Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 05:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Am I missing something with SoaB?  (Read 2475 times)

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Am I missing something with SoaB?
« on: May 04, 2007, 16:29 »

I keep hearing everyone say that this skill is useless, but if the information in the description and the wiki are true, it seems to me to be an extremely good skill for it's effects on the Chaingun and Plasma Rifle. With Chaingun, you get +5 armor piercing damage per attack per level, or +15 armor piercing damage per attack. Chaingun normally gets an average of just 17.5 damage per attack of NON-piercing damage, meaning that against unarmored monsters SoaB nearly doubles the damage of the chaingun- and against armored monsters it more than doubles it.

The effeect on the Plasma Rifle are even more insane, giving +8 armor piercing damage per level per attack, with +24 piercing damage. This brings the damage of the Plasma rifle from ~36 damage per attack to ~60 damage per attack- meaning that you now have a good chance of taking out high-level monsters with a single shot! Moreover, piercing damage is more important in the later stages where plasma rifles would be used then in stages where one would be using chainguns. And imagine what an overloaded plasma rifle would do- +120 armor piercing damage! So much for the cyberdemon.

If figured I must be doing something wrong, but I tried a game with SoaB and my chaingun and PR were much more effective than usual. Thoughts?

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Am I missing something with SoaB?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 16:44 »

Do you know how many shots it took to kill things with CG/PR and SoaB level 3?
If you have this information can you send it to me?

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 16:47 »

No I don't, I'm a casual player so keeping notes didn't even cross my mind.

I'll try it again once I try out all the new stuff (I did the SoaB stuff right before the new update)

Firstblood

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 17:06 »

No problem, I just interested to know how you felt it was better than usual. I tend to trust in statistics more when I feel uncertain about something.

With SoaB 3, do you recall killing Demons and Commandos with 1 CG burst?
if SoaB 3 is working properly, this should be the norm.

Cacodemons, Pain Elementals and Hell Knights should die in 2 CG bursts, as normal.

AV's, BoHs, A's should die in 3 CG bursts.

I'm pretty sure in my run with a SoaB 3, that Cacodemons still took 3-4 CG bursts, and demons took 2 CG bursts. Unless I was having bad luck or bad accuracy, as I haven't had time to test it much. I did try to take EE levels as well though.

I won't talk of the plasma rifle, as it deals damage differently to a chaingun, and is hard to say how
many plasma bursts it should take to kill enemies.
Pages: [1]