Chaosforge Forum

• September 20, 2024, 19:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 17:06 
Started by Omega Tyrant - Last post by Omega Tyrant
Standard UV run with Fireangel for Gatekeeper Silver and Diamond plus picking up the Angelic Pin

Another Diamond badge down, that I also didn't post a thread for as I've gotten Gatekeeper Diamond before. While Fireangel is normally one of the weaker masteries, it shines for this badge, as no damage rocket jumps means you don't need a phase device or floor 7 Invuln to get past the ambush without damage; blow up the door on the other side, activate run before triggering the ambush, and then rocket jump through. There is still some luck involved, as you might a low damage roll on your rocket jump that doesn't send you far enough, but running and the requisite Hellrunner makes the odds low that you'll get hit, then you just have to slowly pick away at the ambush enemies from out of sight with the Tactical Shotgun until they die, and then repeat the same for the Bruisers (though you can also blow up the center wall that is destructible to create a nice corner shooting spot). Then no damaging the Cyberdemon after is trivial when you have Dodgemaster, and Fireangel ensures even if you get an unlucky spawning spot with him that leaves you cornered so you can't avoid splash damage, you still won't take any damage (the only way to fail getting the no damage on him with Fireangel is for him to get a lucky direct shot from out-of-vision that you dodge in too, or you for some reason let him corner you into unavoidable melee range). Overall I would definitely say this is the easiest Diamond badge that isn't pure grind, getting this first try, and as long as you're good enough to beat UV with a weaker mastery and can beat all the tough special levels in Phobos (as you need to do them to ensure you get Fireangel before Anomaly), you can get this badge without any serious grinding. Also thanks to an Invuln on Hell 4 and having a Nanomachic Rocket Launcher, I manage to pick up my first Angelic Pin in 0.9.9.8, and also my first Angelic Pin ever that wasn't in AoMC.

Badge count - [19|17|16|6|2|0] Medal count - 31/50

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UV AoMC run for Destroyer Bronze to Platinum and Untouchable Pin + Medal for Heroic Platinum

Back in 0.9.9.7, Destroyer Platinum was one of the first Platinums I got and I was under the impression it was an easy one, but when doing several casual AoMC runs over the years, I actually had some trouble going avoided over 200 damage. So I was thinking I maybe got lucky in obtaining it many years ago, but when I seriously tried for it in 0.9.9.8, I got it first try (skipping Phobos Lab definitely helped, when the ambush is a lot of unavoidable damage if you don't have a phase device), and came very close to getting the Untouchable Cross for the first time too (finishing with 60ish damage taken). Getting the Untouchable Pin and Medal also nets me enough medals to get Heroic Platinum.

Badge count - [20|18|17|8|2|0] Medal count - 33/50

UV AoH run for Everyman Gold to Diamond and all the AoH-exclusive medals

Since this is my first new Diamond badge in 0.9.9.8 that I never got in 0.9.9.7, and being one of the rarest badges to boot, I of course posted the mortem in its Post Mortem thread. Very happy with how it turned out, not even having to make a real grind for it, and I also got it recorded as well (you can watch it on Youtube here)

Badge count - [20|18|18|9|3|0] Medal count - 36/50

UV AoSh run for Shottyman Bronze to Gold

A bit underwhelming to followup Everyman Diamond, but hey may as well get these easy badges out of the way when I don't feel like playing AoSh yet. I went Gunrunner at least instead of my usual Shottyhead or the significantly buffed Army Of The Dead to make it a bit more interesting, and while most of the item finds in this run were unideal or came too late to matter, Gunrunner is viable enough to make it work without unideal luck.

Badge count - [21|19|19|9|3|0] Medal count - 36/50

Very quick HMP run for Speedrunner Bronze to Gold

I decided to try some quick attempts at the Speedrunner badges to inch farther closing to getting all the Bronze/Silver/Gold badges again, and I ended up getting Speedrunner Gold in yet another first try. I remember Speedrunner taking me a bit of grinding when I got it back in 0.9.9.7, so it's nice to get this badge done in a single try, especially as I do not like seriously speedrunning games myself (though I like spectating speedruns, especially Doom speedruns).

