Chaosforge Forum

• July 26, 2024, 18:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [M|100%|YAAM] First play in a long while...  (Read 2409 times)

FrostyTheDragon

• Corporal
    • View Profile
[M|100%|YAAM] First play in a long while...
« on: April 17, 2010, 16:56 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.1) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Alex, level 10 Human Private, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 116402 turns and scored 97035 points.
 He played for 1 hour, 46 minutes and 7 seconds.
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 501 out of 501 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!

He saved himself 3 times.

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  Hell Champion Medal
  UAC Bronze Badge
  Veteran Bronze Badge
  Brick Bronze Badge
  Arena Bronze Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #..........................................................
  #............###...........................................
  #............###...................................###.....
  #............###...........###.....................###.....
  #..........................###................###..###.....
  #..........................###................###.......###
  #...............#.............................###.......###
  #.......................................................###
  #......................................###.................
  #..X.....}.............................###.................
  #......................###.............###..###............
  #......................###..................###............
  #.......##........###..###..................###............
  #.................#>#......................................
  #.................###......................................
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 50/50   Experience 48446/10
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +2  ToDmg Melee +2

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 2)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Whizkid          (Level 1)
    Triggerhappy     (Level 1)
    Ammochain        (Level 1)

Fin->Fin->SoB->SoB->TH->WK->MAc->HR->HR->DM->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   red armor [4/4] (65%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   modified BFG 9000 (10d8) [10/130] (B1T2)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   nothing
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   modified plasma rifle (1d8)x6 [40/40] (A2P1)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] modified missile launcher (6d6) [5/5] (A1B1T1)
    [b] red armor [1/4] (25%)
    [c] rocket (x12)
    [d] rocket (x14)
    [e] power cell (x50)
    [f] power cell (x70)
    [g] power cell (x70)
    [h] power cell (x70)
    [i] large med-pack
    [j] large med-pack
    [k] power mod pack
    [l] agility mod pack
    [m] bulk mod pack
    [n] firestorm weapon pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

81 former humans
    48 former sergeants
    27 former captains
    99 imps
    49 demons
    89 lost souls
    26 cacodemons
    15 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    25 hell knights
    19 arachnotrons
    1 former commando
    4 pain elementals
    6 arch-viles
    2 mancubi
    7 revenants
    2 bruiser brothers

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 6 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 7 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 9 he found Hell's Armory.
  On level 12 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 15 he encoutered the Phobos Hellgate.
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 he finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

footsteps...
 You feel vulnerable again.
 You start running!
 Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon
 fires! You are hit!
 You use a large med-pack. You feel fully healed.
 You are hit!
 Fire -- Choose target... 
 Fire -- Choose target... 
 You use a large med-pack. You feel fully healed.
 You reload the BFG 9000 with power cell.
 Fire -- Choose target... 
 Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the Cyberdemon.
 Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon
 dies. You feel relatively safe now. Congratulations! You defeated

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

He's the first brave soul to have ventured into Hell...

So what do I have to say about all this?  Well.... here's my notes log.

4/15/10 - 1530:
First six levels, plus Chained Court and The Arena (two saves mid-game to take short breaks - I'm not used to playing this on a laptop, so my wrists are in an odd position).  Was playing this in the campus lounge while an advertisement for a charity event (something about "Humans vs. Zombies") was being recorded.  I want to consider those people involved in organizing that event avid roleplayers, as they discuss roleplaying-related stuff every time I'm in that lounge area (Thursdays between classes), but I remember one of them saying "There's a difference between roleplaying and playing a game" at some point during the conversation.  Had to stop at Chained Court because I have one last class for the day in 15 minutes.

(Yeah, all three saves were from the first play session.)

4/17/10 - 1845:
Way too many WoW raids and work in a row.  Thankfully I have a little time for some more of this, and didn't bother with any more saves.  My strategy of going for Ammochain might have gotten derailed when I found the missile launcher in The Wall, had rockets been more plentiful.  Whatever, with all the mods I've been finding (I swear, they're way more plentiful than in the last version of DoomRL I'd played), I turned the missile launcher into a longterm secondary weapon.  The lack of any decent weapons in Hell's Armory was offset a bit by all those power cells (which I'm hoarding for a BFG, so I kept a bulk mod pack too).  I chose to carry minimal 10mm ammo into level 11, knowing a kill or two more would get me Ammochain... but the missile launcher was the true winner at the start of that level, seeing as I started in a room with about 10 imps and 3 hell knights and ALL of them were on the other side.

My first experience with napalm was in that room, luckily I wasn't right next to it... Geez, napalm EVERYWHERE on this map!  Level 12, just a city with too many powerups, and one lone commando - so upgrading to the plasma rifle was a given considering I had a few extra mods available to me.  Plasma rifle and Ammochain made the Halls of Carnage WAY too easy.

