Chaosforge Forum

• September 14, 2024, 16:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL 0.9.9.8 BETA 5  (Read 6887 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
DoomRL 0.9.9.8 BETA 5
« on: June 13, 2024, 08:10 »

Beta 5 is up!

This one's mostly for the graphics version players - the spritesheet has been updated, there's a ton of new visual stuff coming later, but now I need to make sure that all the internal graphics changes are working. Although do test on ASCII if you usually play there to make sure I didn't break it! Neeeeed feeeeedback! (especially that there was barely any towards the previous beta, so help out here!).

I invite all to participate on the Discord channel, and also we will be more and more moving feature discussions and info into the GitHub issues tracker. Remember all work is being done on the development branch!

Feedback on the changes needed, be it here on the discord in #doomrl!

Raw changelog below, comments, reports and requests welcome!

DoomRL 0.9.9.8 BETA 5 Windows LQ

If you're not on Windows, you can always compile the development branch from github - find me on discord if you need help with that!

Code: [Select]
0.9.9.8 BETA 5
[new] -- GH#120: G-version - sprites updated!
[new] -- GH#120: G-version - animations for idle and for doors!
[new] -- GH#083: G-version - overlay FX done by shaders, less in your face!
[new] -- GH#120: G-version - better wall tile flow and style handling!
[new] -- GH#121: G-version - debris where destroyed walls were!
[new] -- GH#126: added an ammo dispensing lever to the lever pool
[new] -- GH#126: enemies left count and level feel info in character screen
[new] -- GH#126: last 3 enemies are revealed unless boss or special level
[new] -- GH#126: items are revealed on clear unless boss or special level
[mod] -- GH#126: "running" status name fades in the last 5 moves left
[mod] -- GH#126: added special level feeling for agony and lava elemental caves
[mod] -- GH#115: Mjollnir can appear from level 5 and has 1d25 damage
[mod] -- GH#115: double chainsaw now 4d12 acc -1 (was 8d6 acc -2)
[mod] -- GH#115: thrown knife & Mjol benefit from both ranged and melee tohit/todam
[mod] -- GH#115: Subtle Knife - invoke 10->15 damage, 5 hp drain, no maxhp drain
[mod] -- GH#126: all medals with "Badge" in name changed to "Pin"
[mod] -- GH#126: clarified "everything" to "only" in medal kill requirements
[mod] -- GH#126: adjusted Iron Skull and Gambler's Shield values
[fix] -- GH#115: expiring messages for affects appear again
[fix] -- GH#115: unexpirable affects will no longer expire after a long time   
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL 0.9.9.8 BETA 5
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 23:49 »

Here is my organized bug report post for this beta after doing a few runs:

BUG #1

When starting up the game, I often get an error message on bootup saying DoomRL crashed because of "File not open", though despite this and being listed as a "fatal exception", the game still continues on as normal without any apparent issues once I hit enter or click OK in the message box. Maybe it's related to me customizing config/keybindings/music/sounds? Though I never seen this error in prior betas. Here is the error code for it:

Timestamp   : 6/14/2024 0:03:31
Error level : FATAL EXCEPTION
Message     : Fatal exception encountered

An unhandled exception occurred at $00000001000322E6 :
EInOutError : File not open
  $00000001000322E6  FLUSH,  line 390 of ../fpcvalkyrie/src/vlog.pas
  $00000001000020A8  main,  line 115 of src/doomrl.pas
  $0000000100002306
  $0000000100017C00
  $0000000100001BB4
  $00007FFA2EAC7344
  $00007FFA2F2626B1

BUG #2

Scavenger is supposed to be able to dissemble melee weapons, armors, and boots now. Dissembling melee weapons works as it's supposed to, however I could not dissemble armors and boots, whether modded, assembled, exotic, and unique (with the weird exception of only Tactical Boots and Tactical Armor being able to be dissembled). Even those with guaranteed mod drops added didn't work, as I found a Shielded Armor (which is supposed to give a guaranteed Onyx mod) and could not dissemble it.

Now I haven't tested every single armor and boots, so here is an exact list of what I have tested and been unable to dissemble: modded Blue Armor, modded Red Armor, Fireproof Armor, Ballistic Armor, Bullet-proof Vest, Phaseshift Armor, Medical Armor, Gothic Armor, Ballistic Shield, Plasma Shield, Shielded Armor, Medical Powerarmor, modded Steel Boots, Environmental Boots, Acid-proof Boots, and Phaseshift Boots.

BUG #3

The pesky error message that pops up sometimes when a Former out of your vision kills themself with a barrel or is killed by another enemy's explosion still occurs. The error code again:

Timestamp   : 6/27/2024 20:54:05
Error level : ERROR
Message     : Lua hook OnAttacked caught ELuaStateException!