Badge count - [22|20|20|9|3|0] Medal count - 36/50

on: Today at 17:04 
UV AoMr run for Marksman Bronze to Platinum, Arena Gold, and Brick Silver

Next up is a standard UV Angel of Marksmanship run. For some reason I did a bunch of those in the beta testing, and went from being not very well versed with pistols to being quite proficient with them (still far prefer most other builds though). Aside from knocking out the Marksman badges up to Platinum and getting Arena Gold, I also aimed to get Brick Silver, which is perhaps the least obtained Silver badge in the game (it was in fact the fast the very last I got back in 0.9.9.7, finally making the effort to get it shortly before 0.9.9.8 renewed development). I played a Sharpshooter, because despite its serious flaws, it's easily my favorite Pistol mastery (though not a high bar when the other Pistol masteries suck), and because I don't want to play Scavenger too much (another very viable pick for AoMr, which I think is actually better). If you want to near-guarantee getting Brick Silver, you also need to play Sharpshooter or Scavenger or masterless Technician, because you need either the consistent max damage or SoB to break through The Wall before burning too much ammo and need to be able to build an Energy or Demolition Pistol before you reach The Wall/Containment Area (which non-Technicians otherwise need to get two levels of Fin first before they can get WK, not an easy thing for pistol builds that need so many other traits). Despite Sharpshooter's notoriously awful early game, I get through Phobos first try. Additionally during this run I was lucky enough to find a second Sniper mod immediately after Deimos Lab and then a Combat Pistol on the floor right after, getting a 2S Combat Pistol pretty early (though I nearly threw the game right after in Containment Area by getting too complacent, a Sharpshooter with a 2S Combat Pistol is very much not invincible). Unfortunately the game ended up being really stingy with power mods and I couldn't triple P mod it, nor even double P mod until near the end, but the luck gotta balance out. I found a third Sniper mod too at the end of the game, but with nothing to use it on, I slapped it on the Combat Pistol for the hell of it despite three Sniper mods currently having no extra effect.

Badge count - [16|12|12|4|0|0] Medal count - 26/50

HMP AoD run for Hunter Bronze to Gold but no Arachno Silver

I ended up posting this in its own Post Mortem thread, as I believe it's the first legitimate AoD Conqueror. Unfortunately I got Halls of Carnage instead of Spider's Lair, so I'll need to do another AoD run for Arachno Silver.

Badge count - [17|13|13|4|0|0] Medal count - 26/50

UV AoI run for Eagerness Bronze to Platinum, Lava Silver, and Chessmaster's Token, in addition to picking up Technician Gold and Mastermind's Brain

I posted this in its own Post Mortem thread, as I believe it is the first AoI Conqueror run (thanks House Of Pain!).

Badge count - [18|15|15|5|0|0] Medal count - 28/50

Failed HMP fist run for Strongman Diamond with Fallout Gold Cross

This is a failed attempt at getting Strongman Diamond. Despite 0.9.9.8 fixing kill attribution issues (notably indirect kills are no longer attributed to the weapon you have equipped, making this badge a lot less annoying), I found out that missing a shot that explodes a barrel which then kills an enemy, counts as a kill for the weapon you shot with. And it happened early in the run too, but I played on as I wanted to see if that would count or not, well it wasted my time but now you know not to blow up barrels with guns or knives if you want Strongman Diamond. I wouldn't post this mortem here, but I picked up the Fallout Gold Cross for the first time in it (after learning from Icy that you don't need to stay around and survive the nuke going off, just activating them counts, so I set some off I found to get this medal), so here it is for record progression sake.

Badge count - [18|15|15|5|0|0] Medal count - 29/50

Successful fist run for Strongman Bronze to Diamond and picking up Gambler's Shield

Normally a Diamond mortem would unquestionably be worth posting on its own, but since I already obtained Strongman Diamond before (as my very first Diamond badge in fact, and I posted it here), I didn't feel like posting a thread for it. The second attempt for Strongman Diamond went smoothly and I earned this usually tedious badge pretty quickly (sub-3 hour runs are uncommon for me); I would just pistol formers, imps, and Lost souls once to get their attention and then punch them (a Pistol with no power mod, SoG, or SoB can never kill them in one shot), then pistol bigger enemies to wound them until they got closer (saving shotguns to weaken very big enemies who I was sure there was no weaker enemy around behind them to get hit in the spread). Once Vampyre kicked in, with how OP it is in 0.9.9.8, I didn't need to worry about gradual wear, and I ended up doing most of the special levels (only skipping Hell's Arena because it would have burned too many armors and medkits I need early, and then skipped Mortuary because it wasn't worth the risk). I also picked up Gambler's Shield along the way despite having no Intuition, as Vampyre made them have very little risk and so I kept hitting levers in Deimos and Hell to try getting this annoying medal out of the way, luckily finding enough to succeed.

