Chaosforge Forum

• October 06, 2024, 06:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Compilation of fixes, changes, and new ideas for version 0.9.9.9  (Read 13545 times)

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Compilation of fixes, changes, and new ideas for version 0.9.9.9
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2024, 12:49 »

Nightmare! currently does not show you the 10% speed debuff that is applied to all classes. It should probably be noted in the player statistics to ensure that people don't get confused about why they are getting double-moved on.
Hell Baron Captain [16/12/8/0/0]

TNT

• Private
  • Dynamite, alright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2024, 14:25 »

Fair enough on the ammo problem. Given that after a lot of firing, chainguns are super hot and keep on spinning a bit, maybe you could have the resistances last a couple of turns after you stop the chain fire be it voluntarily or if you ran out of ammo midway

I remember on the server we brought up maybe having it auto-reload which could be good/nice to also have but is also gated by having ammo - that can't really be addressed without something ultra drastic like ammo-chain sadly. You could try and move slightly in that direction by having so that while chain firing, you require less ammo to fully reload. Assuming that's doable you could even tie it to how many turns you've spent on chain fire.

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2024, 15:53 »

Scavenger mastery text needs to be updated to state that you can also scavenge boots and armor now.
Hell Baron Captain [16/12/8/0/0]

Omega Tyrant

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2024, 22:34 »

Got a bunch of new suggestions for badges and medals:

*Allow the Gargulec Medal to be obtained alongside Gargulec Cross

It was changed so that you could obtained lesser versions of medals alongside their greater versions if you haven't obtained them already, but as I found out when doing a 100% UV AoB run, you still cannot obtain Gargulec Medal alongside Gargulec Cross. If you've proven you can get 100% kills in AoB on UV or N!, you shouldn't be forced to do another 100% AoB run on a lower difficulty to get both medals.

*Add a new medal for defeating John Carmack without getting damaged

We have the Cyberdemon's Head and Mastermind's Brain for no damaging those respective bosses, and even Shambler's Head for beating Hell's Amory/Deimos Lab without damage, so why not an equivalent medal for the true final boss? I'm unsure for the name though, maybe "Keen's Helmet"?

*Add a new medal for completing a Conqueror run in any of the following challenges: Angel of Red Alert, Darkness, Impatience, Purity, and Masochism (while also requiring it to be a pure challenge, so it can't be cheesed by doing a dual angel with AoMC)

Seeing how Thomas' Medal exists for doing a Conqueror in Angel Of Humanity, I think we should also have a medal to acknowledge the achievement of doing Conqueror runs in these challenges where it's arguably as hard or even harder to complete a Conqueror run in (seeing how rarely they all been done, with me having firsts in two of them (AoI + AoD), a first in the pure challenge on UV for another (AoMs), and a second in one more of them (AoRA)). You could have one medal encompassing them all, or individual medals for each challenge. The potential name has to be discussed.

*Change Longinus Platinum to beating Unholy Cathedral without Brute on any difficulty, while also excluding Angel of Max Carnage and Angel of Light Travel from being able to earn it and Longinus Diamond

Current Longinus Platinum is just a check on if you can play Nightmare. You're able to play Nightmare well enough to make it to Unholy Cathedral? Then here's a free platinum for you, when any melee build will run through the Cathedral all the same regardless of difficulty, making it a very plain badge with no interesting challenge to it. Considering that beating Cathedral without Brute requires some ingenuity or particular technical play regardless of difficulty, it should be rewarded on difficulties below Nightmare. If you really don't want this badge being winnable on HNTR, then restrict it to HMP or at least UV. Current Longinus Diamond can stay as is, as beating the Cathedral on Nightmare without Brute does add some more depth to it (as the 10% speed penalty complicates speed-based strategies, and resurrecting complicates trying to utilize the Hatred Skull). I also want to propose disallowing Angel of Max Carnage and Angel of Light Travel from this badge, as they make it much easier, and apply the same restriction to Longinus Diamond as well.

