Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Regarding XP Ranks...  (Read 4884 times)

Yuri2356

• Private
    • View Profile
Regarding XP Ranks...
« on: May 16, 2007, 17:50 »

Do they actually do anything for gameplay?

The skill ranks unlock new difficulties and challenge modes, but I can't find any effect that the XP ranks have other than being a rather nice decoration for the player info screen.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding XP Ranks...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 23:28 »

They boost your ego.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 23:34 »

Pretty much. Having an in game penalty/bonus would be a pretty stupid idea..

What I would like to see is having your game profile linked up with your forum account..

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 00:40 »

Having an in game penalty/bonus would be a pretty stupid idea..
It would be a pretty good idea, thats why Japanese games a lots better than Usian ones, they have tons and tons of unlockables !

And anyway, killing 500 Mancubi ? Uh...can i do it in my lifetime ? Dont think so.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 00:47 »

It would be a pretty good idea, thats why Japanese games a lots better than Usian ones, they have tons and tons of unlockables !
unlockable != penalty/bonus

I second Anticheese on both points.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:20 »

unlockable != penalty/bonus
In your mind only.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 06:03 »

And anyway, killing 500 Mancubi ? Uh...can i do it in my lifetime ? Dont think so.
You're seriously overestimating Mancubi.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 08:54 »

Now if it would be 500 Arch-Viles... >>
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Behrooz Wolf

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:19 »

I usually see mancubi and archviles appear at the same time, so it'd probably be a choice of which one I wanted to add to my kill total before I have to reload and the other ends my game.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 14:17 »

Mancubi seem to me to be relatively rare compared with AVs.

Anyway, I think the XP rank as a meaningless ego boost's just fine. Skill rank're already there to unlock things. If XP'll unlock anything, make it something minor and purely optional - mandatory penalties aren't my cup of tea.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 16:28 »

The whole point of DoomRL is that it takes skill to pull off some of the more challenging battles. If there were a bonus system where you could allocate points towards the chances of a weapon spawning on the first level + a buttload of ammo (This is just an example)...

--

Step one: Edit the player data file with a hex editor. Give a 9 figure amount of points.

Step two: Make it near impossible for the BFG9K to NOT spawn on the first level with enough ammo to get you through the game

Step three: Post the first ever 100% nightmare full victory run.

--

On the other hand..

--

"Yes! My first full victory! Who ever knew..>$&Q*)(@#)(^%@)(@%)(@$"

*starts up a new game*

Player thinks to his/herself: Yaknow..I think I'll try ITYTD mode. I need a bit of easy fun.

Two minutes later...

"What!? No combat shotgun? No armour? No level exit except down to hells arena? Ah screw it..I'll use the exit.."

Two seconds later...

Arch Vile: "Kehehehe..."

*giblitized sound effect*

Ischaldirh

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 23:50 »

Minor unlockables might be nice. Things like extra optional levels, other challenge games, etc. Though if you can reach the highest one, you ought to get something nice. I mean come on, you worked for it right?

What about this idea; each Xp rank knocks, like, 2% off the Xp required for each level. So you level up a tiny bit faster. Thus my guy (a Demon) would get a net 6% discount on his levels. I don't know if that's even worth it though; I don't like the idea of killing 40 Cacodemons in melee just to get an extra 2% faster leveling...maybe it could ramp up slightly, say 1% for the first two, 2% for the next, etc... Random ideas from an outsider, aye, but it doesn't seem like it's too much and it's not too little either...

Also, I just re read a few parts of the conversation... I'm sorry, but I don't see how unlockables are a "mandatory penalty". It's a reward for a player who spends lots of time playing the game. Now I agree, if it were too dramatic it would be pretty stupid. Yes it's mandatory. If you want it you have to earn it. So you don't want to spend the time to kill all those mancubi? Then don't. But that other person, who's played the game a few billion times and DID manage to kill them... well, he should get something for it right?

One more idea. A purely cosmetic reward. You rank up, you get some points to spend on your "character", to give him a background, a history, etc. Some background traits might take more points than others, some might exclude others, some might lead to others. Thus purely optional. If you don't want to make your guy into a character worthy of Chuck Norris, no worries. You still get the same game as Chuck Norris does.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 23:59 by Ischaldirh »
Pages: [1]