Badge count - [19|16|16|6|1|0] Medal count - 30/50

on: Today at 17:02 
This thread is to document the mortems all the badges and medals I obtained in 0.9.9.8, as for most of them I did not feel like making individual threads here for (and so the Post Mortem board does not get flooded with my runs). This also records my progression to 100% (or rather how close I can get, given how many of the Angelic badges and Arena Diamond are currently realistically impossible).

First standard HMP run for many Bronze/Silver/Gold badges and medals

This is my first run of the official 0.9.9.8 release (well I had one run before, but I tested out someone reporting in an old telefragging bug, and after it was confirmed fixed, I decided to kill myself by telefragging to see if you got a funny death message for it, unfortunately you don't :( ). The Unlock All setting was bugged in the release version, with it not unlocking the harder difficulties, so I had to start off with a standard HMP game. I did a quick run through with the currently broken Vampyre in a mostly uneventful run that gathered up many of the easy badges and medals, other than me taking a detour to obtain Iron Skull for the first time (which thankfully had its requirement reduced to a less absurd 5000 damage). Still a tedious medal, but I didn't need to spend too much time on it, as getting halfway there at City Of Skulls, and then just taking many lava baths before picking up healing items/powerups in the second half of the game was enough to get me to 5000 damage.

Badge count - [12|4|2|0|0|0] Medal count - 9/50

First standard UV run for Veteran and Elite Platinum, as well as some more medals and several Golds/Silvers/Bronzes

Here is my first official UV run of 0.9.9.8. I advanced enough as a player that I can consistently fully beat standard UV with virtually any build and so don't need to make any thorough plans for it, so I just went with my favorite build of Shottyhead here. Aside from picking up some more Silvers and Golds, I reobtained Elite and Veteran Platinum here, while also picking up the Hell Arena's Key and Shambler Head (the latter of which I believe is the first I got it outside of AoMC). Nearly picked up the Angelic Pin too, but making Nano Shrapnel with the Double Shotgun proved to be a mistake as I couldn't hit things outside my vision with it without shooting at very specific angles, so I tried waiting the center of Mortuary behind the walls for cover after clearing out one side, where an Imp then got a double move and hit me (I thought Imps couldn't do that to Scouts, but maybe wait was changed to no longer be affected by the Scout's speed bonus?).

Badge count - [13|6|6|2|0|0] Medal count - 14/50

Quick run for Pacifist badges and Icarus + Compet-n medals

For the official 0.9.9.8 release, I opted to not use the Unlock All option, as I wanted to see how quickly I could unlock everything. So after the UV run, I went for the quick Angel Of Pacifism run, which took some attempts, and in one of those failed ones I got Pacifism Bronze (excluded the mortem here because I forgot about it initially and trying to edit it back into this first post later had it hitting the character limit, while I didn't feel like editing all the posts to fit it in chronologically, surely no one cares about the mortem for a Bronze badge?). In less than an hour I was able to get a successful run, picking up the Pacifism Bronze to Gold badges, as well as all the Icarus and Compet-n crosses, which got me enough medals to get Heroic Silver too.

Badge count - [14|8|7|2|0|0] Medal count - 19/50

UV A100 run for Centurial Bronze to Platinum

Next up I went for an A100 run once it was unlocked, easily my favorite challenge mode, and throughout all my time playing DRL, I have probably put as much or more time into A100 runs than I have playing standard games. Again I can make about any build work in A100 on UV (I even did a 100% UV A100 run with Entrechment once during the beta process), but went with Scavenger here. Part of it is because Scavenger is really fun in A100 (especially so with 0.9.9.8 letting Scavenger now disassemble any type of equipment), but part of it is I also wanted to build as many assemblies I can, particularly the annoying ones that require rare weapons and/or rare mods, to both build towards the Technician badges and to get them out of the Schematics pool for Armory/Deimos Lab (unfortunately 0.9.9.8 has not changed how Schematics drop, so you want to get all the assemblies done ASAP so you don't have them cost you a crucial rare mod in any of the harder challenge runs). There was still quite a few I was unable to make (quite annoying I didn't find a single BFG nor Chainsaw despite them being made less rare in 0.9.9.8), but I was able to get the majority of assemblies done, while thanks to Technicians getting the newly added WK3, I was able to build the ultimate pistol to completely eradicate the lategame (a P3N2S2 Combat Pistol, a 3d6 Combat Pistol that was effectively Nanomachic and retained its accuracy against out-of-sight enemies). With this run, I get the Centurial Bronze to Platinum badges done, as well as the Experience Medal.

