Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 20:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Experience For Bleeding Deaths  (Read 4624 times)

Sdlonyer55

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Experience For Bleeding Deaths
« on: December 05, 2007, 06:50 »

As near as I can tell, you gain no experience from bleeding deaths. This seems incorrect. Similarly, I think it would be great if you could get experience when you do most of the damage but the target dies to toxic waste or lava. Were it reasonably possible to code, I'd think it'd be best to award experience for any kill that the players does 50+% of the relevant damage.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:02 by Sdlonyer55 »

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Experience For Bleeding Deaths
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 14:38 »

Technically, I've found that if the baddie in question dies from the very first bleed incurred by a gunshot, you do get the experience, but not otherwise.  I have no idea how easy/hard this'd be to code for both bleeding and floor damage, but certainly in the case of bleeding deaths this seems reasonable.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 14:44 »

I don't like it when it comes to melee. These better weapons such as a chainsaw or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
often cause bleeding after an attack. And so I don't recieve an exp ! :(

Sdlonyer55

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 09:24 »

It's interesting to hear that the first bleeding tick gives experience. Perhaps I haven't paid close attention, I don't remember ever seeing an experience tick from a bleeding kill whatsoever.

This may be one of those things that is more trouble to code than it is ultimately worth. Then again, I think you may as well get experience for all kills, even the ones you create by causing crossfires. Not to award experience kind of implies those aren't 'kosher' methods of killing, and starting crossfires was not only a mainstay but directly designed into tons of Doom levels. Not only that, but it typically creates much more risk trying to do it in DoomRL than it ever did in Doom, and where there's risk, there ought to be reward.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 15:14 »

The problem is DoomRL tracks who killed what, to handle (unfortunately invisible) monster experience. Sure I could change it so the player would get all experience for all kills, but that would destroy the planned feature of monster infighting... And the game can't track who did the bleeding separately.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Sdlonyer55

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 22:01 »

The problem is DoomRL tracks who killed what, to handle (unfortunately invisible) monster experience. Sure I could change it so the player would get all experience for all kills, but that would destroy the planned feature of monster infighting... And the game can't track who did the bleeding separately.

I've experience this, having seen a monster gain a level in a particularly large crossfire. Maybe if you want to address the bleeding issue, you can simply make it so any bleeding related death yields player experience, assuming they were somehow involved. There are probably more player caused bleeding deaths than non-player caused.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:33 »

Personally, I think you should get XP for dead monsters, period. Monsters could be trapped in lava or something due to your cleverness. And if they're not... I don't care, they're still dead, and you were on the level. You'd get credit for the kill in the real Doom, wouldn't you?

PS: Okay, that post was before reading the thread.

THE XP SYSTEM IS USED FOR INFIGHTING WHAT

Sorry, that's just... completely bonkers. Seems to me it'd be much simpler to give each monster a little table/array/whatever it's called that contains "has this thing attacked me yet" flags.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:35 by 007bistromath »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 12:41 »

Personally, I'd like to ask a bit diffrent question - Is bleeding really needed? I mean think about it - except for occasional looses of experience it causes and even more occasional savings by monster bleeding/death by bleeding (happened maby... once in my life?) it's a feature we don't even notice. Well okay, there is monster-bleeding lever effect, but that one could just deal damage for the same effect.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 12:49 »

Yeah, I'm with him on that one. Bleeding is mainly an annoyance. Especially when I power through a room full of ow with my virile tactical prowess and oops crap I didn't stop bleeding fast enough silly me I need to start over now. -_-

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 12:54 »

Post to butracker
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 12:59 »

Personally, I'd like to ask a bit diffrent question - Is bleeding really needed? I mean think about it - except for occasional looses of experience it causes and even more occasional savings by monster bleeding/death by bleeding (happened maby... once in my life?) it's a feature we don't even notice. Well okay, there is monster-bleeding lever effect, but that one could just deal damage for the same effect.

As long as it's removed from the player as well (i.e., we don't bleed), I support its removal. Keeps it balanced that way.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 13:39 »

Post to butracker
Oh no, I don't mean to say I've ever bled for an extremely screwed up amount of time. Just that bleeding out my last 15% after tearing a hole in the side of Hell gives me frikkin' ulcers. I don't think there's a bug.
Pages: [1]