Chaosforge Forum

• May 12, 2024, 08:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Level generation - AI: weird feature  (Read 4448 times)

Flap

Level generation - AI: weird feature
« on: February 05, 2006, 18:53 »

It would be fun if the level generation was described in separate files (such as  one dll per level). So user could designe their own level.

There would for exemple be a txt file (or an other dll, to make it less obvious to figure out) telling at which depth, what is the probability of generating a specific kind of level

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 04:53 »

If the player can make level then there should be an editor or something. Otherwise I don't like the point... can't find the word to tell why, but I don't like it.

flap

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:43 »

Well, it does not deal with creating fixed levels, but new algoritms (level types, like hellish caves...).

Would it be good or bad ? Hmm good question. DoomRL is very basic. And is good because of this. If ever someone else creates something, it would create a profusion of "games" instead of one single DoomRL and make it much more complicated. (and everybody would have a different experience. So discussion, comparison would not be that easy). The risk is seeing plenty of branches spreading allaround

On the other hand, as it is basic (there is a limited number of monsters and interractions), it would be easy to push the limits of levels creations. And get the best of it. If the "modability" focusses only on level generation, the branch spreading is not that bad : You simply are visiting other places. But in exactly the same world,a nd references (who is tough, which weapon is good...). So I wouldn't be against* that little bit of moddability, so  long the rest of the game keeps untouched.

(*: of course I woudln't be against : it is a proposal I made... Silly me)

Technically, I think that it is not very difficult to have the programm to call a function in a dll instead of one in the exe file.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 19:23 »

You'll need to copy it to a fixed width notepad to view it correctly:
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 19:23 »

#name:Halls of Carnage:
#fillall:7:
#fill:2:2:77:19:1:
#deftile:.:1:0:0:
#deftile:W:7:0:0:
#deftile:X:9:0:0:
#deftile:#:8:0:0:
#deftile:%:10:0:0:
#deftile:,:5:0:0:
#deftile:+:12:0:0:
#deftile:>:11:0:0:
#deftile:3:1:0:3:
#deftile:5:1:0:5:
#deftile:7:1:0:7:
#deftile:6:1:0:6:
#deftile:8:1:0:8:
#deftile:9:1:14:9:
#deftile:?:1:5:0:
#deftile:!:1:25:0:
#deftile:^:1:17:0:
#deftile:=:17:0:0:
#deftile:|:1:11:0:
#deftile:[:19:0:0:
#tile:.................................#.|..|..|.#...#..===..X.......6 ............:
#tile:........................................3..%...#,.===7.X..XXXXXX XXX.XXXXXXX.:
#tile:...#%%##+##........#...###%%##...........,,%...[,.===..[..X..... ....6.......:
#tile:...#.,,...#........#.......,,#..........,,,#...#,.===..X..X.XXXX .XXXXXXXX.X.:
#tile:...#..........3....#.3.......#...#####+#%%##...#..===..X..X6X.8. ........X.X.:
#tile:...+...............#.........#.................#..===..X..X.X.XX XXXXX.X.X.X.:
#tile:...#,..3...........+...,,,...#.........#.......#.7===..X..X.X.X. ..9...X...X6:
#tile:...#%#........######..#%%##............#...#...#,.===..X..X.X.X. WWWWW.X.X.X|:
#tile:.,,,..................#......#......3.,%...#...[,.=^=..[..X.X.X. W|!|W.X.X..^:
#tile:......................#...,,.%.......,,%...%,..#,.===..X6.X.X.X. W...W.X.X.X|:
#tile:...##%%+######........#..3,,,%......,,.#..,%,..#..===..X..X.X.X. W[WWW.X.X.X.:
#tile:...#..,......+...........,,..#...##%%%##...%...#..===..X..X.X.X. ....9.X...X.:
#tile:...#......,3.#..........##%%%#.............#...#,.===7.X..X.X.XX XXXXXXX.X...:
#tile:...#.....##%%#........................######...[,.===..[..X.X8.. .....8..X.X.:
#tile:......................................#........#,.===..X..X.XXXX XX.XXXXXX.X.:
#tile:.,,######..........####%%%##+###......+...3....#.7===..X..X6.... ..........X6:
#tile:.,,+^|..#......3...#,,,,,.3...........#........#..===..X..XXXXX. XXXXX.XXXXX.:
#tile:.,,#>|..#..........#.,,,................3......#..===..X........ .6..........:
#puttile:2:2:
#visited:3:
#player:8:18:
#script:ONENTER:4:2:0:
$
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 19:26 »

Does that answer some questions? ^_^

Also -- I plan to add full Lua support to the DoomRL engine. As to wether I will allow people to add their own scripts -- I dunno. When it comes to modding I'd rather have people help me with Carceri -- it will be a lot more extensible and modifiable than DoomRL could ever be.

Hmm, maybe I'll make a simple DoomRL module for Carceri once I finish it ^_^.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Flap

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 21:29 »

Ok. Cool! thanks

But If I am right; for now we can't have doom to use our own designed level ? Unless it is lost somewhere in the wad file ?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 12:08 »

Not yet ;-)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

flap

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 15:36 »

anyway, these info are allready a good start to create all sort of editors, random generator...

flap

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 17:24 »

And about limiting script in doomRL, I am with you : This game is good because it is terribly simple.

A little bit of level costumisation and generation with a simple and untouched engine sounds very good and attractive to me.
Pages: [1]