Badge count - [15|10|8|3|0|0] Medal count - 20/50

Zen Master's Cross AoOC run for many annoying medals, Heroic Gold, and Daredevil Gold

0.9.9.8 added new some medals, four of which are the Pacifism Medal (win with 10% or less kills outside of AoPc), the Shotgunnery and Marksmanship Crosses (win with all your kills being with fists and shotguns or pistols respectively, outside of AoSh and AoMr), and the Zen Master's Cross (win without directly killing anything outside of AoPc). These medals are quite annoying (especially the Shotgunnery and Marksmanship Crosses that feel pointless when we already got weapon-locked challenges), but in the beta testing I discovered that going for the Zen Master's Cross will get all those medals, as well as the Malicious Knives Cross and Sunrise Iron Fist, due to a technicality in the coding where those medals are earned by not recording a kill with any disqualifying weapon. So if you don't kill anything directly... you don't record any disqualifying kills, and thus you'll obtain all of them in a pseudo-pacifist run.

With that mind, I just did some quick AoOC runs on HNTR playing a stair-diving pacifist, nabbing the Nuclear BFG from Mortuary/Limbo, and then nuking the Mastermind. It took a few attempts, but you don't need to get lucky to win this way. With a whopping six new medals from this run, I get enough for Heroic Gold, and also pick up Daredevil Gold too.

Badge count - [15|10|10|3|0|0] Medal count - 26/50

on: Today at 14:25 
I did this run a few weeks ago and wasn't going to post it here, but when building my mortem dump thread, I thought to take a search to see if anyone has actually done a Conqueror run in Angel of Darkness before, and the only such thread I could find was this TwoDev thread. Of course it's accepted now that TwoDev's runs were bullshit (whether it be from him hacking the game to give himself god mode or posting outright fabricated mortems), so I'm going to assume this is the first time a Conqueror run in AoD has been pulled off (or at least the first one to do it legitimately and post it here). This was only on HMP and was why I wasn't going to post it here at first, but a Conqueror in AoD is still quite imposing. Hell's Arena in particular is very difficult, when you have no means yet of easy corpse disposal, are lacking traits even with the boosted EXP gain, and the reduced vision means you can't safely run -> wait anywhere on the map. Yet, surprising myself given how I couldn't do it the few times I tried before in some casual AoD runs, I managed to pull it off first try (taking advantage of Brute letting me kill Demons on the stairs easily so they had no corpse, and intentionally eating a few calculated plasma balls on troublesome Cacodemon corpses to destroy them). Then the rest of the run after went pretty smooth, while Berserker protected me from any big hits from enemies I couldn't see. Mortuary was going to be the big hurdle and I was ready for it with Blademaster + Scythe, but got Limbo instead. Not wanting to risk dying from getting repeatedly hit into lava and Limbo not having conductive ground for melee fighting, I just immediately hit the switches and then homing phased to huddle in one of the corners, waiting for nearly every enemy to come up to me and kill them. It was quite time consuming and I was always worried about accidentally going down the stairs (very easy to misclick when hitting the space bar now descends), but it wasn't hard once that setup was done. Most disappointed though I didn't get Spider's Lair, and so now I'll need to do another AoD run to get Arachno Silver (or try getting it whenever I eventually go for Hunter Diamond, which probably wouldn't be ideal).

Don't have much other commentary unfortunately, as again with this run being a few weeks old, I don't have fresh thoughts and didn't record much of it in the Discord server. However I did find out that you can still get the newly added Darkness even in AoD, and if it happens, your vision gets reduced to four tiles, pretty nasty.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GX8hcUZXwAA5azf?format=jpg&name=large

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DRL (0.9.9.8a) roguelike post-mortem character dump

BLADE, level 18 Mancubus 1st Lieutenant Scout,
 nuked the Mastermind at the Hell Fortress.
 He survived 1252501 turns and scored 383738 points.
 He played for 4 hours, 40 minutes and 38 seconds.
 He wasn't afraid to be hurt plenty.

He killed 1316 out of 1316 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!
 He was an Angel of Darkness!

He saved himself once.

