Chaosforge Forum

• June 15, 2024, 21:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ideas for Implementing Spider Mastermind  (Read 7315 times)

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
Ideas for Implementing Spider Mastermind
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:16 »

Here is my idea for handling the Spider Mastermind.

The way I see it, the way to effectively inspire the same amount of sheer terror that it inspired in the original Doom is to make it fire 12 shots of 1d6.  Yes, that means it can effectively, if lucky, kill you in one shot.  I don't think that's unbalanced, really, because it's supposed to be slightly less dominating than the Cyberdemon, or, depending on your outlook, more dominating.

Obviously, it'd have unlimited ammo.

To allow for victory, it'd be knocked back very easily, to simulate how easy it flinched in the original game.

This is just my kinda brainstorming ideas.

I'm sorry if this is already slated for release.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Ideas for Implementing Spider Mastermind
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:40 »

It could kill you in 1 turn? Holy crap, wouldn't that be very frustrating if the RNG doesn't like you for a moment? o_O
Two or three turns maybe, OK...

Oh and hasn't someone noticed yet that in Original Doom, Spidie wields TWO guns, not only a plasma rifle but also a very rapid shotgun.

My image of Spidie in DoomRL would be just a buffed up arachnotron with lots of HP, plus a rapid shotgun.

BTW, speaking of unlimited ammo, does Cyberdemon have infinite rockets? And if not, how many exactly?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:46 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 17:04 »

It could kill you in 1 turn? Holy crap, wouldn't that be very frustrating if the RNG doesn't like you for a moment? o_O
Two or three turns maybe, OK...

Instakill is not ok. Spider Mastermind in Original Doom had not so fast attack speed (slightly less than the chaingunner), but he dealt more damage per hit.

Oh and hasn't someone noticed yet that in Original Doom, Spidie wields TWO guns, not only a plasma rifle but also a very rapid shotgun.

He had no plasma gun, nor shotgun. He had only one, but very large chaingun. You can trust me.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 17:11 »

He had no plasma gun, nor shotgun. He had only one, but very large chaingun. You can trust me.
Blade is 100% right.
Very large, bad and HPish. And I do not think he should be able to be pushed back almost at all.
One more thing: from what I remember, his cannon was that powerful, that it was not possible to stand next to him when he fired. It simply pushed you away from him.

Btw, there was one episode in which there were Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon in the same big room. With a bit of luck you could make them shot each other. Cyberdemon was usually winning this battle.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 18:18 »

Yeah, 12 d6 is pretty powerful. Like, way too powerful. Even with blue armor, that's going to shred your armor and deal 24 damage, average, if all the shots hit. That's almost half your HP. Of course, with TaN or SoB, that's going to drop. Still, dear lord.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:10 »

As I remember, I've killed that Spidy on Diz with 3 or 4 blasts of BFG. Do anybody could make an DooMRL DMG for it. As for weapons, Spidy  had 1 chaingun which is not strong but fast. As I remember in duel Spidy vs Cybie Spidy won with left 3 shots of rocketgun waiting for it from me.(On ITYTD)
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:49 »

Btw, there was one episode in which there were Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon in the same big room. With a bit of luck you could make them shot each other. Cyberdemon was usually winning this battle.
This was purely because contrary to the player, the Spidy doesn't make any effort to dodge Cybie's rockets.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 12:56 »

I know the SM's weapon was called a chaingun, but didn't it actually fire like a full-auto shotgun? I distinctly remember the thing's shots leaving pockmarks identical to the pattern of the shotty.

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 15:11 »

SM's gun is a majorly damage-buffed chaingun.

The reason the shot spread looks similar is simple: The Chaingun also spreads more than the player's chaingun, and spreads horizontally rather than vertically.  That is why, for instance the SM can target you and keep on firing while you circlestrafe it: It has horizontal spread on it, enough to hit you.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 14:29 »

Redemption Denied, anyone? it was like the Arachnid lair here in the RL, just with like eight or ten SM's instead of arachnotrons. and that was AFTER circle-strafing thirty-some-odd barons. horrible. huge sight radius, and yes, weak-ish-but-very-rapid chaingun. note: forget i said anything about more than one appearing at a time. never said it*digs teddy bear out of closet and rocks back and forth in corner*
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 14:46 »

I know the SM's weapon was called a chaingun, but didn't it actually fire like a full-auto shotgun? I distinctly remember the thing's shots leaving pockmarks identical to the pattern of the shotty.

Maybe it's a shot-chaingun? =)
So a chaingun that shoots shotgun shells =P
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Darkwaterotter

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 17:59 »

Perhaps you could have a separate stair case in the Spider lair that goes to either a series of levels or straight to the masterminds lair

if you where to go with the series of levels idea obviously more spiders spawn
or only spiders spawn...

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 13:30 »

Or maybe make some kind of Diz level(E3M8), where in original Doom you battle SM, maybe right on lvl23.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 17:52 »

The huge chaingun on the spiderdemon's chasis fires three bullets with every shot, much like the shotgun guy's shotgun, but at a rapid rate of 425 shots per minute.
Taken from doom wiki. So yeah, it's essentially a shot-chaingun as Mrazerty called it. I think that in DoomRL terms he'd have an equivalent to Jackhammer (can you spell "T h i s   f * * * i n g   h u r t s"?)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 20:53 »

Can you also say, "This might just kill me in one shot"?  XD

If the SM got marvelously lucky and rolled 3s on all 6 dice, that'd be 18 x 3 = 54.

That HAS the chance of killing someone instantly.
Pages: [1] 2  All