*Add a new set of badges for The Chained Court

I find it weird how only a few special levels have complete badge sets related to them and some having no badges at all, so I think that should be rectified. The Chained Court is especially conspicuously absent with its complete lack of awards for it, given how it's one of the more iconic special levels and has a harder version that is ripe for challenges. As such, I propose the following badges for it:

Unchained Bronze: Clear The Chained Court after clearing Hell's Arena.
Unchained Silver: Clear The Chained Court after clearing Hell's Arena on HMP.
Unchained Gold: Clear The Chained Court after clearing Hell's Arena on UV in Angel of Shotgunnery (Shotguns have quite a bit more trouble here given the lack of good corner shooting spots and the inability to slug it out with the Barons and Arena Master from far range, but not too much more difficult as to merit beyond Gold).
Unchained Platinum: Clear The Chained Court after clearing Hell's Arena on UV in Angel of Impatience or Angel of Masochism (you got the berserks that can be easily destroyed by the Barons or Arena Master, or one Supercharge if you can get a well timed level up, making that all the healing you get, and you gotta do the annoying task of clearing Hell's Arena in AoI/AoMs first to even get an attempt).
Unchained Diamond: Clear The Chained Court after clearing Hell's Arena on N! in Angel of Purity (good usage of the Berserks is critical to beating the Unchained Court, especially on Nightmare, so having only the single berserk from the Chainsaw to work with should make this a worthy Diamond challenge, not to mention you have to beat Hell's Arena on Nightmare for every attempt, likely burning a lot of medkits in doing so).
Unchained Angelic: Clear The Chained Court after clearing Hell's Arena on N! in AoSh + AoP (essentially combining both the Gold and Diamond challenges together, not to mention on AoSh you're going to have a lot more complications with destroying the Baron corpses that will revive without the Arena Master's help, you really better make that Chainsaw berserk count).

*Add a new set of badges for Phobos Lab and Military Base

Phobos Lab and Military Base lacking any badges is more understandable as they arrived in 0.9.9.7, but they're still ripe for interesting badge challenges with them and so should have a set. They could have their own distinct set of badges given they're completely different levels, but I think they can work with a shared set to simplify things, so I propose the following (naming the badges after John Romero since he created both of these original Doom maps and currently he is conspicuously missing from any references in the game):

Romero Bronze: Clear Phobos Lab or Military Base on HNTR.
Romero Silver: Clear Phobos Lab or Military Base on UV (gotta at least deal with the Nightmare Demons or the full Elite Former squad for the Silver).
Romero Gold: Clear Military Base on UV in Angel of Impatience (thus you must clear it without being able to manipulate the Elite Formers to favorable positions with gift dropping, and camping the start will leave you with no means to heal).
Romero Platinum: Clear Phobos Lab on UV in Angel of Marksmanship without Sharpshooter (getting Sharpshooter allows you to reliably knockback the Nightmare Demons and thus makes an otherwise brutal challenge a lot more manageable, so it should be disallowed, but it would still be fine enough to implement without any trait restriction).
Romero Diamond: Clear Phobos Lab or Military Base on UV in Angel of Red Alert (while extremely extremely difficult, I think this can be doable without Angelic tier luck if you specifically gear your build all towards it).
Romero Angelic: Clear Phobos Lab or Military Base on N! in Angel of Red Alert (this one I'm not sure is even possible, but the extra level or two and extended powerup duration you get in Nightmare could make it barely doable with lots of rockets for gibbing + rocket jumping).

*Add a new set of badges for Hell's Armory and Deimos Lab

Another special level pair that weirdly lack a badge set, only having two basic medals, and again they very much make for good challenges. As such, I propose the following badges:

