Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 12:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New artifacts  (Read 4314 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
New artifacts
« on: May 06, 2007, 06:11 »

Got some ideas. Will share them here. Feel free to share yours if ya got any. All these items would only be found once during the game, from some special levels.

---Armor---

Power armor:
- Armor: 5
- +20% to firing speed
- +5 chance to hit
- +2 to ranged damage
- +20% to movement speed (i.e. 20% slower)
- Immunity to berserk

Spirit armor:
- Armor: 4
- Will be merged with your body: Meaning that it's always on, and can't be taken away.
- Its effectiviness is inversely proportional with your hit points: The less HP, in better condition the armor. On max HP, it's armor value is 1, on 50% or less, it's 2, and on 25% or less, 4.
- Is compatible with other armor.

Cursed armor:
- Armor: 7
- +5 to melee damage
- 5% chance to go berserk on each melee attack (works together with Berserker)
- Each time the player takes damage, there's a 10% chance that he will be immobilized for several turns, and can't move or do anything else. This effect will be negated if the player's wielding
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---Weapons---

Straight Silver:
- Type: Combat Knife
- +4 to melee damage
- -50% to attack speed
- -40% to movement speed
- Gives +1 to Inituition
(Can anyone guess the reference?)

Excalibur:
- Type: Sword
- Damage: 1d8 + 1d10 + 1d12 / 3-30
- -20% to attack speed
- -30% to movement speed
- Enemies will always know the location of the player (i.e. they have Inituition x3)

Demon Flare:
- Type: Plasma rifle
- Fits 50/50 plasma shots
- Fires 10 shots per round instead of normal 8
- +2 to damage
- +10% to attack speed
- +1 to vision range
- -2 to armor

---

So, that's it, for now. Comments?

Psion

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: New artifacts
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:15 »

Most of those aren't very doom-ish and they'd throw off the balance.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:30 »

Mostly agreed with Psion.

But I do think "Spirit Armor"'d make an excellent adrenaline rush-type trait. But, since with TaN there isn't much room for a trait of this sort, I think this presents an interesting challenge, one where you can't use armor or take levels of TaN, but where your AC, melee damage and reactions (i.e. energy costs for all actions) improve with the fewer HPs you have. All bonuses are calculated on the begining and end of the player's round, making multiple attacks on the same round cause a healthy char full damage, regardless of how much health each one reduces. The way I see it, some people'd either use medkits frantically to keep themselves healthy as they take full damage from most sources, while others try keeping themselves as low on health as possible to keep challenge bonuses as high as they can, making small medkits necessary over large ones in the process.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:38 »

Actually I like the idea of the Spirit Armor as a way to make Angelic Armor more unique :D
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:00 »

Straight Silver:
- Type: Combat Knife
- +4 to melee damage
- -50% to attack speed
- -40% to movement speed
- Gives +1 to Inituition
(Can anyone guess the reference?)
Googled it and it seems to be reference to Gaunt's Ghosts... gaaaah, hate, hate, HATE (as an explanation: here in poland only First&Only, Ghostmaker and Necropolis got released and I managed to miss the last one... havn't had mony when it was available and it was gone when I checked recently)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 01:00 »

Googled it and it seems to be reference to Gaunt's Ghosts... gaaaah, hate, hate, HATE (as an explanation: here in poland only First&Only, Ghostmaker and Necropolis got released and I managed to miss the last one... havn't had mony when it was available and it was gone when I checked recently)
Lolz, I've got the first nine books. Gonna buy the last two the very second the last one comes out.

Also Straight Silver, as you should now know, is their very own special combat knife.

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:31 »

Power armor: not very exciting, but it could work without upsetting game balance.

Spirit Armor: nice idea. But it appears to behave more like a trait than an item, if it's to be compatible with other armor. If this were made into a trait, it could make armor class inversely proportional to the armor worn. This would affect game balance immensely though. I can also imagine it would be a pain to implement.

Cursed Armor: I think immobilizing the player is a very bad idea. I've always hated it in RLs that have it. With a 10%(!) chance of freezing for every hit taken, I'd never ever risk wearing it unless this effect is negated. Also the Berserk effect would have to exclude the normal 100% health boost normally received when going berserk.

Straight Silver: undoomish, and what's up with the 40% movement bonus? Can't imagine a knife that makes you move faster. Also, what would be the effect of the Int bonus if the player already has Int+3, or takes Int+3 while wielding the weapon? Int+3 is one of the most powerful traits as it is, so there's little need for Int+4. ;)

Excalibur: ridiculously undoomish. The movement speed bonus seems unjustified (same as for Straight Silver). Couldn't the damage be simply 3d10? Enemies being aware of the player has major effects on gameplay/balance and could be tricky to add if the code wasn't intended to deal with pathfinding.

Demon Flare: looks a lot like an advanced plasma rifle with a magazine mod and Cateye+1, but the "light radius" effect on vision range seems cool.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:29 »

Also Straight Silver, as you should now know, is their very own special combat knife.
Well the name didn't appear as such in the first two books - they were called just "silver knifes" - so either the translators screwed up, or the "proper" name comes in some books after that
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Unkillable Cat

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 06:57 »

What about the Megasphere from Doom II? Supercharges you AND repairs your armour to 100%.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 04:30 »

Yeah, that has been discussed before, what did happen with it?

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 04:39 »

It was left for next versions, i think. But i would like to see it ASAP because it would be really useful.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11
Pages: [1]