Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 20:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Please don't delete/hide the save while the game is running  (Read 4448 times)

kitchen_ace

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

So I play JH on a minimum-spec, Intel HD laptop using Linux. Performance is pretty bad, but I knew it would be going in, so I don't have any complaints there.

Occasionally though, the game will lock up and I'll have to kill it. Sometimes this gives me the "Game Crashed!" dialog box, other times it doesn't. Again, no big deal, I can't be too surprised with this machine.

BUT, when I don't get the dialog box, it also means my save doesn't get preserved, so my run dies. This is pretty frustrating. I get that removing the save while the game is running is meant to discourage save-scumming etc., but it's not like it does that much to prevent it since a player can just save & quit and then copy the save. Meanwhile I feel like I *should* be backing up my game regularly to avoid losing it in case of a crash.

Unless there's a foolproof way of forcing JH to quit that will preserve the save, please avoid deleting the save while the game is running.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Please don't delete/hide the save while the game is running
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 10:12 »

There's a huge difference between

a) to savescum you need to prepare by saving the game, copying the save somewhere else, then to restore it you need to copy it back

-and-

b) anytime you wish to return to your old save, even if on a whim just force kill the game

The first one requires you to actively cheat, the second one is a very easy temptation to give into.

That said, when replays are in, I'll add a "safe mode" option, that will constantly save the current replay. This will cost a bit CPU and disk usage, but will basically restore your progress no matter what (including power outages, driver crashes, system crashes, etc). No ETA on it yet, but hopefully this year.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

kitchen_ace

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 22:17 »

Hah, on that laptop just doing 'killall -9 jh' as long as the game was running normally would force-kill it and keep a save for the start of the level :p Doesn't seem to work now that I've upgraded to a properly-specced computer.

Anyhow I will appreciate the option for a safe mode, I know you're a busy guy and it'll be ready when it's ready. Thanks!

BTW is this the best place to post about these kinds of issues, or would you prefer steam/reddit/something else?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 22:21 by kitchen_ace »

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 08:40 »

BTW is this the best place to post about these kinds of issues, or would you prefer steam/reddit/something else?
I think most tend to get reported to the game's discord. https://discord.gg/JupiterHell
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2
Pages: [1]