Quake Bronze: Enter Hell's Armory or Deimos Lab and leave without releasing the Shambler(s) (Avoiding making it the same as the Hell Armorer medal).
Quake Silver: Clear Hell's Armory or Deimos Lab on HMP
Quake Gold: Clear Hell's Armory or Deimos Lab on UV in Angel of Confidence (thus clearing them with only a couple levels and minimal equipment, but given the ease at which you can grind runs for this, it shouldn't be higher than Gold).
Quake Platinum: Clear Deimos Lab on UV in Angel of Masochism or Angel of Humanity without Berserker (thus you must beat the dual Shamblers without being able to heal nor activate run more than once, or in a challenge where even with ideal armor you can't take more than a few hits inbetween medkits, and without Berserker being able to greatly increase your durability against them, while also excluding Hell's Armory as it is too much easier to be an appropriate Platinum challenge).
Quake Diamond: Clear Deimos Lab on UV without taking damage, excluding the Angel of Max Carnage and Angel of Light Travel challenges (beating the dual Shamblers without getting hit is so hard that the devs didn't even bother programming in any extra reward for doing it like with Hell's Armory, so it should be worth a Diamond badge without playing Nightmare, just disallow AoMC and AoLT from getting this badge since they will make this badge much easier).
Quake Angelic: I'm not sure, perhaps clear Deimos Lab on N! without taking damage in Angel of Berserk, Angel of Marksmanship, or Angel of Shotgunnery (aside from the extra HP the Shamblers will have and the 10% speed penalty complicating manners, the weapon locked challenges will also complicate disposing of the Shamblers' corpses without lucky equipment finds, making it more distinct than just "same as Quake Diamond but a bit harder").

The Brick, Skull, Spider, and Lava series could be completed as well, and Halls of Carnage could use a badge set too, but I'll leave those free for anyone else to suggest new badges for them.

*In House Of Pain, seal off the Large Health Globes behind walls/doors that require the Arena Master's Staff to open

After very thorough playing with House Of Pain, I find it is still a bit too easy. While I think the Demons could still be replaced with their Nightmare version on UV/N!, the big culprit for the lacking difficulty is the four Large Health Globes, that means I almost never need to expend any medkits on this level. Additionally, saving the Arena Master's Staff for House Of Pain isn't rewarding enough on this level (in the beta testing when The Vaults was disabled, I never bothered bringing the Staff along since it didn't make a meaningful difference, and in official 0.9.9.8 I often forget the Staff is even an option for this level, if I just don't ditch it once I see House of Pain spawned instead of The Vaults). As such, I want to propose requiring the Staff to access the Health Globes, so this level is a lot more likely to burn your resources without the Staff, thus more encouraging you to bring and use the Staff here.

*Increase the Blaster's generation weight to 4

The Blaster currently has a generation weight of 2, which makes it as rare as most uniques. The Blaster is certainly very good, it's arguably the best thing a Pistol build can find, but it's not so good as to be made as rare as a Nuclear BFG, especially when it's still near worthless for any non-Pistol build. Increasing its generation weight to 4 would be more appropriate, and this would make it equivalent to a Nuclear Plasma Rifle, a similar innate nano weapon that has more utility for builds beyond those specializing in its weapon type.

*Have the Ballistic Armor assembly retain plasma and acid resistances from its base

The Ballistic Armor did get a nice buff in 0.9.9.8, but something I noticed that I didn't before is that if the base armor has any plasma or acid resistances, they'll be removed entirely when used for this assembly. The -20% fire resistance is already a harsh enough drawback, removing other energy resistances is just excessive, and in particular makes using Blue Armor very bad for this assembly. This also isn't inline with Fireproof Armor, which retains the base armor's other resistances.

*Have Grappling Boots retain the base boots' movement speed instead of being -10%

Grappling Boots is one of the least used assemblies in the game. There is a theoretical niche for it with melee builds that are getting annoyed by too much by knockback, for Invulnerable stair diving if VMR are knocking you around too much as you try to get to the stairs or for anyone that's really paranoid about getting knocked back into lava. But any such non-Invuln use for it is killed by the -10% movement speed, and the set -10% movement speed also means if someone dislikes the knockback boost of Phaseshift Boots, they can't use this assembly on it to get knockback resistance + increased movement speed. Grappling Boots would still rarely be made if they retained the base boots' speed, but if they didn't slow you down, there could be instances where you would consider it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 08:48 by Omega Tyrant »
0.9.9.8 Badges - [26|26|25|15|3|0] (26/26/26/17/5/0 in 0.9.9.7)
0.9.9.8 Medals - 38/50 (35/43 in 0.9.9.7)
Pages: 1 [2]  All