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 11
  Levels completed : 11

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice         Won with 100% kills
  UAC Star (silver cluster)  50+ kills without taking damage
  Aurora Medallion           Found more than 3 uniques in one game
  Conqueror Pin              Completed all generated levels
  Grim Reaper's Pin          Clear the Mortuary/Limbo
  Hell Armorer Pin           Clear Hell's Armory/Deimos Lab
  Hell Champion Medal        Clear Hell's Arena
  Hunter Bronze Badge        Reach level 9 on Angel of Darkness
  Hunter Silver Badge        Complete Angel of Darkness (AoD)
  Hunter Gold Badge          Complete AoD on HMP/80% kills

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ..........................................................#
  ................................................X.........#
  ................................................}.........#
  ...............................................||.........#

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 71/70   Experience 164552/18
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +10  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +15

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Ironman          (Level 2)
    Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Brute            (Level 5)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Berserker        (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 2)
    Whizkid          (Level 2)
    Blademaster      (Level 1)

Int->Int->Bru->Bru->Ber->Fin->Jug->Fin->WK->HR->Bru->WK->HR->MBm->Iro->Bru->Bru->Iro->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   powered red armor [5/5] (100%) (T)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   Azrael's Scythe (9d9)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   phaseshift boots [8/8] (100%) (AP)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   shell box (x85)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] tactical shotgun (8d3) [3/5]
    [b] plasmatic combat shotgun (7d3) [5/5] (T1)
    [c] tactical rocket launcher (6d6) [0/5] (T1)
    [d] BFG 9000 (10d6) [100/100]
    [e] Angelic Armor [7/7] (100%)
    [f] shotgun shell (x70)
    [g] rocket (x13)
    [h] power cell (x70)
    [i] large med-pack
    [j] large med-pack
    [k] large med-pack
    [l] large med-pack
    [m] large med-pack
    [n] large med-pack
    [o] large med-pack
    [p] technical mod pack
    [q] lava element
    [r] environmental plasteel boots [2/2] (100%)
    [s] shell box (x100)
    [t] shell box (x100)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

bullet     - internal 80%   torso 95%   feet 80% 
    melee      - internal 80%   torso 95%   feet 80% 
    shrapnel   - internal 80%   torso 95%   feet 80% 
    acid       - internal 60%   torso 70%   feet 60% 
    fire       - internal 60%   torso 95%   feet 60% 
    plasma     - internal 60%   torso 70%   feet 60% 

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

137 former humans
    117 former sergeants
    43 former captains
    159 imps
    141 demons
    324 lost souls
    74 cacodemons
    65 hell knights
    48 barons of hell
    44 arachnotrons
    6 former commandos
    19 pain elementals
    43 revenants
    29 mancubi
    15 arch-viles
    26 nightmare cacodemons
    15 nightmare demons
    3 bruiser brothers
    1 shambler
    1 lava elemental
    1 agony elemental
    1 Angel of Death
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind
    1 John Carmack
    1 Arena Master

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 5 he found the Arena Master's Staff!
  He defeated the Hell Arena Master!
  On level 6 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 7 he sneaked into the Phobos Lab.
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical shotgun!
  He broke through the lab.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 9 he assembled a plasmatic shrapnel!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 11 he arrived at the Containment Area.
  He emerged from the Containment Area victorious!
  On level 12 he assembled a double chainsaw!
  On level 12 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 14 he was stumbling in the dark!
  On level 14 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 17 he entered the Vaults.
  On level 17 he found the BFG 10K!
  He cracked the Vaults and cleared them out!
  On level 19 he assembled a tactical rocket launcher!
  On level 19 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 19 he found the Azrael's Scythe!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 20 he was foolish enough to enter Limbo!
  On level 20 he assembled a power armor!
  On level 20 he assembled a environmental boots!
  On level 20 he found the Angelic Armor!
  He managed to clear Limbo from evil!
  On level 22 he arrived at Mt. Erebus.
  He managed to raise Mt. Erebus completely!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  He overloaded a nuclear BFG 9000 on level 24!
  He defeated the Mastermind and found the TRUE EVIL!
  Then finally in Hell itself, he killed the final EVIL.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You hit the lost soul. The lost soul dies. Next!
 You hit the lost soul. The lost soul dies. Next! You feel like a killing
 machine! You're going berserk!
 You need to taste blood!
 You hit the lost soul. The lost soul dies. Next! You're going berserk!
 You need to taste blood!
 You hit the lost soul. The lost soul dies. Next! You're going berserk!
 You hit John Carmack. You need to taste blood!
 You hit John Carmack. You need to taste blood!
 You hit John Carmack. John Carmack dies. Congratulations! You defeated John
 Carmack! Press <Enter>...
 Next! You're going berserk!

