Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|ArchAoHu|18%|YAVP] Everyman Angelic Badge  (Read 2838 times)

Icy

• Second Lieutenant
  • First-try Veteran Angelic Badge
    • View Profile
[N!|ArchAoHu|18%|YAVP] Everyman Angelic Badge
« on: November 11, 2022, 18:18 »

Let's fucking go!!! I am now the second player in Ontario to achieve Everyman Angelic Badge.

Through theorycrafting about this badge in my research and learning more about the challenge with real attempts, I am convinced that Scout->Intuition is the best build by a large gap. Getting through Deimos and especially Hell are highly dependent on Invulnerabilities, and to a lesser extent, Berserk Packs. There's just no way to fight back with basically no health, no traits, no real equipment, etc. You just have to run to the stairs, and Invulnerability is the key. Hellrunner is definitely the second best build, and then by a large gap Finesse and Reloader are in the next tier, but I highly recommend to anyone else attempting this to use Intuition.

Phobos Base Entry is pretty trivial, but can get a bit tedious and annoying since it takes 3-5 minutes and your run often doesn't pan out long after that. Ensuring you exit it with high health and ideally some extra Small Med Packs is nice and I would let myself get killed if I wasn't happy with the start. Floor 2 isn't too bad, but immediately entering floor 3 are Hell Knights, which you have to push through until you get to The Chained Court. Intuition is actually quite handy beyond just finding Invulnerabilities as knowing where Berserk Packs is very helpful for speed and resistances, and Health Globes are functionally like Soulspheres.

Floor 7 ideally offers Invulnerability near the stairs, but Phobos Anomaly is totally doable with just Berserk. After that, it really comes down to starting near stairs, stacking Invulnerabilities, and not getting overwhelmed by enemies.

Onto this particular run, I had a standard start and nothing too interesting came up all the way to Deimos 7, although being Invulnerable at that point was nice. Before this, I've had 2 runs to and past Tower of Babel, and 3 other runs to Deimos 7.

Deimos 7 had extremely good fortune for me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was even better too with a Homing Phase Device! But I was pretty concerned about the enemies in there, but I figured I could get at least one Invulnerability.

Luckily, the Homing Phase Device survived the attacks and I was able to grab it. I even was able to get the other Invulnerability too, giving me a really strong setup!

Tower of Babel was also nice as the Cyberdemon was close by, saving many turns of Berserk and Invulnerability, although I got shot back a few times due to the direct diagonal angel.

Hell 1 was a solid start, definitely above average.

Turned out it was excellent!

Hell 2 sucked, but given that I had 2 Homing Phase Devices, I could skip it and hoped that there wouldn't be any nasty floors ahead.

Hell 3 was very good for an arena.

Hell 4 was also great. At this point, I was realizing that this could be it!

Hell 5 presented me a very difficult call. This floor was a bit below average, nothing atrocious, so I was very split on whether to use my other Homing Phase Device or not, but after taking a moment, I decided to go for it.

Hell 6 was insanely good and at this point barring extremely bad luck, I was ready to win!!!

And Hell 7 completely sealed the deal!!!

I was getting a touch concerned trying to get down the stairs as I was getting pinballed around.

But eventually I got on them!

And time to hack away for an easy finish!

And got the lovely Everyman Angelic Badge!!!

And here's the mortem:

This is now my 4th life-time Angelic Badge, and 3rd on this save file (I haven't regained Veteran Angelic Badge yet), and I'm extremely pumped to get it. The game itself was extremely lucky, but that's pretty much what you need to beat it. All that said though, I do thing the difficulty of this badge is a bit overrated. It's very, very hard, but I have no doubt that many other players can achieve this if they buckle down and grind out the games. Intuition is the way to go and getting past Phobos Anomaly is not exceptionally difficult. From there, it's all about getting enough games until you get a massive stack of Invulernabilities.

Let's go!
v0.9.9.7G: [43|26/26/26/24/21/4]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: [N!|ArchAoHu|18%|YAVP] Everyman Angelic Badge
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 19:07 »

Hey, big congratulations to you, Icy!  :D  This must be very exciting!  :)  (Also, you're from Ontario too?  I don't think I knew that!)  :)

At first, I was skeptical about the viability of an intuition build for this challenge, but looking again, I realize that this is a case where playing with the graphics version of DRL has a massive advantage over playing the console version, as I did.  In the console version, all powerups look identical when you're berserk, or invulnerable, or even if you use a radiation suit, and you can't tell what they actually are unless you have line of sight with them...  but in graphics mode, you instantly know what all powerups on the whole level are as soon as you enter the level.  This hypothetically makes it a snap to zero in on every invulnerability sphere you find to chain them together.

Still, as you say, this does require a fair bit of skill, experience, and luck, (not to mention patience)  :)  so kudos on your victory!  :D
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos
Pages: [1]