Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 01:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: backpack  (Read 5481 times)

packrat

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
backpack
« on: December 24, 2005, 01:51 »

How will the backpack be implemented? I see several options.

a) An item which gives more inventory slots, this would be probably a problem to implement.

b) Like in Alphaman, or bags in Nethack: an item that, when (u)sed, gives additional storage where you can put extra stuff. "You use the backpack. Do you want to (p)ut or (t)ake things?" You can have only one of a kind. Initially should be filled with ammunition, as in Doom.

c) Double the maximum amount of ammunition that you can store in one slot. This is similar to DOOM.

d) A slot that can store ammunition (e.g. 300 bullets, 150 shells, 30 rockets, 120 cells, all in one slot, or maybe just 480 cells in one slot). You can have only one of a kind. Close to DOOM.

I think b) is the best, and probably the easiest to implement.

BTW I usually hate roguelike games with tiny limited inventory, but the DoomRL system is very good. (In the Angband inventory I am annoyed by the fact that I can carry 99 potions of one kind, but I cannot carry 30 different rings.)

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
backpack
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 02:52 »

a) Kornel allready said somewhere that more inventory slots would be a big problem to implement, so it's not likely

b) I think this might give problems too, depending on how the code for inventory related menus is right now. Since i doubt Kornel foresaw this usage of backpacks, i think it's not very easy to do.

c) This might be the easiest solution and i have a feeling that if backpacks get implemented this will be the way to go

d) Well.. kind of a silly solution if you ask me...

I usually dislike limited inventories in a roguelike too, but as you pointed out, the system here in DoomRL is very good. I personally wouldn't mind if it didn't change at all, as it is not too hard to win the game with this limited inventory. Offcourse i will have to wait and see if a nightmare mode v0.9.9 game is at least possible before saying 'nay' to backpacks.

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
backpack
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 04:47 »

Quoting: Turgor
I personally wouldn't mind if it didn't change at all, as it is not too hard to win the game with this limited inventory.

What? this game is the hardest of all time to me >_<

I would hate option B, I don't want to waste time puting things and removing things from my backpack. Im more for C).

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
backpack
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 06:30 »

Doubling amount of carried ammo would be too much, as it will practically eliminate resource management part of the game.

Options a, b and d seem to clutter interface too much (and harder to code).

If backpacks should ever be implemented (and I have doublts that there is any necessity for them) it should be option b, but adding something more like 20% of capacity rather than double.

Gutter

• Private FC
    • View Profile
backpack
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 17:10 »

I see another solution. Instead of adding slots, why not remove slots from the starting character to add them later (when the backpack is picked up)

The backpack would become a very important item that way.

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
backpack
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 03:14 »

Quoting: Gutter
I see another solution. Instead of adding slots, why not remove slots from the starting character to add them later (when the backpack is picked up)

The backpack would become a very important item that way.

No.. I already think the inventory is pretty tight. And, dont take it personal, but I HATE it when a game changes something so you need an item to recover the same effect...

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
backpack
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 03:41 »

Quoting: jake250
I HATE it when a game changes something so you need an item to recover the same effect...

Never happened to me, but I can imagine the frustration.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Almafeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
backpack
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 21:31 »

Or make 'extra carrying capacity' a trait.  =p

Gutter

• Private FC
    • View Profile
backpack
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 21:09 »

Quoting: jake250
No.. I already think the inventory is pretty tight. And, dont take it personal, but I HATE it when a game changes something so you need an item to recover the same effect...

I am not taking that personnaly. I mean Doom was like that, I didn't invent the concept.

And DoomRL is not to ver 1.0 yet, so anything that change is no really a change, its a feature...

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
backpack
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 00:46 »

I actually think that a Packman (no pun intended ^_^) trait would be the best... It would work by increasing the maximum amount of ammo per slot. I would tweak the gain so it would be truly beneficient to take it instead of the combat traits.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Gezol

• Private FC
    • View Profile
backpack
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 06:05 »

Maybe it's just the way I play, but I don't think I care for the idea of a Packman trait much- from my perspective, it would be extremely powerful, basically mandatory in fact. I could even see taking one level of Tough As Nails and then nothing else but Packman. Trying to keep enough ammo and still have room for med packs, weapons, and armor is one of the biggest challenges of the game for me, and I suspect having that trait would make the game much easier for me. Easier, in fact, to the point of being less fun.

Of the ideas talked about here, the idea of finding a backpack that gives a one shot increase to the maximum ammo per slot is most appealing to me. It's true to the original, and you could put it on a special level and make getting it a tough challenge. Maybe beef up the difficulty of Hell's Armory and put it there... in any case, I see an increase to ammo carrying capacity as a HUGE advantage, so I think the player should have to work for it.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
backpack
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 02:02 »

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
Packman

Me thinks that Packrat (like in Fallout) sounds better ^^
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1]