Chaosforge Forum

• May 10, 2024, 03:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Spider's Lair  (Read 6051 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Spider's Lair
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:09 »

I dunno guys, from all the posts here, and all those strategy guides in the Wiki, I've gained the impression that this level's something close of impossible. But really, I've never failed it once. Hell, I'm pretty certain the spiders've never even laid a finger (or plasma bullet) on me!

So how come you think it's so hard?

knlbr

• Lance Corporal
  • yuo is teh doom 'd'd'd
    • View Profile
Re: Spider's Lair
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 13:22 »

a single arachnotron is already trouble, imagine 8 of them.
at the same time.
that's mostly why people say it's nigh impossible. :S

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 13:41 »

Personally i never feared Spider's Lair. The only reason why i'm not visiting it often is because in 0987 the reward for clearing it is too small to compensate at least loss of ammo.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 23:20 »

Try Spider's Lair without moving into one of the teleporters (or at all, even) if you think it isn't challenging. :D

I've done it, it's possible, in fact it's probably easier on AoMr, but it will surely have you biting your nails. :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 23:22 by BDR »

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 06:47 »

Try Spider's Lair without moving into one of the teleporters (or at all, even) if you think it isn't challenging. :D

I've done it, it's possible, in fact it's probably easier on AoMr, but it will surely have you biting your nails. :P

Never liked idea of making anything in my life harder if i could make it easier.))

knlbr

• Lance Corporal
  • yuo is teh doom 'd'd'd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 14:47 »

Never liked idea of making anything in my life harder if i could make it easier.))

that's probably the best way to live your life

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 14:56 »

that's probably the best way to live your life

Yep!) And i like that way.))

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 23:35 »

Doesn't your taking on challenges like the pacifistic one where you attempted to go through the whole game without killing any monsters sort of contradict that idea, though?

And the suggestion was simply a way to make it more interesting.  If you want it to be designed harder, Kornel can certainly do so. :P

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 13:35 »

Doesn't your taking on challenges like the pacifistic one where you attempted to go through the whole game without killing any monsters sort of contradict that idea, though?

And the suggestion was simply a way to make it more interesting.  If you want it to be designed harder, Kornel can certainly do so. :P

They are slightly the different things. Killess game is fun and interesting for me, and entertaining for you, and in the end i can proudly say that game was won without killing anyone. But clearing of Spider's Lair without teleporters is just pain in ass, even with teleporters it's a level that is not worth visiting, and in the end, when posting mortem, i don't think that i will write somewhere that i had cleared Spider's Lair without teleporters, and even if i will, i don't think that any people who will read this, will notice it as a great deed.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 03:21 »

Now see, that's the part of disagreement; to me when I did this on AoMr, the first time it was so blasted easy with bullet-time speed that I was amazed, then the second time (on a more mod-limited version) I tried the same thing, life was exciting enough that it was fun for me.  I can see how, doing DoomRL lots and lots of times, this sort of idea would seem too simple to really liven things up much nor be worth the trouble, but I felt it to be an experience worth sharing regardless. :)  I never said it was a *big* challenge, but sometimes the small hurdles are fun to go through as well.

Ruin368

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 00:13 »

i dunno it was really easy for me i play UV and had a BFG which with two shots took them all out Without moving.but the reward sucked so i never went back.
but its still fun
just not with anything elsesorry i keep doing the special stuff first post ever

Darkwaterotter

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 14:11 »

The first time i did the spiders lair i died pretty instantaneously because i didnt see the teleporters until it was too late
but the next time i tried it i went to a teleporter and it was easier than the forge... ok not that easy
Pages: [1]