Chaosforge Forum

• July 26, 2024, 21:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Ironman actually good?  (Read 4118 times)

Madrik Rimesorrow

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Is Ironman actually good?
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:16 »

After reading some posts, I experimented a lot with various traits (IM, TaN, EE, SoaG  mainly) and I found that Ironman got me the farthest - lvl 12, 21370 pts. I used IM(3) and SoaG(2).  The next bests, above 10k pts, also had IM(3). Can anyone help clarify this? Is the bonus to HP slightly more beneficial than other traits?
They shall tremble, shall despair.
Forth the chill that hangs mid-air.
Anger, anguish, damage share.
Go now! Follow Terror's heir...

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Is Ironman actually good?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 09:24 »

Ironman is good, yes.  It's inevitable because it gives a significant boost to health, which means that large kits and the small health powerups go farther, you can take more hits before keeling over, and the fact that the 10 HP boost is immediate means that if you're low on health it's almost like getting half a small kit right away.  I don't take it very often because I prefer having weapons that blast the huge guts of my enemies to pieces in a short time span to having a beefy character that has to make do with a (mostly) generic weapon because I couldn't take the traits needed to make the awesome weapons (besides simply being lucky enough to find something truly awesome like an advanced chaingun).  But then, that's part of what makes the game interesting; not being able to get everything in one go. :)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 00:01 »

Methinks Badass should be under Ironman instead of TaN, because they support each other much better.

Madrik Rimesorrow

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 03:34 »

I thank you. Ideas appreciated. Say, could another trait be unlocked after getting IM(2)? (in some future version?) And what should it be?

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 06:10 »

Badass would've been ideal. If not Badass, regeneration would also be nice theme-wise, but unfortunately it's been discussed through and decided that it just won't fit to the game. Hmm, how 'bout... Something that'd add more durability for armor - 10 per level? - and make them stand more punishment without getting reallt damaged? Like, on the first level, all armor would give 1 AC point at minimum, even if they're in breaking point? While on the third level, even AA would always give that maximum 6 points, regardless it's condition?

Madrik Rimesorrow

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:36 »

Hmm... Nice idea. Maybe a possible feature of the future?

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 08:01 »

When I don't choose ironman in the beginning of a game,I always lose before lvl 10!So yeah,ironman is a really good stat.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 08:04 »

I personally prefer Eagle Eye in the beginning, tho: More HP won't help if enemies also hit you more. Though Ironman makes really good starting trait if you plan on playing with shotguns.

Madrik Rimesorrow

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 08:14 »

My sentiments in these two posts. Yes, I like shotguns - more gibs, decent damage. Also, using IM from the start has taken me to lvl 12 and above 10k pts on 6 occasions. This is what I usually do: IM -> IM -> IM -> then some other trait. I know, it is defensive, but when I tried any other traits to start off, I got wasted before 4k pts. That is what prompts me to stick to Ironman.
Pages: [1]