Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Directional-specific run keys  (Read 1797 times)

Picklish

• Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
Directional-specific run keys
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:11 »

One of the things that I miss about other roguelikes' control schemes in DoomRL is to have directional-specific run keys.  In other words, currently, if I want to run left, I have to hit the run key and then left.  If I'm trying to find the last monster on the level, but I want to run so I'll stop when I see him, it becomes frustating to have to hit the run key so much.

Maybe it doesn't make sense for arrow key users, but for vi-style hjklyubn users like me, having an alternate set of "run in this direction" keys like HJKLYUBN (where you can just hold down the shift key) would be really useful.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Directional-specific run keys
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 15:08 »

For me, running has only two potential uses: At the beginning of the game (where I need to know if those blasted humans are coming out of the base and stealing my medkits), and after everything's dead on a level.  The first case is rare enough that I don't mind needing to press the comma key before running, and in the second case the only bad thing holding down a key might result in (as opposed to running) is running over acid or lava, which if I'm likely to do will result in me taking individual steps anyway.  With enemies around, individual steps just plain feel safer, and without, unless there's dangerous terrain I feel very free to hold down the keys even if it means spending extra turns bumping into walls.  This is just me giving my two smallest units of monetary denomination, though; I think this would be a good addition.  Perhaps a simple Shift combination would suffice.
Pages: [1]