Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 05:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weapon Mods?  (Read 6013 times)

parrotpatrol

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Weapon Mods?
« on: June 17, 2007, 15:23 »

When the Hell am I able to start using weapon mods? I am dual wielding pistols here to the endgame, but I can't find any advanced pistols, and I'm carrying around 6 mod packs right now, and its really starting to piss me off.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Mods?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 15:28 »

Well, if you ever have any extra money laying around, you could donate it to Kornel and get the beta, where you get the opportunity to place a single mod on normal weapons.  Or, you could simply wait until the next version comes out for everyone... or perhaps, if you like pistols this much, simply try a game of AoMr instead of a normal one (you'll still have barrels for normal levels to blow holes in walls, and you won't need the XP or items from the special levels this somewhat locks you out of to kick ass).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 15:33 by BDR »

parrotpatrol

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 15:36 »

AoMr? Sorry, I'm kind of a noob here, I just found this game today. I just went past The Wall, and still havent found anything stronger than a Chaingun

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:06 »

Angel of Marksmanship, one of the challenges you can take. It gives you (and limits you to) advanced pistol.

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 09:11 »

you get the opportunity to place a single mod on normal weapons.
I think that is still pretty useless, but its a start.

As for adv.weaponry - in a normal game you're expected to find between 4-7 advanced guns, not counting the guaranteed ones. And 90% of time all of them will be either ordinary Shotgun or Pistol. In another 9% it will be a RL. Just today i saw an adv.Combat Shotgun for the first time (which is nonsensical, you dont need reload and magazine mods coz of Shottyman). And i have never seen an adv.Chaingun or adv.Plasma.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:25 »

Well, personally I thought it should be two mods instead of just one, but my guess is that Kornel doesn't want to make mods *too* good.  And I have seen an advanced chaingun at least once (maybe twice), though the one time I know I found it wasn't in one of the more recent versions (with mods).

parrotpatrol

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 12:07 »

Do the advanced weapons look like all the other weapons, or do I have to crouch over each and every one for descriptions? Because I went to freaking level 14, had the BFG and the Plasma rifle, and STILL hadn't found an advanced gun.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 17:54 »

IIRC advanced weapons are golden yellow {s, so no, you shouldn't have to walk over (or use 'l', which it seems you're not familiar with ;P) them to see that they exist, but you will have to look at them closer to figure out if they're what you need or not.  And their appearance is random; just because you can't find any in a run doesn't mean they don't exist.

parrotpatrol

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 21:15 »

They ARE pretty damn rare. I have played this game 31 times so far and haven't found one yet.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 22:43 »

Which difficulty are you playing on?  If you're only playing on Easy/I'm too young to die, I suggest trying harder stuff.

parrotpatrol

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:20 »

So Advanced weapon spawn rates step up on higher difficulties? I tried playing AoMr, but its rediculously hard starting out, I can't see how you could possibly take out a hellknight on medium with dual pistols.

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 13:59 »

I can't see how you could possibly take out a hellknight on medium with dual pistols.
*hint-hint* Dualgunner sucks, forget about its existence altogether. Its almost childishly easy with one pistol.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 14:13 »

Well, the way I take AoMr on M is like this:

1. My trait progression looks like SoG 3 (knocks shot time down to 4 turns from 10 and adds 3 guaranteed HP of damage to shots) -> Fin 2 (knocks shot time down to 2 turns from 4 and opens up Whizkid) -> WK 1 (allows you to have a 3D2S3R pistol, making it so that you can shoot two guns for a cost of only one turn [a hell knight needs ten turns to fling that ball of acid at you], get a damage range of 2-14 HP [not taking into account the 3 static HP of damage SoG 3 gives], and reload about 3 turns faster).  This is because being able to shoot quickly tends to trump being able to hit your enemies, and as long as you remain in aggressive mode while shooting you won't have to suffer a lot from the decrease in evasion/inability to hit as well due to no EE.  After getting these 6 traits, I'd say you'll either want to take another level in WK (in case you grabbed some magazine mods along the way as well as damage/speed/reload mods, making it necessary to max out in order to get your pistol in tip-top shape), then spend on more conventional traits, or just spend your next two/three levels on more conventional traits.

2. Mods are your friend.  You won't need a lot of speed mods (only one is needed if you're using a single pistol to max out on speed; two will be needed to overcome the DG penalties, though), but reload and damage mods will make it a lot easier to survive fights.  I tend to ditch the magazine mods; since enemies move every 10 turns, even at the fastest firing rate possible the bad guys will get a chance to return fire after 10 bullets, and since I don't feel like counting bullets to make sure I have the best chance of avoiding a hit I find it a pain to have to deal with getting hit while shooting.  Your mileage will probably vary, though, especially since with mag mods you'll get quite a few more chances to work over your enemies and possibly slay them before needing to perform a potentially costly reload.

3. Cover is also your friend.  There's nothing quite like being able to fire off an entire clip, turn around a corner/close a door, reload, then do it again without the guy you're fighting getting a single chance to return fire before obligingly dying.  Don't hesitate to make use of this.

4. The wimps (former humans/sarges/captains, imps, demons, lost souls, and pain elementals*) should be handled one at a time before you reach SoG 3; after you start getting into the one to four turn range they should really be a piece of cake to kill.  The rest will requre you to avoid direct blow-for-blow confrontation as much as possible.  This is where making use of cover is very important (or knockback if you're in an open area, damage mods will really help out here); if you can keep the bad guys from shooting at you, do so, for they will hit hard and your weapon isn't really good enough by itself to allow you room to spend traits on survival instead of in service to it.

5. Open areas require knockback potential; if you haven't got any damage mods and you're in an arach cave, it's very likely you'll get killed/drained of most of your contigency items.  Closed areas require good use of cover; if it gets destroyed, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to run fast enough to avoid the great balls of fire/plasma/etc. that get flung at you, and if you don't use it you may not get the chance to finish reloading before you die/need to use a medkit.

This is how I see AoMr; I don't claim to be the greatest at it by any stretch, but this is what seems to work best IME.

*Pain elementals have only the ability to attack in melee and spawn lost souls; they spawn a lot of them, but by the time you run into them on medium you'll be plenty ready for doling out death to both them and anything they spawn easily, thus they are wimps (letting them close in on you, however, is about as recommended as letting the souls or a demon close in on you :P).

Edit: DG doesn't *suck*, but it's not something I'd recommend taking until you have your original pistol cranked into a capable tool of destruction.  The speed penalty is too large to start off with it right after SoG 2, but once you get SoG 3 & Fin 2, even if you can't find any speed mods the penalty becomes fairly manageable, and doesn't require you to take a second level of DG.

parrotpatrol

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 15:36 »

Wait. You can play AoMr on easy?

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 23:10 »

Where did I mention playing AoMr on Easy?  If you thought IME was referring to that, IME = In My Experience, and that's the only capital E I can find....

Although, you could *technically* restrict yourself to using only the pistol for an Easy game, but you'd have to find an advanced pistol if you wanted one, and before then your life would be rather rough...
Pages: [1]