Chaosforge Forum

• May 23, 2024, 01:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The logic of Auto-Aim  (Read 2104 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
The logic of Auto-Aim
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:14 »

What is it? I can't find any kind of sense from it. Sometimes it picks the closest target, sometimes the farthest... In addition, it quite often picks the most harmless of targets - such as an imp from a bunch of cacodemons - or someone that I'd miss anyway - such as a demon partially covered by a wall. Maybe someone could clarify me this a bit?

Also, in the new Traits thread, someone asked with what logic would my suggested trait Spreadfire work. My answer: The same logic than the normal Auto-Aim.

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The logic of Auto-Aim
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:53 »

I don't recall how tab-aiming works, but I can imagine it's one of two ways.

1) Monsters are probably stored in a list. If you press tab, the program checks if the next monster in the list is visible (in LOS). If so, the monster is targeted; if not, the next monster is checked. The order of targeting would depend on the order of monsters in the list. As the list is probably unordered, the selection appears random.

2) The program checks an LOS vector in a specific direction for presence of monsters. If a monster is located, it is targeted. If no monster is located, the vector is rotated. This is repeated until a 360 degree circle has been checked. Target selection in this case is clockwise or ccw. This method would be tedious though.

Are you suggesting auto-aim should be smarter? E.g. always pick the closest monster, or the strongest?

Edit: I don't really mind which monster auto-aim picks, as long as it remembers my previous target if it's still alive. Also, you can hit monsters 'partially covered by walls' by targeting past them - actually I consider it to be a bug if a monster is in LOS but the line of fire is blocked, but you get used to it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 03:58 by Rabiat »
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: The logic of Auto-Aim
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:09 »

Are you suggesting auto-aim should be smarter? E.g. always pick the closest monster, or the strongest?
Not necessarily, but I'd really prefer that there'd be some kind of logic behind it.

Edit: I don't really mind which monster auto-aim picks, as long as it remembers my previous target if it's still alive. Also, you can hit monsters 'partially covered by walls' by targeting past them - actually I consider it to be a bug if a monster is in LOS but the line of fire is blocked, but you get used to it.
It'd still be a ton better if the Auto-Aim could notice the walls as well, so I'dn't have to aim myself. The problem's further magnified by my habit of "double-f:ing", which will result in you-know-what.
Pages: [1]