Chaosforge Forum

• June 26, 2024, 00:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Assemblies and Demos  (Read 2118 times)

Gamer-man

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Assemblies and Demos
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:35 »

I wish i could donate, but I am job hunting and thus can't afford it at the moment, and you already have someone who understands AI (about the only thing i program well).  However, I thought I might give you more information for your consideration:

I have currently played 38 games of DoomRL 0.9.9.4.  beat HMP, 100% HNTR Cacodemon Warrant Officer (1 silver away from 2nd lieutenant though i will have to re-earn the badges, I'll probably get my 9th silver before switching over)

I contacted the 2 people i got into the game, and neither knew about assemblies, I taught both of them tactical armor to get them started.  People without this luxury need better information about assemblies apparently.

I so far have yet to learn my first advanced assembly, and I don't like that they are reserved for long time players, people who look it up on the wiki, and UV.  I think since basic assemblies are such a great way to make a player feel he is progressing early, there should be a gradual step down (HMP having access to advanced, and UV to master for example) rather than just a sharp drop where you stop expecting new assemblies (since advanced is too difficult to guess being less than 1% chance of being correct, requires a trait we can't fully take advantage of until we gain access to an assembly that we can't guess until we choose the trait we can't take advantage of fully....)

Doom had demo videos that ran if you left the menu on, maybe DoomRL could have something like that, teach players quickly by letting them see the techniques most people learn about on the forum (corner shooting/blind fire, one of them can have a basic assembly, the hero can die in embarrassing yet instructive ways like in the demos).

Anyways, that is what i have for accessibility information.  I'll leave the game play change suggestions up to the vets, though i think almost 40 games means I can't consider myself a new player anymore

Zalminen

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • The Good, The Bad & The Random
    • View Profile
Re: Assemblies and Demos
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:14 »

It would be better to have the assembly recipes all visible as they're pretty much a core part of Technician's arsenal.
Or have the seen assemblies tied to ranks; each new rank you get would show new assemblies you'd then know how to make.

Perhaps there should also be a couple of secret recipes that could only be found by experimentation though...
Hell Baron Captain (0.9.9.6)
[25/19/9/0/0] m:25 sp:54 as:38

GrimmC

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43 »

I guessed both the double shotgun and rocket launcher advanced assemblies, along with plenty of basic ones.

But I also am not entirely happy with the current assemblies situation....it's slated to be modified in the next release.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 20:51 »

How about revealing what the required equipment is but not the mods (or name for advanced and master)? That will at least give people a starting point to guess from.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]
Pages: [1]