Call path     : beings[soldier].OnAttacked
Call params   : (<object>,<object>)
Error message : Lua error : attempt to call a table value

BUG #4

On the info screen, the level feel information can go beyond the screen, where you're then unable to view all of it. Perhaps the screen can be made scrollable when this happens? Here's a screenshot of an example:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXVF6hWUAAqAOv?format=jpg&name=large

BUG #5

Technical mods increasing the resistances of armors and boots is working as intended. However with assemblies that use Technical mods, if you apply a Technical mod before completing the assembly, the boosted resistances will carry over to the resulting assembly, making them more powerful than intended. For example with Fireproof Armor, if you apply the Technical mod first and then the Bulk mod to complete it, the resulting Fireproof armor will overall give +40% fire resistance, +10% plasma and acid resistances, +20% bullet and shrapnel resistances, and only -10% melee resistance, as demonstrated in this screenshot:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXXa19XcAA-u6N?format=jpg&name=large

Interestingly this will not override any set resistances of the assembly however, so with Cerberus Armor, you get +20% physical resistances, while the energy resistances are still set 70% to fire/acid and 50% plasma, as you can see in this screenshot:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXYgUkWUAEytef?format=jpg&name=large

Also Technical mods add +20% physical resistances and +10% plasma resistance to boots, despite those added resistances doing absolutely nothing (unless there are plans to add a new fluid or other damaging floor that utilizes one of those types). I think Technical mods on boots should be reverted back to increasing knockback resistance, as while you would rarely actually use Technical mods for that purpose, increasing resistances on boots have more limited practicality since there are only two relevant damage types and both fluids deal set damage, whereas extra knockback resistance is a unique utility that you may occasionally want on some boots. If we keep Technical mods increasing the damage resistances of boots, then it should be changed so that Technical mods don't add worthless physical and plasma resistances to boots, while giving them +20% acid and fire resistances instead (ensuring that a Technical mod will result in the boots always sustaining 1 less damage from acid and 2 less damage from lava regardless of the boots' inherent resistances, assuming the boots didn't already reduce damage to 1 or 0).

BUG #6

The accuracy bonus to melee attacks from Brute is supposed to now increase the accuracy of thrown Combat Knives (and Mjollnirs) accordingly, yet in an AoB run I did, thrown knives were still seeming to miss as often as always even at point blank range. Here's a screenshot showing an unhurt Baron with three Combat Knives around him, where I missed three throws in a row at point blank range, despite me having Brute 3 and thus my accuracy should have been 98%, as shown in the second screenshot:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXba0_WcAAyrm5?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXbcrZWoAAtqnU?format=jpg&name=large

BUG #7

The bug I reported in the beta 3 thread of damage from high knockback explosive attacks not applying appropriately on direct hits still persists, but I got some screenshots this time demonstrating it. Here in the first screenshot you can see an Archvile targeting me while I stand still to get hit directly by it in Phaseshift Armor:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXeB_Na0AEEWst?format=jpg&name=large

Then in this second screenshot you can see me having been hit by the Archvile's attack, yet I took no damage at all due to the Phaseshift Armor's increased knockback knocking me out of the attack's explosion radius:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXeEIEWUAAU03e?format=jpg&name=large

BUG #8

Maybe doesn't technically qualify as a bug, but still an annoying issue, as when you initiate a rocket jump, the targeting tile will go to an enemy, instead of a tile next to you. Rocket jumping doesn't work if you don't target an adjacent tile (as the game will simply cancel the action if you don't do so), making it more inconvenient to rocket jump around enemies as you'll need to move the cursor back from an enemy to an adjacent tile every time, especially so as you must use the keyboard to slowly move the cursor back to an adjacent tile (using the mouse will cancel when trying to alt-fire).

BUG #9?

Ammo levers are working as intended, spawning an ammo stack pickup for the weapon you have equipped. However the spawned ammo stack is not affected by the difficulty multiplier, not sure if this is a bug but reporting it in case it isn't and is something that can be fixed.

BUG #10

Not a serious bug, but if you try to use the open or close door command when not next to a door, you'll get these garbled messages:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXfLJeWIAAoOkp?format=jpg&name=large

In case you've been unable to open these screenshots, the message states: "There's nLimitRangeo door you can open/close here"

NOT A BUG BUT STILL A SERIOUS ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED ASAP

The powerup overlay colors were adjusted to be less harsh to the eyes and to make things easier to see ingame. The berserk and envirosuit overlays were definitely improved in this regard (notably you can actually see the Intution enemy Xs now), however the new invulnerability overlay is straightup unbearable, with it not only being very difficult to see what's in the level, but most egregiously you can't see most of the text in your infobar. Here are two screenshots demonstrating it:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXf8MBbMAAZwLz?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXf9PiWoAA7GwW?format=jpg&name=large

Whether it's just reverting back to the old invulnerability overlay or doing something new (such as maybe the sepia coloring that sometimes get used in Doom wads for a more viewable invulnerability overlay), something needs to be done here. Regardless though, I would still like the optional toggle to turn off these powerup overlays altogether that was proposed in the requested changes thread.

