to decide who to let into a pub, or whatever, but it's got a story woven in there about a post-Brexit dystopia, where there's a conflict between Britain and the rest of Europe, and you're kind of getting dragged into it.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 10:19 »

Did... did you say nine Diamond badges?

Faaar out. Dude I have only two platinum badges, and zero Diamond badges. I find that Nightmare runs are pretty intense and require immense concentration. more so than on the ol' DRL. And while I was pretty decent on DRL I wasn't godlike. I was pretty proud of my one ever Angelic badge, for a NIghtmare Angel of Shotgunnery with 80% kills. But nine diamond badges? I think the game is much harder now too, (JHRL)  what with the medusas and the summoner enemies. (A few days ago I nearly finished an Angel of Carnage Nightmare run, but I messed up  and ran out of rockets towards the end. Dammit, I think I would have had it too.

Impressive on those Diamonds. Well done.

As to the games you mentioned, I am familiar with Subnautica and The Long Dark. Not that I have played them, but I have watched playthroughs of them on YT with a few of my favorite Lets Players. I know of Stardew Valley but have not played it. And the last one you mentioned, "NOt TOnight" sounds really interesting.

Thanks Torm, cheers. :)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 20:52 »

I think it's worth noting that all of my Diamond badges were acquired in earlier versions, when the game was much easier, so don't be intimidated by that number or anything.  Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if I should reset my badges, so I can re-acquire them more fairly.

As for Not Tonight, I'm going through it on my Youtube channel.  There's a playlist here.  I think the story and characters and writing are interesting, and I like the retro artstyle, plus the subject matter is a pretty ballsy choice in the current socio-political climate...  but I have some misgivings about the actual gameplay.  It mostly consists of studying people's IDs to decide whether or not to let them in, so I don't know how interesting it is to watch.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Cotonou

• Gold Supporter
  • Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 07:50 »

For me, Apocalypse difficulty popped up at 4 Diamond Badges.

CaptainSublime

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 19:24 »

A mere 4 Diamond badges, they said.

It'll be fun, they said.

haha I don't think I am seeing that difficulty anytime soon. Well done though. Damn I am not bad at this game, but I am not even close to that level.
Pages: [1]