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

15 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 6 of those were killed.
 1 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 1 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

7 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 2 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 1 killed the bitch and survived.
 4 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

on: Yesterday at 01:36 
I wasn't going to post individual threads for platinums and diamonds I already obtained back in 0.9.9.7 (I plan to make a mortem dump thread for those), but for my reobtaining of Eagerness Platinum in 0.9.9.8, I thought it was worth posting by itself, as I believe it is the first AoI conqueror run, and in UV no less (in my search to see if someone did it back in 0.9.9.7, I see papilio came close but couldn't get The Vaults). Most special levels become a lot more dangerous in AoI, as they have little to no means of healing when you can't bring medkits in, so that alone made completing a conqueror that much more imposing. But the big stumbling block was The Vaults; you can't bring the Arena Master Staff in nor Phase Devices, so there is no way to get into the center vault (couldn't even use the Whisper Of Death exploit, as you have no way to restore your tactics for the requisite four uses without bringing medkits in). The only way to clear The Vaults in AoI is to be lucky enough to find a Nuclear Plasma Rifle or BFG and an invuln right before The Vaults, and then nuking The Vaults (can't do it with a regular nuke either, as you can't carry those in AoI). In 0.9.9.8, this is still true for The Vaults, but a new paired level for The Vaults was added in 0.9.9.8, House of Pain, which is fully beatable without the Arena Master's Staff, which luckily spawned in this run and thus the first AoI conqueror. That wasn't the goal of this run, I was just aiming to get Lava Silver out of the way too and so played Scavenger to absolutely ensure I could get Cerberus or Lava Boots (though Scavenger is very nice for AoI as it lets you bypass the inability to stash mods in your inventory for later use, either by slapping a mod you want to save on some piece of equipment and then scavenging it later to get the mod back, or an exploit I discovered where scavenging with an empty inventory slot will have the resulting mod deposited straight to your inventory to use whenever you want). But I tend to just normally do every special level unless there is serious reason to skip it, and so went through them all along the way, while happening to get House Of Pain to complete the conqueror (though Unchained Court did kill me twice due to Barons destroying the berserks, and I also actually died in Military Base once because I tried the camping at the beginning doors strat without being able to gift drop the Elite Formers due to no medkits nor phase devices, leading to an Elite Sergeant coming up to one of the doors and SSGing me to death before I could act). Unfortunately I couldn't cap it off with a full win too, as no invuln spawned on Hell 7 (can't bring a Lava Element with you in AoI), so I had to settle for blowing away the Mastermind with the Biggest Fucking Gun. That means the first AoI full win conqueror is still on the table for someone to achieve.

Also big RIP to my F-modded Hyperblaster, had to scavenger it at the end to complete the Biggest Fucking Gun after I couldn't get another Firestorm mod. Tried recycling a ton of other mods I had through random assemblies at the end to finish my Nuclear VBFG too to get that assembly out of the way, but the game wouldn't give me just one more Power mod, oh well.

DRL (0.9.9.8a) roguelike post-mortem character dump

NOTIMETOWASTE,
 level 16 Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant Technician,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 389267 turns and scored 403123 points.
 He played for 4 hours, 20 minutes and 10 seconds.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 1652 out of 1652 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!
 He was an Angel of Impatience!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 11
  Levels completed : 11

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Cyberdemon's Head          Killing the Cyberdemon w/o taking damage
  Mastermind's Brain         Killing the Mastermind w/o taking damage
  Medal of Prejudice         Won with 100% kills
  UAC Star (gold cluster)    100+ kills without taking damage
  Aurora Medallion           Found more than 3 uniques in one game
  Conqueror Pin              Completed all generated levels
  Grim Reaper's Pin          Clear the Mortuary/Limbo
  Hell Armorer Pin           Clear Hell's Armory/Deimos Lab
  Chessmaster's Token        Complete Hell's Arena on AoMs/AoI on UV
  Hell Champion Medal        Clear Hell's Arena
  Technician Gold Badge      Discover all basic assemblies
  Lava Silver Badge          Clear the Lava Pits/Mt. Erebus on AoI
  Eagerness Bronze Badge     Reach level 9 on Angel of Impatience
  Eagerness Silver Badge     Complete Angel of Impatience (AoI)
  Eagerness Gold Badge       Complete AoI on HMP
  Eagerness Platinum Badge   Complete AoI on UV as non-Marine

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

#>##############.......................................####
  ###############.........X...............................###
  ################..............................####.......##
  #################.............................####........#
  #################.............................####.........
  ################...........%..................####.........
  ################...........................................
  ################.....................................####..
  ################.....................................####&.
  ###############............................................
  ##############................................####.........
  ##############................................####.........
  #############.................................####........#
  #############.................................####.......##
  #############...........................#...............###
  #>############.........................................####

