Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 23:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Monster's Player Locator  (Read 3129 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Monster's Player Locator
« on: August 18, 2007, 03:32 »

As in, when I shoot a monster while outside its sight range, it'll be able to locate me. This is good. However, I feel that you've taken it a bit too far.

See, when I have Inituition x3, and I shoot a monster, it'll come closer. Sure, that's fine. But let's say that I'd retreat behind a wall afterwards, changing my location, and the monster would still be able to find me. When I move alongside the wall, the monster on the other side of it will move to the same direction as well. As in, me firing it in the first place would've launched its own Inituition x3. Methinks this is a bit unrealistic, because it can't possibly know where I am when I'ven't given away my location. Would be nice if it'd only go to the place I shot it from, and then be all "Now where did that player guy go? Damn, I'm confused."

And speaking of Inituition, wouldn't it be better if I could also see how much one lever can be used? Like, on the first level I know if it's beneficial or what, while on the second level I know what exactly it can do. I reckon it'd be nice if on the third level, I'd also know that the MediTech depot works two times. This'd be helpful and all that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:36 by Potman »

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Monster's Player Locator
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:02 »

That's right,but don't forget that in the original Doom the monsters also keep knowing where you are if you first shot them.In fact I'm a little afraid that with all those new requested features,the feeling of playing "Doom" and all it's characteristics will get lost.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 06:29 »

The Doom feeling is coming from a compeletely different place than keeping the game similar to the original.

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 06:42 »

Quote from: Potman
Methinks this is a bit unrealistic, because it can't possibly know where I am when I'ven't given away my location. Would be nice if it'd only go to the place I shot it from, and then be all "Now where did that player guy go? Damn, I'm confused."

I think, realistically speaking, you give away your position when you open fire on it with a chaingun :-P.

Personally, arguments to implement features in game purely for realism irritate the hell out of me but since Kornel has (if I remember correctly) stated that he likes his games to be realistic I won’t open that can of worms. If this to be implemented, then it seems to me that it will be relatively easy to start to abuse Intuition trait the way it has being before. All you would have to do is: fire – move out of sight – fire again – repeat. Doing this in circles you could kill anyone with out taking any damage given certain amount of space to manoeuvre. So basically I think that this is a bad idea. Also I don’t think you should think of Doom daemon spawn as Terry Pratchett trolls. It’s nothing against Terry Pratchett, of course, it’s just, in my opinion, the two settings don’t mesh in a slightest. I think you could easily make a realism argument that the daemons soul is unforgiving and they use their supernatural powers to track you down regardless of the laws of physics. Well that’s my two cent anyway.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 07:18 »

I think, realistically speaking, you give away your position when you open fire on it with a chaingun :-P.

Sure sure, but I was talking about what'll happen after it. The demon goes to where I was, but since I had fled out of sight he can't find me anymore.

I think you could easily make a realism argument that the daemons soul is unforgiving and they use their supernatural powers to track you down regardless of the laws of physics. Well that’s my two cent anyway.

Would otherwise be pretty reasonable, except for the question of why don't they use it before you shoot at them?

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 08:00 »

You could say that by shooting them you have moved yourself from the mental list of "puny humans" to their %&@! list. Hence they don’t spare any effort to find you and kick the crap out of you only after you shoot at them. Besides, this doesn’t addresses the fact that this realism feature will (if I’m right) bring us back to the inbalance of the previous incantation of Intuition trait. I don’t think anyone wants that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 11:03 by tisiphone »
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.
Pages: [1]