Chaosforge Forum

• May 20, 2024, 18:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to beat N!  (Read 2106 times)

James

How to beat N!
« on: August 28, 2008, 13:29 »

So I've been trying for quite a while now trying to get the 'General' rank.

I have a feeling I should be playing the game very differently.  So far I've gone with the idea of going down the first set of stairs I see, and try to run past any big creatures.

Anyone have any tips oh how I beat nightmare?

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: How to beat N!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 14:37 »

My personal hints:

I'd train my character for using Chaingun and Plasma rifle, by choosing Eagle Eye, Son of a Bitch and Triggerhappy as traits. There are much more enemies, so your will level up pretty fast.

Close doors behind you. Monsters resurrect =/

If there is a unique generated, get it at all costs.

Every powerup and medpack has double effect. Small medpacks give double healing, which is 15*2 = 30 = 60% per small medpack! So remember that those are actually useful!

If you have all required traits from the first hint, I'd choose some defensive ones further on; Tough as Nails and Badass. Badass is a very good choice, because with those buffed up healing powerups/items you easily go "Boosted".

Until you have the Chaingun and Plasma rifle and you have enough ammo for those, throw away all shotguns and shells. They will only waste inventory space.

And that's it! I may update this post if I think of a new hint.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Mr_Dead

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: How to beat N!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 16:17 »

I usually follow a slightly different path for Nightmare!.

The real trick to it is to get through each level as fast as possible, while using tricks to prevent resurrection *Killing on open doors, killing on water, killing over another corpse*.  If you ever enter a level and it says its really humid, go find and use any levers until you cover the entire level in water, making resurrection nigh impossible, and allowing you to clear the entire level without any rez problems, *aka Slow and safely.* however there will be no you feel safe message.

Chaingun path is a must, but carrying around a combat shotgun for when alot of formers group together isn't a bad idea in the beginning *provided you find one*.  Grab as many cells as you can, and a plasma rifle, and try to save it for phobos hell.  A rocket launcher can be very useful as well, particularly if you need to clear out a real large room of foes.  Try to save that combat shotgun and a few shells.  If you find the City of Skulls, you have a good shot at clearing it with one, netting you a BFG.

For traits, I'd start out going real offensive with 1(2) EE then 3 SoB, then get defensive with ToN, Ironman, and/or Hellrunner.  I wouldn't choose badass, you'll be getting into to many fights for anything but 3x badass to really be useful, and having either 3 extra armor points, 30 max hp/better medkit healing, or 30% faster mv speed/dodge is much better than no hp degrade over 100%.

Remember that powerups time stacks, and the time is doubled for N!, so take advantage of that.  Use Berserk and Inv wisely, either to kill for exp, or when you have enough supplies to kill cybie, to get down there as quickly and safely as you can.  I'd tell you to grab any unique if you see the message...but that's kind of a given.  If you're doing really well though, it might be better to ignore it.

DON'T try to clear most special levels.  But, entering one as a shortcut to the next level isn't a bad idea.  Hell, you can just walk into Chained Court and grab 4+1 Berserks, or go to the Halls of Carnage for a quick supercharge *and you could go for that BFG as well*.

Last but not least, if you fail...destroy all evidence that you tried :P.  Then try again.  Usually it just takes that perfect game to beat Nightmare!, most definatly if you decided to do a challenge Nightmare!.
Endure.  In enduring grow strong.
Pages: [1]