Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 16:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: you killed the cybie - let's have all the fun again  (Read 3614 times)

ul

• Private
    • View Profile
you killed the cybie - let's have all the fun again
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:37 »

i do not know, if anyone has ever suggested it, and please forgive me for not digging through
all the old messages (i'm quite new here) but here it is, my latest flash of inspiration:

ok, you were victorious. congratulations, the terrifying cyberdemon is blown to bits.
well, one day i'll figure out, how to get down those stars i see on the map in the game summary,
but still, i have a itch for more. not more as a another beginner marine, i just got my cool weapons
and beefed myself up for the final fight (or more likely, dragged myself here by some miracle)
and now the biggest and baddest monster is dead and there's nothing left to kill.

i'd like to get another go.
perhaps it would be cool, if you could go back to the beginning, with all or most of your gear,
and with all the exp & traits and start a new game with +1 difficulty level.

it could work two ways - after the victorious game you could just be prompted if you want
another game with higher difficulty, or when you start a new game you could just choose
between victorious but retired characters.

personally, i don't think that the +1 difficulty for a new game must be mandatory, but somehow
it just sounds logical. on the other hand, if you just want to have some turkeyhunt fun,
you can send in your 12+ level supermarine and hunt some imps on the easiest skill.

naturally, for those with patience it would end up with characters who have 100+ levels
and no chance to use all the exp as all the skills are maxxed out. well, then either just
start fresh then, but perhaps for such occasions, you can get (for all or for selected) a higher
maximal level for skills for every time you win with the same marine.
example: you max out both the s.o.b. and intuition traits, both at level 3 with your first game.
after you start another, you still can't get higher intuition, because each level of that trait
means something special (and must be implemented), but s.o.b. just gives you this bonus
damage and that can (theoretically) increase without any ceiling. so, with your second game,
intuition will still be left at 3, but s.o.b. could be increased to 6. and then 9 and 12 and.... (ouch)
another formula could be : original max (3), then + (original max - game) that would give us
sequence 3, 5, 6 and that's it. or, 3,5,6,7,8....
another limitation would naturally be a need for monsters to get the exp needed for ridiculously
high levels. you might end up going through a round of entire game just to get from level 99 to 100.

ok, blabbered long enough. hopefully i didn't drown my point into the sea of talkalot again ;)

Mr_Dead

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: you killed the cybie - let's have all the fun again
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 06:12 »

I don't like the idea.  You'd be able to survive soooo easily with a lv10 charcter who's holding a fully upgraded advanced weapon or a certain melee weapon right off the bat, it'd just take the fun out of it.
Endure.  In enduring grow strong.

ul

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:14 »

well... yes, it would make subsequent games easier (of course, only if you use it)
some might like it if they just want to have some easy fun, but some might want to try different things.
it would give opportunity to try things, that need a lot of exp and preliminary work,
like different (and interesting) high level combinations of traits and extremely modded superweapons.

most important thing is, that this opportunity to continue must be optional.

when cheats were discussed, many had an oppinoin, that easy life must be earned, one way or other,
and such easiness should not be achieved before it's actually a bit less necessary.

well, my idea id (imho) a lot like that....

Mr_Dead

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:35 »

You already have the opportunity to get high level combinations of traits and to completely max out any advanced weapon.  And easy fun?  Is taking the challenge out of a game really fun?  You'd be able to collect every trait to the fullest, which would make you able to take just about anything on.

The only way I'd really see your idea work *and probably like it* is if your charcter went on to Deimos Base like he's supposed to...then there's merit there.
Endure.  In enduring grow strong.

Const

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:24 »

perhaps it would be cool, if you could go back to the beginning, with all or most of your gear,
and with all the exp & traits and start a new game with +1 difficulty level.

Why only +1? After finishing the game, even Nightmare must be easier than ITYTD on normal game. The main problem in UV and nightmare - to reach high player level, after that the game isn't so hard.

[qote] but perhaps for such occasions, you can get (for all or for selected) a higher
maximal level for skills for every time you win with the same marine.[/quote]

For what? In current beta, SoaB3 + TH2 + chaingun = death incarnate. And Soab 4 must be stronger - for what?

it would give opportunity to try things, that need a lot of exp and preliminary work,
like different (and interesting) high level combinations of traits

For examle, what can be such combination?

extremely modded superweapons.

You can play the AoMr, and get extremely modded superpistol. It is enough - for other weapons, such challenges can be too easy, or too hard.
Badges [B/S/G/P/D]
16/12/5/1/0

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 13:58 »

The basic idea sounds like the "New Game+" feature that many console games have.
While I'm not against the idea, but also never found any use for it either, I don't think it would be of much use in a game as short as DoomRL.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 15:05 »

New Game+ works in RPGs primarily because those are both long affairs with good stories that people might want to experience all over again and because that gives designers the opportunity to put things in that are either too hard/too cheap for a normal playthrough or to put in extra things within the game that you'd only notice/appreciate on a second way through with the extra knowledge/abilities gained on the first trip through the game.  DoomRL has very little story to speak of, super-tough/cheap bosses/enemies are somewhat questionable additions even in RPGs that grant New Game+ (to put it simply, such things are unbalanced by design, though they can add some fun, and technically DoomRL already has one in the form of what comes after the hidden staircase in the Phobos Arena), and for a three hour game there's not much room to add little extras.  As for your suggested uses: being able to try out a new but tricky playstyle is an inherently flawed reason to add this, because no matter how you add this up you will always start and end the next game with more traits than it would be possible to achieve in a regular, non-sequential game; thus it'd be impossible to actually play whatever way you choose to play in the second run in a normal run without significant changes to both the style of play and the difficulty of playing in that particular fashion; thus it'd be absolutely worthless for any non-New Game+ play learning.  Being able to just turkeyhunt with ease is only fun if there's a chance of dying; once that dissappears the fun usually lasts about 5 minutes and then quietly dies, and as mentioned, even the higher difficulties turn into turkeyhunts with the kind of traits you get over the course of even just an ITYTD game.  Given all this, I don't think this would enhance DoomRL at all.
Pages: [1]