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 61/50   Experience 132456/16
  ToHit Ranged +4  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +4  ToDmg Melee +4

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Technician

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 1)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 4)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 2)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 2)
    Whizkid          (Level 3)
    Scavenger        (Level 1)

SoB->EE->EE->Int->Int->WK->WK->MSc->SoB->Fin->Jug->HR->Fin->WK->SoB->SoB->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   fireproof red armor [4] (AO)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   biggest fucking gun (20d12) [45/325] (B1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [0/0] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   nothing

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] tactical shotgun (9d3) [5/5] (P1T1)
    [b] tactical rocket launcher (6d6) [5/5] (T1)
    [c] plasma rifle (1d7)x6 [40/40] (S2)
    [d] nuclear BFG 9000 (10d6) [40/40] (P2)
    [e] shotgun shell (x70)
    [f] shotgun shell (x70)
    [g] shotgun shell (x70)
    [h] shotgun shell (x28)
    [i] shotgun shell (x70)
    [j] shotgun shell (x70)
    [k] rocket (x6)
    [l] rocket (x14)
    [m] rocket (x14)
    [n] power cell (x8)
    [o] cerberus protective boots [0/0] (100%) (A)
    [p] shell box (x100)
    [q] shell box (x62)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

bullet     - internal 0%    torso 20%   feet 0%   
    melee      - internal 0%    torso 4294967286% feet 0%   
    shrapnel   - internal 0%    torso 20%   feet 0%   
    acid       - internal 25%   torso 35%   feet 25% 
    fire       - internal 25%   torso 90%   feet 25% 
    plasma     - internal 0%    torso 10%   feet 0%   

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

133 former humans
    83 former sergeants
    47 former captains
    172 imps
    101 demons
    729 lost souls
    29 cacodemons
    30 hell knights
    68 barons of hell
    50 arachnotrons
    15 former commandos
    61 pain elementals
    33 revenants
    28 mancubi
    37 arch-viles
    3 nightmare imps
    6 nightmare cacodemons
    16 nightmare demons
    2 nightmare arch-viles
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 shambler
    1 lava elemental
    1 agony elemental
    1 Angel of Death
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind
    1 Arena Master

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  He defeated the Hell Arena Master!
  On level 5 he found the Arena Master's Staff!
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 7 he sneaked into the Phobos Lab.
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical shotgun!
  He broke through the lab.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 9 he assembled a hyperblaster!
  On level 9 he assembled a fireproof armor!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 11 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 12 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 13 he assembled a cerberus boots!
  On level 13 he assembled a tactical rocket launcher!
  On level 14 he ventured into the Spider's Lair.
  He cleared the Lair, kickin' serious spider ass!
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  He left level 16 as soon as possible.
  On level 17 he trespassed on the House of Pain.
  On level 17 he found the Necroarmor!
  He conquered the House!
  On level 18 he found the Grammaton Cleric Beretta!
  On level 19 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 19 he found the Azrael's Scythe!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 20 he was foolish enough to enter Limbo!
  On level 20 he found the Angelic Armor!
  He managed to clear Limbo from evil!
  On level 21 he assembled a lava boots!
  On level 22 he arrived at Mt. Erebus.
  On level 22 he assembled a tactical armor!
  He managed to raise Mt. Erebus completely!
  On level 23 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 23 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 23 he assembled a biggest fucking gun!
  On level 23 he assembled a ballistic armor!
  On level 23 he assembled a fireproof boots!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 24 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

There is an envirosuit pack lying here.
 No time to waste. You use an envirosuit pack from the ground. You feel
 protected!
 There are stairs leading downward here.
 You enter the damned city of Dis...
 There is a lever (woah!) here.
 You pull the lever...
 Out of range! Out of range!
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched!
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched!
 You quickly reload the biggest fucking gun. Your power battery is depleted.
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind dies.
 Congratulations! You defeated the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>...
 You feel relatively safe now.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

19 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 9 of those were killed.
 1 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 1 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

8 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 2 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 2 killed the bitch and survived.
 4 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

on: September 18, 2024, 15:53 
Started by Omega Tyrant - Last post by Buzzard
Scavenger mastery text needs to be updated to state that you can also scavenge boots and armor now.

on: September 18, 2024, 14:25 
Started by Omega Tyrant - Last post by TNT
Fair enough on the ammo problem. Given that after a lot of firing, chainguns are super hot and keep on spinning a bit, maybe you could have the resistances last a couple of turns after you stop the chain fire be it voluntarily or if you ran out of ammo midway