HOUSE OF PAIN DIFFICULTY ADJUSTMENTS
I've tested out House Of Pain, including say no to the "House Master" asking me if I want to enter at the beginning, and using the Arena Master Staff at the start and end of the level. The good news is the level works as intended, with me not encountering any bugs with any of the level's scripting, with the exception of the doors in the first room being destroyable (as seen in this screenshot https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRXypv0WgAAIJhe?format=jpg&name=large). The enemy loadout on each difficulty could be better balanced though, so here are my suggestions to the enemy changes on each difficulty, keeping the seeming intention in mind of this level being a more difficult alternative to The Vaults that doesn't essentially require the Arena Master's Staff (but having and using makes the level easier):

Hey Not Too Rough
First room: Keep as is (so 10 Pinkies, 4 Arachnotrons)
Second room: Change it to 4 Cacodemons, 4 Hell Knights (only six enemies makes this room feel rather empty, and a couple extra Hell Knights isn't making this room that much more difficult)
Third room: Keep as is (so 2 Mancubi, 2 Revenants)
Final battle: Change it to 2 Archviles (even for HNTR a single Archvile is underwhelming as a "boss" this far into the game)

Hurt Me Plenty
First room: Change it to 6 Pinkies, 8 Arachnotrons
Second room: Change it to 4 Cacodemons, 4 Barons
Third room: Change it to 3 Mancubi, 3 Revenants, 1 Archvile (adding an extra Mancubus and Revenant, because I don't think just a single Archvile adds all that much to the difficulty of this room)
Final battle: Change it to 1 Nightmare Archvile (two of them is crazy for HMP, and seems to be a clear mistake when it's the only difficulty with two of them here)

Ultra Violence
First room: Change it to 6 Nightmare Demons, 8 Arachnotrons (we dealt with Nightmare Demons back in Phobos Lab that appeared 10 dlevels + 4 special levels ago, having regular Pinkies here on UV is pretty laughable if you're not playing AoOC)
Second room: Change it to 4 Nightmare Cacodemons, 4 Barons (current UV with only two of each makes this room feel really empty)
Third room: Change it to 4 Mancubi, 4 Revenants, 2 Archviles (doubling up the Revenants and Archviles compared to current UV, because just doubling the Mancubi is weird and didn't add much to the difficulty)
Final battle: Change it to 2 Nightmare Archviles (a double Nightmare Archvile fight feels much more appropriate for UV)

Nightmare!
First room: Change it to 6 Nightmare Demons, 4 Arachnotrons, 4 Nightmare Arachnotrons (so just replacing the Pinkies with their Nightmare versions compared to current N!, thought about changing all the Arachnotrons too but 8 Nightmare Arachnotrons in a rather open room could be too crazy even for N!)
Second room: Change it to 6 Nightmare Cacodemons, 6 Barons (this room is now getting crowded with beefy enemies, definitely would appreciate the Arena Master Staff here to retreat to the first room for more space)
Third room: Change it to 6 Mancubi, 6 Revenants, 3 Archviles? (I can't parse the source code data on the exact enemy counts for this room, so I'm not sure what current N! looks like, but this should be an appropriate climb from UV)
Final battle: Change it to 2 Nightmare Archviles + some assortment of Nightmare enemies and Barons that will steal the prize armors (instead of simply upping the number of Nightmare Archviles, we keep it at 2, but also spawn some buddies alongside them so they'll have help even after you destroyed all the corpses beforehand, unsure what exactly to have though)

I've also thought about removing some or all of the health globes on UV and N!, but perhaps we'll want to test with the changed enemy loadouts first before removing the resources. Also keeping them does give incentive to use the Staff here, which you want to give an appropriate reward for carrying the Staff to here (as it'll give you access to retreat back to them if a room gets gnarly).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 23:00 by Omega Tyrant »
Badges - [26|26|26|17|5|0]
Medals - 35/43

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 21:09 »

BUG #11

I think the Dragonslayer's berserk effect was changed to be actually permanent, but it turns out to have been the reverse; I picked it up with the aid of a Hatred Skull and the berserk ran out only about a dozen actions after.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRsSM5sWQAEIlmn?format=jpg&name=large
Medals - 35/43

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 22:58 »

Not a bug, but if you fulfill the conditions to meet the Apostle at the end of A100/666, since everything dies as you enter the floor and then the Apostle spawns in, the ability to see all enemies activates and stays active even after more than three enemies are revived/spawned. Given this mechanic is supposed to not work during boss levels, it should probably not be active during the Apostle fight (and indeed it does take out what little tension there already is in this fight when you can immediately see where the Apostle is at all times). Here's a screenshot showing how enemies are visible outside my vision in this fight despite there being more than three active:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GSBTE77XQAA_XV7?format=jpg&name=large

Also a nitpick, but at the end of a successful A666 mortem, it says you "finally completed 100 levels of torture", not 666:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GSBOpDMbcAArmPk?format=png&name=large
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 23:00 by Omega Tyrant »
Medals - 35/43
Pages: [1]