Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 05:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inventory slot Trait  (Read 4958 times)

Darkwaterotter

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Inventory slot Trait
« on: January 01, 2009, 18:08 »

the Title is sort of self-explanatory
why not make a trait that gives you an extra inventory slot
you could call it stockpiler
or something to that effect 

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Inventory slot Trait
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 20:15 »

If it gives you just one, it's not all that useful. If it gives you more than that, it's probably broken. Both statements apply double if you can take it more than once.

Darkwaterotter

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 20:35 »

i find that a single inventory slot extra could be very useful i dont know what your talking about
thats
100 more 10mm
one more unique weapon
50 more shells
or
one more med pack that could save your life

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 03:04 »

i find that a single inventory slot extra could be very useful i dont know what your talking about
Balance. There are some things that could be either useless or overpowered. As such - they are no customization, as either everyone or no one would take them. Every trait should be worth as much as every other trait that is equally hard to get. Would anyone take this trait rather then EE, TaN, HR, etc ? I don't think so. It's easy to deduce, that when they hit the next level, they would just pick something else, because the game is easy enough with as much inventory slots as we have right now. We don't have THAT many levels, do we ? We can't go back and sell our stuff, we aren't slowed down by the amount of stuff we lug around... There is absolutely no need for such a trait.
Even if it gave you 5 more slots, it would still be pointless, because it would only promote picking up more stuff than is really useful. Either picking up things that are not useful at all or picking up stuff that you need less of. In both cases - you're doing it wrong.

Darkwaterotter

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:46 »

ok i see what you mean
however im just throwing out ideas just like anyone else
no need to go into great detail why its a bad idea

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:36 »

That's sort of what a forum is for.

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:04 »

Yeah, kinda' pointless to say that someone's idea is bad without explaining why it is, lol.

But that's me.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 11:31 »

Well, I like this idea o.o .
Maybe not just 1 slot (not much), but along with other feature it could be pretty interesting.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 13:36 »

Even if it gave you 5 more slots, it would still be pointless, because it would only promote picking up more stuff than is really useful. Either picking up things that are not useful at all or picking up stuff that you need less of. In both cases - you're doing it wrong.
I disagree. 5 more slots means a CG char can safely pick up a backup dblSG w/ammo and/or a chainsaw and/or more 10mm ammo so he can swap a rank of EE for one of SoaB, for whatever reason he has. Unbalanced or not, it certainly isn't pointless.

ok i see what you mean
however im just throwing out ideas just like anyone else
no need to go into great detail why its a bad idea
Look at it this way: someone paid your idea enough attention to give you feedback, and did so respectfully. That's a good thing :)
This kind of feedback will give you the tools to improve your ideas in the future.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 16:45 »

TFoN: pretty much. As soon as this thing gives you enough space for a third weapon, it's broken. Before that point, I'm pretty sure any experienced player is just going to stuff it with spare armor, which is not as good as taking other traits.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 17:33 »

I disagree. 5 more slots means a CG char can safely pick up a backup dblSG w/ammo and/or a chainsaw and/or more 10mm ammo so he can swap a rank of EE for one of SoaB, for whatever reason he has. Unbalanced or not, it certainly isn't pointless.
Yeah, a 5-slot trait just sounded unbalanced. Then again - it sounded alluring at the same time...
Hey - why not make "Backpack" a trait and change the reward for the Wall ? Or just add a trait that allows you to carry more ammo per slot...

Zero

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 17:45 »

At 3/4 more inventory slots it begins sounding interesting though, depends on the build if it's really a good idea. Whenever the option causes a serious dilemma it's pretty well balanced.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 11:58 »

At 3/4 more inventory slots it begins sounding interesting though, depends on the build if it's really a good idea.

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 23:31 »

Yeah, I sometimes go for a generic defensive build, using shotguns since they work fairly well even if you don't go for the Shottyman/Hellrunner approach. (I often pick up Juggler, one double shotgun in each hand and no switch time = fun). If I do that I usually end up with four or five weapons, so the extra slots would be nice, but it could easily be too much. The inventory is supposed to be tight.

That said, I don't pick up EE if I do that since I don't really need it, so I still wouldn't use it. Would be rather nice for a rapidfire build, perhaps.

The other reason I find I need space is that I usually find weapon mods before I find an advanced weapon, so if I want to take the Wizkid approach, I end up lugging a bunch around for later. So glad that advanced RL is always guaranteed to show up around lvl 10.....
Pages: [1]