I remember on the server we brought up maybe having it auto-reload which could be good/nice to also have but is also gated by having ammo - that can't really be addressed without something ultra drastic like ammo-chain sadly. You could try and move slightly in that direction by having so that while chain firing, you require less ammo to fully reload. Assuming that's doable you could even tie it to how many turns you've spent on chain fire.

on: September 18, 2024, 13:13 
Started by Clamp360 - Last post by Clamp360
After ~7-8 hours of grinding and 2 good attempts that I threw like an idiot, I finally got Shottyman Angelic!

I've been playing this game on and off for like ten years (since I was in middle school), and have been steadily improving with time, but I've always avoided Nightmare! because I like to take my time and see that beautiful 100% at the end of the game.  Yesterday though, I decided it was about damn time that I give it a shot, and what better way to do that than to mix it with a little overconfidence and shotgunnery?  In truth, this run is the product of a shamelessly stolen strategy (thanks Icy!) and a lucky invulnerability and sniper pack, but it was a ton of fun anyway, and I think I've gotten dramatically better at the game in the process, whether the enemies are respawning or otherwise.  For the record, this is on 0.9.9.7, as I haven't updated yet.

on: September 18, 2024, 12:49 
Started by Omega Tyrant - Last post by Buzzard
Nightmare! currently does not show you the 10% speed debuff that is applied to all classes. It should probably be noted in the player statistics to ensure that people don't get confused about why they are getting double-moved on.

on: September 18, 2024, 10:46 
I think the problem with Entrenchment isn't that Entrenchment is bad, but that chain fire is bad. Chain fire should be changed, then Entrenchment can be reëvaluated. Right now, I only use Chain fire to save ammo. I suggest removing the 2/3 fire speed shots penalty from the first turn (so you fire full shots from the start), and make chain fire the default firing mode. Then make burst fire as an alternative fire which fires 2/3 shots and cancels any current wind-up. This is a buff to chaingun (which kinda needs the buff, imho). It's only a slight buff to plasma gun since we are usually more concerned with ammo efficiency than raw output on plasma gun. Hyperblaster might need nerfing though if this goes through.

I'm wondering how OP Entrenchment would be if it gave you defense any time you take any action except for moving. Maybe the defense could build up based on the time spent standing still. Or, to keep it attached to rapid fire weapons, the defense could scale with amount of chain fire wind-up.

Related to Chain-Fire, Entrenchment could remove the current limit of 3/2 number of shots after the third turn. Just how far the number would go may need to be tested.

I suppose it could be done as just a general buff to chainfiring even outside of Entrenchment as Khashishi suggests

Maybe you could buff Chainfiring, but turning it to the default fire would definitely be a no-go. One problem with chainfiring is how when switching targets, your fire "pans" over and several shots get wasted in the process, weakening your damage output and wasting ammo, so even if you buffed it so it started at a normal fire rate, it would be a nerf to rapid fire weapons when you can no longer switch targets so smoothly and when built up rapid fire weapons will often kill enemies in one normal burst anyway.

The other problem with Entrenchment, having actually used it in 100% UV runs in the standard game and A100, is that actually trying to take advantage of it will result in your clip running out fast and now you're stuck having to reload with no extra resistances (a problem that becomes even more severe if you have Chainfire deplete your ammo even faster), unless you find a Minigun and bulk mod the crap out of it (while hoping enough Chaingunners spawn to support your 600 bullets a minute diet), or you're lucky enough to find a Nano mod and make a Nanomachic Plasma or Laser Rifle, both requiring lots of luck. Speaking of the Laser Rifle, yet another serious issue with Entrenchment is that it also requires several auxiliary traits to function effectively, as unless you find a Laser Rifle, you practically need Eagle Eye to effectively use rapid fires and preferably at least two levels (unless you got a mastery like Ammochain that can get away with it by affording the ammo cost of the more dakka route), while also really needing Whizkid (without a Nano mod, you're gonna need several bulk mods so you can actually chain fire more than a few bursts, and with a Nano mod, you're gonna need WK2 in order to build a Nanomachic weapon), and then there is still all the good stuff to invest into, all for one of the weakest mastery effects in the game. If a mastery is going to require significant secondary investment, it's gotta be actually worth it (like Gunrunner needs Shottyman and Whizkid, but it can be somewhat worth it as it offers one of the highest potential ceilings in the game).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10