Well, that's different - I don't remember there being a special level before entering the Hell portion... and why an empty - oh shit, the walls collapsed!  Run to cover!  RUN!!..... phew, back to safety.  The trick would have been much more effective on a first-timer to it if they didn't have Ammochain already.  Also, the ending of that special level seems awfully familiar since I've played the original Doom....

Hell level 1, too many rockets.  Time to have some fun.  How I wound up playing the Hell levels up to level 5 was using the missile launcher whenever possible and resorting to the Plasma Rifle as a backup.  I also chose to skip all special levels after this point, not wanting to screw up a good run.

I didn't run out of rockets by Hell level 5, but I ran into some areas where I couldn't afford to use them.  I lost my phaseshift boots around Hell level 6 because of bad placement of the lava.  Were it not for my medkit stash this run would have been over.  I found a plasma shotgun on the way down but my game choice didn't really fit it so I played with it a bit then dropped it.

My dumbest move came on Hell level 9.  I wanted to start using the BFG9000, but I got a barrel level.  A NAPALM barrel level.  Needless to say, most of them got set off when I shot the first Arch-Vile there.

Cybie was a cakewalk.  Get him in position, run around the edge of a pillar, shoot BFG9000 around a corner.  Took six shots of the weapon.

So yeah, I enjoy this version and may go right back to playing on "Hurt Me Plenty" like I was before.

Also, I know I mention WoW in the notes log... well, my friends there already know of this game, so there went an advertising opportunity.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [M|100%|YAAM] First play in a long while...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 22:37 »

Just some notes on your notes.

My strategy of going for Ammochain might have gotten derailed when I found the missile launcher in The Wall, had rockets been more plentiful.  Whatever, with all the mods I've been finding (I swear, they're way more plentiful than in the last version of DoomRL I'd played), I turned the missile launcher into a longterm secondary weapon.

That IS a lot of mods.  You even had a firestorm just sitting around: I'd have gotten the second WK and really started modding like a madman.  A2 Plasma's pretty typical, but I always, always wait to max out bulks on a BFG, the best way to store plasma.  Though I guess you wanted to seal DM for your battle with Cybie...

Cybie was a cakewalk.  Get him in position, run around the edge of a pillar, shoot BFG9000 around a corner.  Took six shots of the weapon.

...except you didn't bother to.  Okay, so using the BFG is awesome, but that AND missile launcher AND your MAc is a little over-the-top.  On the other hand, you didn't really have inventory problems.  What were your chaingun mods like before you swapped for the plasma, anyway?

Well, that's different - I don't remember there being a special level before entering the Hell portion... and why an empty - oh shit, the walls collapsed!  Run to cover!  RUN!!..... phew, back to safety.  The trick would have been much more effective on a first-timer to it if they didn't have Ammochain already.  Also, the ending of that special level seems awfully familiar since I've played the original Doom....

Hellgate's a nasty little (mandatory) level.  Try using rockets first, it blows up walls nicely.

I didn't run out of rockets by Hell level 5, but I ran into some areas where I couldn't afford to use them.  I lost my phaseshift boots around Hell level 6 because of bad placement of the lava.  Were it not for my medkit stash this run would have been over.  I found a plasma shotgun on the way down but my game choice didn't really fit it so I played with it a bit then dropped it.

Phaseshift are great for running through lava, but that's no reason to let them wear out entirely.  That +15% MS is absolutely golden, and a quick T-mod negates the knockback issues.  With your setup, Phaseshift AT would have been awesome.  Were I in that situation I'd have probably taken them off just before they hit zero durability.

My dumbest move came on Hell level 9.  I wanted to start using the BFG9000, but I got a barrel level.  A NAPALM barrel level.  Needless to say, most of them got set off when I shot the first Arch-Vile there.

The fact that they were all napalm is typical of the floor you were on.  Phobos Hell has a crapton of napalm barrels in general (just like the Phobos Base 2 is ALWAYS just fuel barrels), so get used to it.  On the bright side, they're harder to explode.

Looks like a pretty easy run.  I'd go ahead and move up, unless you want to start on challenges.  HNTR is trivial unless you're running AoMs, or AoPc, or A100 (which is still relatively easy, but challenges you in different ways).
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

FrostyTheDragon

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: [M|100%|YAAM] First play in a long while...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:33 »

Yeah, the Firestorm I got way too late - by the time I realized I had it, I had no more room to get another level of Whizkid.  And yes, this being my first play in a long while, I wanted to make sure I had Dodgemaster for the Cyberdemon.

As for the Cybie strat - that's how the fight STARTED.  After about shot #4 I thought "I have medpacks, I have Dodgemaster, might as well guarantee my shots by actually seeing him."

Chaingun mods?  I think it was two agility and one power.

The phaseshift mistake is even more embarrassing because I was near a Megasphere at the time.
Pages: [1]