Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Doom: Semper Fidelis  (Read 14816 times)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
Doom: Semper Fidelis
« on: May 03, 2007, 23:51 »

I came across this interesting solo game a while ago. I like the system it's simple and different. Kinda an abstract paper and pencil game. It's based on Doom by Id. I just wanted to share it with others who may not have seen it yet. I'm thinking of expanding on the idea a little to make the game better like making combat different and incorporate more monsters and give the player a few better more meaningful choices.

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/Doom_Semper_Fidelis.pdf

-Legend
-Legend

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
Re: Doom: Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:12 »

I'm going to take a look at it..
http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.

ssfsx17

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 13:05 »

It's simple enough that you could totally calculate out everything and "solve" the game mathematically. That hurts a lot of the potential for fun.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 20:07 »

I don't really think that it could be "solved" without even playing. It's mainly a game of resource management. I think it's pretty fun. I do think that there could be a few changes though. Like actually discovering the weapons and having ammo instead of starting with everything. I couple of the rooms are bland and unbalanced like the first key room. It makes it really hard to keep body count up. Also two of the action choices are exactly the same. There should be a better difference between the two. Did you play the game or just look at the rules? I think it's an interesting game mechanic.

-Legend
-Legend

ssfsx17

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 01:32 »

I looked at the rules and saw that at any given moment, there are only six things that could possibly happen to you.

This means that the game can be solved using a little probability theory.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 16:16 »

Hmm, if you get a Horrorific scene, or Hazard area do you still choose an normal action?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 23:37 »

Hmm, if you get a Horrorific scene, or Hazard area do you still choose an normal action?
I don't when I play. Like I said, I think it's a pretty cool game but needs a few improvements and maybe a few other choices and different events. I would also like to see a combat system worked in so the player can actually encounter the different monsters in the game and fight them with weapons and ammo found through searching or luck. I'm thinking of remaking this after I finish one of my other game projects I'm working on now. I make board and card games. What would you guys like to see in a remake of this game?
-Legend

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 05:39 »

What board and card games?

What would you guys like to see in a remake of this game?
Mostly what you said. "Barrels" room trait'd be nice. And a possibility to spend RL ammo searching for hidden rooms :)

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 12:48 »

I make card and board games. Free print and play kind. Here's a link to one of my card games called Shrine. http://www.pagat.com/invented/shrine.html
I have a few others that are complete but this is the only one hosted on a site right now. I could email my other games to anyone interested.
Mostly what you said. "Barrels" room trait'd be nice. And a possibility to spend RL ammo searching for hidden rooms :)
Are you referring to a remake of DoomRL? I'm talking about remaking Doom: Semper Fidelis. If not, I'm not sure what you mean by "Barrels" trait and "spending RL ammo searching for hidden rooms."

-Legend
-Legend

ssfsx17

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 21:51 »

Hmm... it could be like a kind of Doom/Space Hulk game, but unlike the published one, the rooms and encounters would be determined randomly.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 04:56 »

Are you referring to a remake of DoomRL? I'm talking about remaking Doom: Semper Fidelis. If not, I'm not sure what you mean by "Barrels" trait and "spending RL ammo searching for hidden rooms."
No, not DoomRL. Although barrels in the original Doom were much less "dramatic" than they are in DoomRL, they're still somewhat of a hallmark of the game, IMO, and would be a nice addition. Consider a cost in Time if you decide to be careful and strategically detonate them ("when the monsters get close"), as opposed to a cost in Health if you decide to rush the room, blowing everything up quickly and taking some damage from the barrels in the process. Of course, the benefit in each case would be the opposite, i.e. in Health and Time respectively. Use of certain weapons might alter results, considering the melee chainsaw and the anyway-all-destroying BFG.

Regarding RL ammo, this probably better fits Duke Nukem. I'm talking about secret rooms which require a certain spot being hit to uncover. This could also be chained to the barrels, where you must first spend Time to avoid hitting barrels while killing the monsters, and then spend Time and/or ammo pushing barrels up against the walls/into slots/who knows what and then possibly shooting them.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 17:35 »

What type of situations/scenes would you guys like to see in a remake of doom semper fidelis? Also, should it be kept using six sided dice, or possible use a 12 or 20 sided dice to be able to fit more scenes in the game? What other kinds of actions would you like to see in this game? WHich scenes or actions already in the game should be taken out completely? I already have my own ideas about some of these, but would like to get other opinions. Thanks.

-Legend
-Legend

Yuusha

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 09:19 »

Instead of having to get a 12-sided die, you could just use two 6-sided ones.

PS:I too like making card and boardgames, I haven't put them anywhere on the internet but I usually make rules and stuff for them using paper
^
      I
0==I :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
      I        ^

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 10:26 »

Instead of having to get a 12-sided die, you could just use two 6-sided ones.

PS:I too like making card and boardgames, I haven't put them anywhere on the internet but I usually make rules and stuff for them using paper

There's a big difference in a 12-sided die and two 6-sided ones. Because with a 12-sided die, each number has equal probability (1/12), but throwing 2d6, the most common result is 7, and 2 and 12 are really rare (1/36) and you can't get 1 with 2d6 at all.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 12:20 »

2 six sided dice could be used in a different way though to produce 36 different outcomes with the same probability. There's a specific name used to describe this method but I forget what it is at the moment. Best when used with two different color or size d6. Instead of adding the two dice together, you treat it as 2 separate rolls. 1, 2. would be seen as 12 instead of 3. 3, 6 would be seen as 36 instead of 9. The only thing is that it makes for some odd tables. The top table number would actually be 66 but there are only 36 possible outcomes.

-Legend
-Legend

arch_8ngel

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 20:30 »

Games Workshop used to use that technique in their older games (Warhammer Quest, and Warhammer Role-play).
They referred to it as D66 and it was usually associated with large sets of tabulated outcomes.  Stuff like randome encounters or events.

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 14:33 »

I figure I can use the d66 mechanic to eliminate the need for polyhedral dice. But, I feel 36 different situations/events may be a bit much. I was thinking I could cut it down to either 12 or 18 events with an equal chance of rolling. What do you guys think? 12, 18, or 36 events?
     I could also make 20 or 25 but some events would occur more frequently than others. Do you guys prefer the equal probability of using 12, 18, or 36? Or do you prefer that some events may occur more than others by using 20 to 30 event? Please give me your opinions.
     I'm also looking for ideas for events and situations that could occur in the Doom world. Traps and such. Thanks for any input.

-Legend
-Legend

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 10:47 »

I figure I can use the d66 mechanic to eliminate the need for polyhedral dice. But, I feel 36 different situations/events may be a bit much. I was thinking I could cut it down to either 12 or 18 events with an equal chance of rolling. What do you guys think? 12, 18, or 36 events?
     I could also make 20 or 25 but some events would occur more frequently than others. Do you guys prefer the equal probability of using 12, 18, or 36? Or do you prefer that some events may occur more than others by using 20 to 30 event? Please give me your opinions.
     I'm also looking for ideas for events and situations that could occur in the Doom world. Traps and such. Thanks for any input.

-Legend

I'd reserve judgement on the number of events you want to have until you have some events to pick from.

And on that note, here are a few!

Oh Sh-: You step on to a particular space and a trap is activated. The trap causes several of the walls in a room to slide down into the floor, revealing a horde of monsters! (Classic Doom Trap)

HOT HOT HOT: A lever pulling trap. The room fills with Acid/Lava. (Another classic trap.)

Uh... I'll think of more later...
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?
Pages: 1 2 [All]