Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Adding LOH (Line Of Hearing)  (Read 4879 times)

Gutter

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Adding LOH (Line Of Hearing)
« on: January 04, 2006, 05:57 »

Doom was always about hearing the ennemies. The only reason I finished Doom I and II was because I was using headphones and I could hear the monster coming (left, right, etc).

So what about having a "Line Of Hearing"? It would have a greater range than the LOS, and would peg little '?' on the map, when something is heard but not seen.

And with something like this implemented, the monster could be set in a 'ambush' mode, like in Doom (where they didn't attack or look for the player unless they heard him)

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:38 »

I doubt it.

A better solution would be to have advanced settings where you could specify what sort of sound system you had, Be it anything between headphones to 5.1 SS (Surroundsound ftw!) and thereon play a sound in the rough direction of the monster and amplify/soften the volume to fit distance..

Really an ? mark appearing once every few steps would get out of hand and IMHO wouldent make a fun feature

Good thought though

Gutter

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 15:10 »

I don't see how surround sound would make thing better. You play the part of a guy who always look the same way. Sure you could have the sounds coming for the right place, but it would only reinforce the feeling that the '@' is eternally strafing...

And a '?' would show you the ennemies outside your LOS without IDing them. It would be up to the player to shoot it (some players like to shoot outside the LOS)

And SS wouldn't allow for ennemy's ambush, like in Doom.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 23:54 »

Anyone who can't do this without a LOH is worse than me... I can almost always tell:

1. Which direction an enemy is moaning from. *cough play with headphones cough*
2. The general location of them, simply by the volume of their moan. (i.e. if I pinpoint a specific place, it's usually within 6 or so squares of that.)

Really, this would not be needed UNLESS I'm the only one who can do this, or if it's only for the no_sound version.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 00:08 »

Quoting: Gutter
Doom was always about hearing the ennemies.

and so is DoomRL.. i seriously don't know why you're asking for this feature, as it would clutter up the display, while being unnessecary. Like Thomas said, you can pinpoint an enemies location quite accurate, even without headphones!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 00:10 »

It's easier with headphones... I guess if the speakers were on each side of you so you knew what was left and what was right.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 00:12 »

heh yes i was just gonna edit that in.. my audio system isn't exactly "lightweight" too btw.. ;)

but still, if you just have you left speaker to your left, and your right speaker to your right, it should be enough imo..

Glowie

• IRC-Op
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Frozen Depths
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 16:31 »

I think the ? sign appearing on the screen wouldn't be that bad if implemented correctly. A new command for listening: every time you use it there would be a certain chance to hear something (and there could be talents to improve this skill). You couldn't always hear anything or sometimes only partially so the ? wouldn't be on the exact spot of the enemy.

This skill would be pretty valuable on the later levels. Sneaking past enemies, attacking only one at a time and such if your ammo/health kit amount is low.

And the manually targeting monsters out of line of sight wouldn't be a problem. I think I heard somewhere that Kornel is going to delete that feature (damn!). Though this isn't 100% sure, I just recall hearing about it.

Also roguelikes usually don't have sounds so I think it would be good to have non-sound hearing system too. I often listen to music when playing DoomRL so I don't hear the sounds always :)

Obscillesk

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 04:59 »

I dunno, LOH seems like it would make cateye worthless, even though the new version is supposed to fix all that

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 19:30 »

Bad idea, IMHO.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]